BajaNomad

Microbrew Impaired Mexico

Sharksbaja - 4-3-2005 at 01:57 PM

Pacifico"...."Pacifico" they squeal. That's all I ever hear. :smug:" I would imagine that Mexico is microbrew impaired so to speak. Now, I have had my share of brews in Mex. and I have yet to taste a brew that matches up to a NW Micro. I don't think though that heavily hopped beer would ever be to popular in hot climates. Lagers, pilsners and ales can be brewed to a lighter palate. With milder hops and shortened fermenting cycles a brewmaster can deliver very crisp, clean flavors without the heavy lingering malted hop taste. Or maybe a light Hefewiezen(wheat beer) with am light, crisp citrus finish. A current fancy.
:coolup: I remember my first experience with a Tres XXX in 1969 at a small ranch en route and broken down at Rancho de Castro. On an exeidition down Baja our trek took us over to Malarrimo Beach. The heavy, extra warm beer damn near made me puke. Still the worst beer I can ever remember.

:?:Where does one sample a cerveza brewed in small, controlled batches. It could be a new market in Mex.:light: Its popularity has waned considerably in the NW as the saturation/attrition rate grew when the economy soured. Now only the strong, flexible micro-brewers survive or the giants who bought up many small breweries.

easy--bring your own

BajaVida - 4-3-2005 at 03:47 PM

part of the gear required of the Baja Boyz is to bring about 2 cases of road beer (not what you think) so we have a good supply of microbrews as there normally a dozen of us

but we also support the local deposito, we're just that kind of people

thebajarunner - 4-3-2005 at 04:58 PM

Bring Back Carta Blanca!

BV is partially correct, we bring a couple of cases from home (in my case I bring Asahi which is not bad for over the counter beer delivered in U.S.)
However, I try to wait until we get across the border to get the real stuff, which in my case is clearly Modelo Negra.
Great Stuff!
Sharky, anyone who drinks a heavy, strong, dark beer "extra warm" deserves all the bad taste he gets....
Carta Blanca in the little stubby bottles, with the opener built into the bottom of each one, ah, those were the days.

Baja Arriba!!

ps. BV will drink anything that you can pour... anything!

comitan - 4-3-2005 at 05:03 PM

Carta Blanca is back back but only in cans(La Paz)

Dave - 4-3-2005 at 05:04 PM

La Casta is a microbrew from (I believe) Monterey.

Closer to home, check out the Tijuana brewery. They have a beer garden/club where they sell on tap. GREAT BEER!

Oso - 4-3-2005 at 05:23 PM

Carta Blanca= orines de caballo. I loved XXX oscuro (but cold), What happened to it? My favorite Mexican beer is the bock that only comes out once a year in December- Nochebuena. One of these thick dark stouts with a raw egg in it makes a great hangover cure.

No accounting for taste...

If it hasn't dissapeared, there was a great cerveza de barril- barrel draft only, no cans or bottles, brewed in Monterrey by a German family by the name of Kloster. Very popular in good restaurants in Mexico City.

In Baja, it's pretty much Pacifico or TKT. I'll take the former.

BajaNomad - 4-3-2005 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
...check out the Tijuana brewery. They have a beer garden/club where they sell on tap. GREAT BEER!

http://www.tjbeer.com

Triple IPA

Don Jorge - 4-3-2005 at 07:55 PM

Yes, I am guilty. I bring beer into Mexico. There is nothing like a triple IPA in the hot Baja sun. I gave up on Mexican beers when Tecate switched to aluminum and forever was lost the sweeet steel taste with a touch of lead and a lime twist!
I miss the good old days.

Good beer cn be found

BajaHawk - 4-3-2005 at 09:21 PM

Mexico has a few very good beers. Try Bohemia, sometimes hard to find but well worth it. IPA is my favorite style normaly, but something about the heat and a hoppy bear don't go well together. When in Rome...

Bohemia

Sharksbaja - 4-3-2005 at 10:52 PM

is a decent beer. Similar to Carta Blanca but sweeter and stronger. I have had them off and on for 20 + yrs. A medium lager style, it is available in the Oregon everywhere. Corona is our most popular import. Its skunky taste is its trademark. Some people like the hopped up Modelo but I don't care for it much. We used to have fun visiting the (Pacifico?) brewery in Mazatlan and get schooners of beer for 2 pesos many years ago.

http://www.tjbeer.com/

Nice looking brewery Doug, are there any others? Can you drink cheap at the breweries in Mex. still? Has anyone tried the TJ beer?

Dave - 4-4-2005 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Has anyone tried the TJ beer?

I try at least once most every day. If I get to like it I might drink it more frequently.;D

bajaruby - 4-4-2005 at 09:27 AM

You could make your own and experiment. Have you checked out "Don Humphry's Missing Links"? He has a site that tell you how.:wow:

Bruce R Leech - 4-4-2005 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Pacifico"...."Pacifico" they squeal. That's all I ever hear. :smug:" I would imagine that Mexico is microbrew impaired so to speak. Now, I have had my share of brews in Mex. and I have yet to taste a brew that matches up to a NW Micro. I don't think though that heavily hopped beer would ever be to popular in hot climates. Lagers, pilsners and ales can be brewed to a lighter palate. With milder hops and shortened fermenting cycles a brewmaster can deliver very crisp, clean flavors without the heavy lingering malted hop taste. Or maybe a light Hefewiezen(wheat beer) with am light, crisp citrus finish. A current fancy.
:coolup: I remember my first experience with a Tres XXX in 1969 at a small ranch en route and broken down at Rancho de Castro. On an exeidition down Baja our trek took us over to Malarrimo Beach. The heavy, extra warm beer damn near made me puke. Still the worst beer I can ever remember.

:?:Where does one sample a cerveza brewed in small, controlled batches. It could be a new market in Mex.:light: Its popularity has waned considerably in the NW as the saturation/attrition rate grew when the economy soured. Now only the strong, flexible micro-brewers survive or the giants who bought up many small breweries.

Sharksbaja if you would open a seafood restaurant and microbrewery here in Mulege the rest of them could all close:lol:

But Bruce

Sharksbaja - 4-4-2005 at 11:33 AM

you already scared me off......

Bruce R Leech - 4-4-2005 at 11:46 AM

:lol:don't be scared off. just think it will be fun and I will git fat and drunk.:lol:

Cincodemayo - 4-4-2005 at 11:47 AM

Fat Tire from New Belgium breweries in Colorado.
But as long as a brew is ice cold it fits the bill....even Mickey's Big Mouth for that quick buzz. Those Carte Blanco bottle openers on the bottom were cool.

Fat Tire

Sharksbaja - 4-4-2005 at 11:59 AM

is pretty good, a little over-rated, the stronger pale ale was popular a couple yrs back. Mickys' has that wonderful skunky smell:P

Tijuana Brewery...

David K - 4-4-2005 at 05:44 PM

was at last year's Pyramid Resort Book Signing Party... and they provided FREE full size 'samples' of their light and dark brews! Hey Keri... are they coming back?:o

pappy - 4-4-2005 at 06:28 PM

tres xxxx, and carta blanca were good-too much darn fun actually.but, anymoe it's cold tecate with salt and lime-the poor man's magarita! a nice cold ballena does the trick between the highway and camp, then it's tecate time....:o