BajaNomad

Side by Side UTV Windshields

G-Man - 12-22-2021 at 08:15 AM

Hola a todos!

I am going to ordering a new 2022 Polaris General XP 4 1000 Deluxe with Ride Command and would like advice about windshields.

We ride without helmets & goggles_ just sunglasses, considering a full glass manual tip out Polaris front windshield and a rear mesh wind jammer.

Thoughts, personal experiences, and opinions regarding windshields?

Gracias y Saludos!

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2021 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by G-Man  

We ride without helmets & goggles_ just sunglasses, considering a full glass manual tip out Polaris front windshield and a rear mesh wind jammer.

You should wear a helmet.

100X - 12-22-2021 at 09:40 AM

Second that!

JZ - 12-22-2021 at 09:44 AM

Here's the one I use the most: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQNFJTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b...

It's half size. Very strong plastic.

A full size one should be used sparingly. They will get mud all over them and you can't see.

Howard - 12-22-2021 at 09:52 AM

I second the half windshield. I use sunglasses only unless I am on a dusty road unless I am on a long dusty ride then googles with sun glasses.

PaulW - 12-22-2021 at 10:22 AM

What I know but not used
*Full windshields can cause warmer cabin
*Some say more dust or some say less dust inside the cabin
*Never use any kind of full plactic windshield becasue static will cause dust to cling and make the viewing impossible
*Regardless because of dust use a helmet with a fresh air breather to overcome inhaling the dust. With a helmet. A built in intercom is desirable for communication
*Half plastic windshields work fine but do not offer protection from the flying rocks from your buddies. A helmet solves that problem or goggles offer eye protection.

Bob and Susan - 12-22-2021 at 12:05 PM

windshields are not required., why buy one?

if you wear a helmet you are goo to go

i always wonder why boats have windshields...

they all just block the view and fog up

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2021 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

Bobby, speaking of wondering, i always wonder why suzy allows you to post using her name!

John Harper - 12-22-2021 at 01:18 PM

Wasn't an old Baja racer killed from a head injury in an SxS in the last year of two, driving sans helmet?

John

JZ - 12-22-2021 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

Definitely need one on a boat in the ocean if you are going off shore.

Water is freezing cold on the Pacific and very cold in the SOC some times of year. Plus it can get really rough out. You can't drive a boat with water in your face.

I just bought a new boat and it has glass to the T-top and even some on the sides.

RZR could get away without one. Half windshield just makes it a little safer.

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by JZ]

100X - 12-22-2021 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Wasn't an old Baja racer killed from a head injury in an SxS in the last year of two, driving sans helmet?

John

A friend of mine that qualifies as an "old Baja racer" died in one without a helmet about 10 years ago when he had a head-on with a car around a corner on a dirt road.

Another "old Baja racer" friend of mine that many of you probably know and his wife almost died about 5 years ago "just going out for a slow putt" without their helmets.

Goat's advice is good on this point!

Don Pisto - 12-22-2021 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

"Pistol" Pete Sohren........:(

100X - 12-22-2021 at 02:00 PM

So 3 examples of very accomplished drivers/riders making the mistake that they were either not going fast enough or were too capable to need one.

Also, add window nets.

Also, put reflectors on driver's side mirror and fenders if you will be driving at night with other cars as the headlights are inboard and oncoming traffic could think they have extra room on your side of the line.

Safety is so important down here. Respect these things just like we need to respect Baja itself.

John Harper - 12-22-2021 at 02:17 PM

Used to ride my Harley a lot without helmet until they passed the helmet law in California. Got hit on Del Dios highway about two weeks later, back of my helmet took a beating. I'm a believer in helmets, probably wouldn't be here today.

John

JZ - 12-22-2021 at 02:28 PM

When I was a kid we never wore helmets on our dirt bikes.

Always do now.

Never wear one skiing though.

Bob and Susan - 12-22-2021 at 02:45 PM

you do need a windshield on a Pacific Ocean boat...

we had a complete camping cover when we would drive over to catalina from newport beach...

it got pretty cold and choppy out there but it came right off when we moored up

little ski boats dont need them...when its 100f

no helmet in a boat

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2021 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
When I was a kid we never wore helmets on our dirt bikes.

Always do now.

Never wear one skiing though.

Pretty stupid to not wear a helmet skiing

G-Man - 12-22-2021 at 03:00 PM

So…

Now that we have collectively handled all the helmets & boat window subjects in this thread, maybe we can get on track with the initial reason for this thread :cool:

Thoughts, opinions, and experiences with windshields?
Full? Partial? Glass? Poly?
Front only? Rear also?
Windshield in the front & Dust/Wind Jammer Net in the rear?

Thanks!

JZ - 12-22-2021 at 03:06 PM

Half on the front. Plastic. Nets on the sides and back. They have back nets that will cut down greatly on dust.

Here is a good video that lists several good accessorizes for new RZR's. He also has links of where to get them.

https://youtu.be/_de-DxkRjX0

He shows a good thing to do for the back window.

Also, I have see full size front windows that will fold down or up.

SuperATV is a great place for this stuff. It is available through Amazon.

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by JZ]

100X - 12-22-2021 at 03:07 PM

PaulW summed it all up pretty well.

bajafreaks - 12-22-2021 at 03:28 PM

I have a Polaris Ranger with the full glass windshield and rear plastic. This combo created too much dust for me, so I tried the half windshield in plastic, and it works a lot better.

John Harper - 12-22-2021 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by G-Man  
So…

Now that we have collectively handled all the helmets & boat window subjects in this thread, maybe we can get on track with the initial reason for this thread :cool:

Thanks!

Well, lack of using a windshield, no matter the configuration is unlikely to lead to death. Lack of using a helmet can and does.

Blame us for being responsible, and concerned for your well being.

You're welcome!

John

advrider - 12-22-2021 at 09:26 PM

I run a half on my 1000 and it cuts down on the dust but I think a full would be better. Glass is more money but the plastic scratch pretty easy unless maybe you spring for Lexan?

basautter - 12-23-2021 at 07:14 AM

I have a Tusk half windshield on my 2015 Polaris Rzr XP 1000 with a scratch resistant coating. It pushes the wind over my head when driving. This works as long as you are less than 6 feet tall. A full windshield creates a vacuum that causes dust to get pulled in. Also, if it gets too dirty, your visibility is blocked.

The Tusk is cost effective and has worked well for me, but there are plenty of options at https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/.

PaulW - 12-23-2021 at 07:36 AM

About plactic Lexan is the easiest to scratch thenon-scratch caotins will not help the soft lexan material. It is almost impossibel the repair Lexan and its derivitve to remove scratches. Lexan had other names - look them up
Acrylic is much better for scratch resistance and scratches can get removed.
Aricraft except for home builts all use Acrylic. It has less impact resistance thatn Lexan so slightly thicker is the usual way to go.
Laminated windshield glass like autos use is a way better choice. It comes in various thicknesses and the local Mexican glass guy is good to hold the cost down. Buy and install glass yourself using non OEM glass kit to save a lot of cash. My buddy did just that and he said it was a easy install.

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by PaulW]

JZ - 12-23-2021 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
About plactic Lexan is the easiest to scratch thenon-scratch caotins will not help the soft lexan material. It is almost impossibel the repair Lexan and its derivitve to remove scratches. Lexan had other names - look them up
Acrylic is much better for scratch resistance and scratches can get removed.
Aricraft except for home builts all use Acrylic. It has less impact resistance thatn Lexan so slightly thicker is the usual way to go.
Laminated windshield glass like autos use is a way better choice. It comes in various thicknesses and the local Mexican glass guy is good to hold the cost down. Buy and install glass yourself using non OEM glass kit to save a lot of cash. My buddy did just that and he said it was a easy install.

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by PaulW]

Glass? Why?

The plastic one I linked is $134. They say it is many times stronger than glass and is stratch resistant.

Not a mark on it so far. I wouldn't consider glass.

advrider - 12-23-2021 at 09:16 AM

My half window is a Tusk as well but is full of scratches but being a half, it doesn't affect our view. Some people have said the full creates a vacuum, ours did until we did the fill panel in our half doors. Once that was done no more dust billowing in the cab.

100X - 12-23-2021 at 09:30 AM

PaulW, did your buddy prepare a pattern for the custom windshield? Was it safety glass? How did he attach it? Would probably want to build my own for Montana if this is an option.

PaulW - 12-23-2021 at 10:59 AM

The kit he bought came with safety glass and all the stuff needed to attach it to his Rzr. He said is was a perfiect fit. No issue about the shape of fitment. I did not examine the attachent so do not know about that.

Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
PaulW, did your buddy prepare a pattern for the custom windshield? Was it safety glass? How did he attach it? Would probably want to build my own for Montana if this is an option.