BajaNomad

Our new place in Alanya, Turkey

BajaBlanca - 1-30-2022 at 07:20 AM

We went to Alanya for a vacation and liked it so much, we bought ourselves an apartment there.

what did we like so much? History is everywhere. A couple minutes from our house is a cable car that leads up to a medieval xastle. A couple minutes away is a museum with artifacts that are 500, 1,000 and more years old. Coins, art, jewelery. Beauty: across the street is the Mediterranean! Ease: all around us are restaurants, pharmacies, bars and Turkish baths. Very convenient not to have to use a car to go grocery shopping.

Here are the photos of our new place, which is furnished exactly as you see.

The view out the front window and to the right.

The living room.

View towards the kitchen.

There are 3 rooms and 1 bath which we will rapidly remodel into 3 rooms 2 baths.

Is this not so pretty! I am very excited and Les is too. You will be going with us on this adventure if I can find a way to post photos!

Make it a great day. Off to San Diego now to start this new adventure.

David K - 1-30-2022 at 07:34 AM

Congrats! Baja and Baja Nomads will miss you not being in Baja. History is an attraction and one huge reason I am attracted to Baja. The apartment (do they say 'flat'?) looks wonderful... Keep us up to speed!

mtgoat666 - 1-30-2022 at 10:03 AM

Tebrikler!

pjpvi - 1-30-2022 at 10:06 AM

All the best to you and Les in your new Turkish life! La Bocana will never be the same without you.

surfhat - 1-30-2022 at 11:42 AM

Neither will your unending paying it forward for others that exemplifies your life wherever you choose to live.

Turkey is lucky to have you and Les.

Baja and Baja Nomad has been lucky to have you and Les.

If there is one member of Nomad that I can always count on for inspiration, it is you and Les, and for that, I am grateful.

The good thing is we will still have you in our thoughts no matter where you live.

All the best on your new adventure. Nice to see some palm trees in the depth of winter. If there is enough warmth for them to survive, it is enough warmth for me too.

Happy trails.

TMW - 1-30-2022 at 12:46 PM

Nice, very nice.

BajaBlanca - 1-30-2022 at 04:46 PM

Thanks everyone and I will still be in mega touch! I love reading about what everyone is doing. Thanks again for all the love you have shown us over the years!

My plan is to come back for a long visit in 3 years so start planning to see La Bocana! I fully expect everyone to visit us here if you have not gone to Turkey. Rentals in Turkey, near the beach runs $300 a month. Let me know, I will find a rental and be your tour guide. Trust me, you will become as enchanted as we did.

John Harper - 2-1-2022 at 09:25 AM

Wow, what a beautiful place!

John

Paulina - 2-4-2022 at 11:50 AM

Wishing you and Les all the best as you begin this new adventure.

Saludos,
Paulina >*)))>{

Copacetico1 - 2-5-2022 at 11:20 AM

Inflation in Turkey is at a near two-decade high...36%!

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/inflation-in-turkey-is-at-...

Loretana - 2-5-2022 at 08:23 PM

Dear Blanca, what a wonderful adventure you and Les have chosen!

I just watched an excellent double episode of Rick Steves Travel Show featuring your newfound home, and I bet you are thrilled to be moving to the "Turkish Riviera".....

It has been such a pleasure to enjoy your wonderful posts here on Nomad, and I am inspired by all you have done for your students.

God bless you both. I look forward to more news of your new home.

Loretana

[Edited on 2-6-2022 by Loretana]

BajaBlanca - 2-6-2022 at 12:09 AM

Loretana I haven't seen R S's episode but I will look for it!

We are so happy, so happy. This was a perfect time for us to move...while we can really appreciate all Alanya and Turkey have to offer. You can rent a whole apt near Kleopatra beach for $300 a month, quite the deal for visitors.

Our new place needs some modifications: first off, we want a 2nd bathroom.

Mmore later, our internet at home gets turned on on Monday.

BajaBlanca - 2-7-2022 at 10:35 PM

Hello gang! Just checking in quickly to let you know that we are almost 12 hours ahead of all of you, amazing to be on the other side of the world.

We are happy HAPPY here. Saw one architect yesterday and will see another today for estimates on adding one new bathroom and doing some improvements to the kitchen.

This town is lovely, everything is close by in walking distance. For us, a pleasure to be able to walk for provisions, meds, anything.

Photos to come another day. Paz and Tacos to all of you.

David K - 2-8-2022 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Hello gang! Just checking in quickly to let you know that we are almost 12 hours ahead of all of you, amazing to be on the other side of the world.

We are happy HAPPY here. Saw one architect yesterday and will see another today for estimates on adding one new bathroom and doing some improvements to the kitchen.

This town is lovely, everything is close by in walking distance. For us, a pleasure to be able to walk for provisions, meds, anything.

Photos to come another day. Paz and Tacos to all of you.

This was posted at 9:35pm San Diego time, Monday night. I take it it was around 9:35am Tuesday morning, there? Posting from the future!! When do we all drive flying cars?? LOL

Loretana - 2-8-2022 at 11:58 AM

Blanca, I just looked at some video of Kleopatra's Beach, and it is so intriguing to realize that she bathed there! I'm just picturing you there lounging.....:saint:

what fun! Keep the photos coming!

Cheering you both on from Lovely Loreto

BajaBlanca - 2-8-2022 at 05:27 PM

I am indeed posting from the future. How bizarre is that? I am 12 hours, give or take an hour or two, from Baja and Baja Sur.

There are so many videos of Alanya on YouTube! People walk down the boardwalk and the streets filming away. Les must have watched most of them, it was his pastime before we finally moved.

Adventuresome? Moving to La Bocana and being the only expats for 2 years....that was adventuresome!! And turned out to be so much fun.

Our intention last vacation here was to search for a warmer climate, beach town in Portugal. Then we liked Alanya so much, here we are.

BajaDanD - 2-10-2022 at 12:33 AM

LA Bocana won't be the same I'm sad to see you go but Happy as heck to see you moving to such a beautiful place

BajaBlanca - 2-11-2022 at 10:57 PM

Thanks! We are so happy. We bought a down comforter for the nights which are freezing. The days are glorious and warm 75F!

All the restaurants here offer an English Breakfast so Les feels right at home.

wilderone - 2-14-2022 at 09:35 AM

What a charming place - love the chandeliers! And the ocean just across the street - just like LaBocana!!

BajaBlanca - 2-14-2022 at 10:37 PM

It is just like La Bocana and mostly, just like Rio de Janeiro with the small shops, the mostly 5 story apartment buildings and people walking all day long on the malecon.

And czts!
Cats absolutely everywhere!! One or more for every single restaurant, every single store and even at our building. Yesterday, we bought a water/food bowl for it. Still have not named it. How I miss my Boots!

David K - 2-15-2022 at 08:52 AM

A lot of cats mean no rats!