BajaNomad

Shari - got any word on whale status for 2022?

wilderone - 1-2-2022 at 08:09 AM

I know it's still early, but do you know anything about the migration numbers? Health of the whales arriving? Is the GN salt plant launch site and camp going to operate as usual?
All the best to you.

BajaBlanca - 1-3-2022 at 08:49 AM

We, here in La Bocana, have seen very few heading south this year so far.

shari - 1-3-2022 at 11:38 AM

The migration has just begun the last week with whales passing California. There is a handful of whales in Laguna Ojo de Liebre now but we wont start tours probably for another couple weeks. As far as I know everything is normal but the ejido campground area wont start tours till Jan.15 at least.
We are super booked up and many dates are already full as are most of our Whale Camps.

wilderone - 1-3-2022 at 08:04 PM

Glad for your booming business, Shari. A memorable experience in store for them. I'd enjoy any reports about the whales as you learn about them.

shari - 1-5-2022 at 09:13 AM

the whales seem to be recovering from the food shortages by foraging further afield like my friend Fingers was up in Russia! They are also feeding longer up north which has altered the migration by being about 3 weeks later than normal. Last season we noted whales were in better shape and not so many emaciated whales.

Also we saw waaaaay more mating than the last 3 years. Gray whales limit reproduction when their food source is compromised. So we had much fewer calves in the lagoon than usual but increased mating is a good sign they whales have figured out how to deal with the food shortage. So we are hoping for a big increase in calves this season and happier whales!

I must be part whale!

AKgringo - 1-5-2022 at 09:51 AM

Feeding longer.... migrating later.... that's me! It has definitely been a long time since any mating has occurred, but you say there might be hope for the future? :D

[Edited on 1-5-2022 by AKgringo]

wilderone - 1-6-2022 at 10:36 AM

AK - and the resulting calves?? LOL