BajaNomad

Serious vados S of Vizcaino; rocks on 5

eguillermo - 12-31-2021 at 06:04 PM

The vados have probably already dried out and maybe the rocks are already cleared, but here are two observations from a 10-hour trip from Santa Rosalia to Calexico today:

-- Approaching Vizcaino from the South, at least two of the vados were REALLY running with brown water across the road, kind of like a class II wave train if you can picture that. Lots of small cars were lined up waiting; big trucks plowed across and so did I in a Tacoma on 4WD high, but not without some slipping. It was exciting.

-- Some big rocks on 5 climbing up out of Chapala area, either side in several places. Definitely go slow if they're still there, as they pretty much block an entire lane. Rest of the road north after coming down to Bahia Willard area was rock-free and water-free and fast.

Drive safe amigos!

aburruss - 1-2-2022 at 05:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up!! Drove north on MEX1 yesterday (actually took the long way around from San juanico… details on that trip to come soon)

Water everywhere along side the road in places that it’s not usually. But the road was clear in the travel lanes. Minor rocks on MEX5 just past Chapala today.

Be aware, as always though!!

shari - 1-3-2022 at 11:50 AM

The coast road between Asuncion & La Bocana is washed out....nobody getting through yet but supposedly it was going to be worked on today.
Lots of mud in the vados so drive carefully...lots of accidents.

BajaBlanca - 1-4-2022 at 12:50 PM

I did not hear a word that it was washed out! Whoaaa

We got heavy rain but no road in town was washed out, that I have seen.

David K - 1-4-2022 at 12:59 PM

There are some serious vados along that coastal road... especially between Asunción and Punta Prieta.