BajaNomad

Inflation in Baja

JDCanuck - 2-11-2022 at 06:07 AM

Mexico has normally had pretty cheap electricity compared to Canada and the US. Along with gasoline price increases, is anyone noticing much more costly food, electricity, propane and natural gas prices lately?

[Edited on 2-11-2022 by JDCanuck]

4x4abc - 2-11-2022 at 07:30 AM

balancing 2 tires went from $100 to 200

dog food (40 lb) went from $585 to $730

my cigars went from $83 to $93 ea

bread still $150

Gas still around $20.50

beer unchanged

JZ - 2-11-2022 at 07:55 AM

The electric bill on my house in Sonora was always very high in the summer months. Much higher than the US.

JDCanuck - 2-11-2022 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
balancing 2 tires went from $100 to 200

dog food (40 lb) went from $585 to $730

my cigars went from $83 to $93 ea

bread still $150

Gas still around $20.50

beer unchanged

So the necessities , Beer, Gas and Bread remain about the same, while transportation repairs and pet food is rising. We are seeing drastic increases in energy, most foods up here, altho, yeah bread is still the same. I checked the cost of propane in Mexico tho for the backup generator, and it has almost doubled in a couple years. This and gasoline are the only energy costs we have down in Baja, so I was getting a bit worried. Good to hear gasoline costs have stayed down, likely due to significant hedging by Mexico, while it is hitting new highs up here and oil is still well below past peaks. I see a new 1970's type inflationary period setting in globally and preparing to hedge myself wherever possible.

[Edited on 2-11-2022 by JDCanuck]

JZ - 2-11-2022 at 08:26 AM

I've watched a bunch of stuff on the Canadian truckers. Good for those guys. But it's definitely gonna hose up the supply chain even more.

What about Chokis'?

AKgringo - 2-11-2022 at 09:00 AM

Can I still afford to get my cookie fix at an Oxxo?

David K - 2-11-2022 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Why is this in the Off-Roading forum?

DavidK: My fault I guess, I was unaware of the consequences of starting a new topic by bringing up an existing post and hitting the new topic tab. I promise to be more careful in future.

Oh, no worries... just wondering if I missed some reason (which I do more often as I get older)!

This is Doug's forum and he moved it to Q&A and removed my question (good job, Doug).

Gasoline this week at the cheapest place typically in San Diego North County (Costco, San Marcos) was $4.29 for 87 octane. Since everything needs to be shipped from the source to the market, this allowing fuel prices to rise, directly increases the costs of EVERYTHING.

JDCanuck - 2-11-2022 at 10:21 AM

Based on fuel costs rising, and then eventually moving to costs of electricity, it seems it's a better time than ever to consider solar, altho lately even it has been affected by supply and tariff cost increases after decades of steadily decreasing costs. I noticed quite a few people in on grid areas just install enough solar to keep them down at the lowest tier and give them power for necessary equipment in outages. Seems like an increasingly wise way to go.

bajatrailrider - 2-11-2022 at 07:23 PM

All goods are up in Mexico City water and power still cheap. Water went up to 7 bucks a month. Power Nov. Dec. 15 bucks two months.

JDCanuck - 2-12-2022 at 10:34 AM

We were amazed at the low cost of water at 12 pesos or even lower to get the bottle refilled. The Mexican government seems to be doing extremely well at keeping gasoline, power and water costs down in this global high demand period. Grow your own fruit and vegies, catch fish and collect oysters and it's a whole lot cheaper still to survive down there.

BajaParrothead - 2-12-2022 at 10:46 AM

Case of Pacifico in Los Barriles went from $350 to $370

JZ - 2-12-2022 at 12:49 PM

We were amazed at the low cost of water at 12 pesos or even lower to get the bottle refilled. The Mexican government seems to be doing extremely well at keeping gasoline, power and water costs down in this global high demand period. Grow your own fruit and vegies, catch fish and collect oysters and it's a whole lot cheaper still to survive down there.

They wanted the price of gas to go up in the US so they could force ppl to EVs.

Don't think that is gonna work out too well for them.

mtgoat666 - 2-12-2022 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

They wanted the price of gas to go up in the US so they could force ppl to EVs.

Don't think that is gonna work out too well for them.

Who is the “they” in your conspiracy theory?

Udo - 2-12-2022 at 07:39 PM

That is almost a 50% increase!

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
for years my electrical bills stayed around $5 a month now they've jumped up to a whopping $7 a month. couple years ago Tecate was 120p a 12 pack now its always around 150p. Telnor has gone up a few bucks also.

Bajaboy - 2-12-2022 at 09:08 PM

It costs me about the same to fill up here as it does in San Diego. The cost of water (for five gallons) recently went from 15-20 pesos. Electricity is not cheap either. So I'd have to disagree with your statement.

But overall, the cost of living here is well below living in San Diego. The biggest difference is that there are few opportunities to spend money where we live.

Bajaboy - 2-13-2022 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Electricity is not cheap either. So I'd have to disagree with your statement

If you're careful about consumption, electricity sells below the cost of production.

Heavy users pay more for their lifestyle choice.

My wife teaches on her computer and both kids use their computers for school. Throw in a tv and a few other appliances and we easily go above the lowest range. We don't own a/c and only turned on our electric heater once. Not really a lifestyle choice here.

mtgoat666 - 2-13-2022 at 12:31 PM

https://en.www.inegi.org.mx/temas/inpc/

Inegi publishes inflation rates..,

As of January, 7 percent core inflation rate

JDCanuck - 2-13-2022 at 01:05 PM

Lencho: I noted before you have exceptionally low power costs and was wondering how you manage it? Do you have a limited amount of solar power and solar water heating to offset the higher costs of LPG and higher tier power rates? Passive cooling designed into your home?

Mexico has opted for a rapidly escalating cost structure beyond the very basics, and this allows poorer people to get refrigeration and minimal lighting and charging for phones and computers. The fully luxurious lifestyles we pay pretty flat costs for up here provide the subsidies in Mexico for the poorest out there that don't have tv's or other luxury appliances. Seems like a good system to me.

Up here my cheapest tier runs at a combined cost(including the daily minimum charge) of about 12.8 cents per kwh in Canadian Dollars, while anything above that level runs at just over 14 cents. Hardly any reason to reduce demand as luxury items become very inexpensive to operate.

[Edited on 2-13-2022 by JDCanuck]

wilderone - 2-13-2022 at 01:53 PM

well, thank gawd -- the beer is unchanged. all is right in the world

phmilo - 2-13-2022 at 06:48 PM

Lencho: I noted before you have exceptionally low power costs and was wondering how you manage it?

Grid power only, rarely use air conditioning (I grew up in Phoenix & fans work great), gas water heater & stove, no other major appliances.

I'm surprised at Bajaboy's situation-- none of what he listed are major consumers, unless his "few other appliances" happen to include large motors or resistence elements. Pressurized water system?

I had a housemate one time who used to follow me around turning off lights because our power bill was high. One day I showed him a comparison between the impact of using the 5,000 watt electric clothes dryer compared to leaving all the lights and other appliances turned on (he stopped worrying about the lights and suggested a clothesline).

One of those "Kill a Watt" plug-in power meters can be illuminating, showing up problems with inefficient refrigerators, for example.

And now with most lighting beind LED it's even less of a concern. Compressors and pumps are a huge impact, and of course any resistive heater.

We are working to install a solar system in our place that will support the AC in the day/evening. Trying to decide how much we want to scale the battery side to see if we can carry most of the evening as well.

JDCanuck - 2-13-2022 at 07:04 PM

I suspect if you get the room temps down to a comfortable level during the hottest part of the day, maintaining them through the cooling evening after 6 pm should require far less load. As batteries tend to be the most expensive part of a solar system, I would undersize and add more in parallel later if you find it inadequate. A/C does seem a natural fit to solar. Advantage to having solar installed is you can use it for emergency backup on grid failures for refrigeration or communication.

Bajaboy - 2-13-2022 at 08:39 PM

Lencho: I noted before you have exceptionally low power costs and was wondering how you manage it?

Grid power only, rarely use air conditioning (I grew up in Phoenix & fans work great), gas water heater & stove, no other major appliances.

I'm surprised at Bajaboy's situation-- none of what he listed are major consumers, unless his "few other appliances" happen to include large motors or resistence elements. Pressurized water system?

I had a housemate one time who used to follow me around turning off lights because our power bill was high. One day I showed him a comparison between the impact of using the 5,000 watt electric clothes dryer compared to leaving all the lights and other appliances turned on (he stopped worrying about the lights and suggested a clothesline).

One of those "Kill a Watt" plug-in power meters can be illuminating, showing up problems with inefficient refrigerators, for example.

We used to pay about 1000 pesos per year in the past. We normally were here about 2-3 months each year. Our fridge was always on. Now our bill is about 1700 pesos for two months.

I asked my neighbor last night and he said he pays about the same. We plan on getting solar in the future to help out. I wonder if prices change based on location. I vaguely recall my buddy in Culiacan telling me they get a subsidy in summer for the heat. ?????

As I said previously, we have to work really hard to spend money. I'm not complaining about the cost of electricity but I do wonder how others can afford it.

Lee - 2-13-2022 at 09:42 PM

We used to pay about 1000 pesos per year in the past. We normally were here about 2-3 months each year. Our fridge was always on. Now our bill is about 1700 pesos for two months.

Looks like you use to paid $4.00US a month and pay $40US a month now. Solar payback will be 6-10 years with lots of variables.

Inflation caught up with Pescadero years ago with restaurants charging California prices. Don't like it, don't eat out much anymore. Waiting for the $4.00 taco.

JDCanuck - 2-13-2022 at 11:10 PM

It really is looking like the bottled gas (Propane or Butane) prices in Baja are going to be the killers in the near future. I would look at reducing gas use rather than electricity costs at only 40USD per month for electricity. Solar hot water or dual element electric hot water with one element powered by solar cells would be a good beginning. But as you are only there 2 months a year even that doesn't seem worthwhile.

[Edited on 2-14-2022 by JDCanuck]

Bajaboy - 2-14-2022 at 06:22 AM

It really is looking like the bottled gas (Propane or Butane) prices in Baja are going to be the killers in the near future. I would look at reducing gas use rather than electricity costs at only 40USD per month for electricity. Solar hot water or dual element electric hot water with one element powered by solar cells would be a good beginning. But as you are only there 2 months a year even that doesn't seem worthwhile.

We just bought a new propane tank. We buy the middle sized one. The price went from about 840 pesos to 925 pesos. It took about 7 months for us to use it. We use our stove and oven often. So for us, propane is very inexpensive.

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2022 at 07:35 AM

We just bought a new propane tank. We buy the middle sized one. The price went from about 840 pesos to 925 pesos. It took about 7 months for us to use it. We use our stove and oven often. So for us, propane is very inexpensive.

So you fuel cost have increased 10%, but it is no skin off your back,…

With core inflation running at 7%, some less affluent Mexicans may be losing skin off their backs, eh?

Not just in Baja!

AKgringo - 2-14-2022 at 09:49 AM

In January, PG&E raised residential electric rates 8%, and gas 11%! This morning it was announced that electricity will go up another 9% on March 1st.

It won't affect me as much as most homes, because I heat with wood, and cool with fans. Shade trees and air flow management are part of the comfort level scenario.

bajatrailrider - 2-14-2022 at 10:22 AM

Since Electricity so cheap I just got new bill today 2 months 8 bucks. I removed gas tankless water heater. That nobody that I know likes bought 10 gal elect water heater . Cost Ensenada 180.00 DL same water heater home depo. across border so cal 390.00 dl .

Don Pisto - 2-14-2022 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Since Electricity so cheap I just got new bill today 2 months 8 bucks. I removed gas tankless water heater. That nobody that I know likes bought 10 gal elect water heater . Cost Ensenada 180.00 DL same water heater home depo. across border so cal 390.00 dl .

interesting Larry! I've been intrigued with Shari's lodge set up mounting small electric water heaters right in the bathrooms, does your latest bill reflect the electric water heater? man I hate buying propane

JZ - 2-14-2022 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
In January, PG&E raised residential electric rates 8%, and gas 11%! This morning it was announced that electricity will go up another 9% on March 1st.

It won't affect me as much as most homes, because I heat with wood, and cool with fans. Shade trees and air flow management are part of the comfort level scenario.

Gas bill when from $84 to $300 from a year ago. Electric bill when up $140 ($380 to $520) compared to January last year with the same usage.

All the neighbors are crying about it on NextDoor (neighborhood social media).

AKgringo - 2-14-2022 at 11:38 AM

I qualify for PG&E's lowest rate, and I don't use much energy. My monthly bill for gas, and electricity, has rarely topped $50.

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2022 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Gas bill when from $84 to $300 from a year ago. Electric bill when up $140 ($380 to $520) compared to January last year with the same usage.

All the neighbors are crying about it on NextDoor (neighborhood social media).

with solar, my SDG&E annual elec bill is about $100. i put in solar 7 years ago, figure i already paid off the cost and am now coasting on almost "free" elec cost.

we run the AC whenever we feel like it, and have converted our water heating from gas to elec. waiting for the gas dryer to die before we convert dryer to elec.
still got nat gas heat... not bad costwise, does not get too cold in san diego.

JDCanuck - 2-14-2022 at 12:17 PM

Based on what I am reading here, lets hope the Fed is correct in saying this is temporary and about to be fixed. Mexico is somehow resisting the high inflation in energy and drinking water costs we are seeing north of the border.

Bajaboy - 2-14-2022 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

So you fuel cost have increased 10%, but it is no skin off your back,…

With core inflation running at 7%, some less affluent Mexicans may be losing skin off their backs, eh?

Most people I know in town can handle paying 85 more pesos over a 6 month period. :light::light::light:

Bajaboy - 2-14-2022 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

interesting Larry! I've been intrigued with Shari's lodge set up mounting small electric water heaters right in the bathrooms, does your latest bill reflect the electric water heater? man I hate buying propane

Most people in town have electric water heaters. We have two of them. Some people have them wired to be constantly on while others turn them on as needed. It normally takes about 10 minutes to warm up.

bajatrailrider - 2-14-2022 at 02:43 PM

I have on off switch in house for E water heater . turn on about 5pm eat dinner bath then wash dishes turn off. Yes new bill is one month e heater one month old no good for nothing tankless heater. Im little worried they made mistake on my two month bill 168 pesos v old bill of 300 pesos.

Bajaboy - 2-14-2022 at 02:56 PM

Most people in town have electric water heaters. We have two of them.

Something you happened to neglect mentioning when you were detailing all those other low-consumption appliances. :lol:

You're in great solar hot-water country; you might be surprised at the impact of shutting down your resistance-element water heaters.

We have two showers hence two 5 gallon tanks. They are operated by flipping a switch when in use. I really doubt they would be the deal breaker.

Now I did forget to mention my brewing equipment, kegarator, and pellet bbq:light:

A few neighbors have solar hot water but with mixed results.

JZ - 2-14-2022 at 03:00 PM

Back in 2005 we had a couple summer months were our electric bill hit $2,000 USD in Sonora.

bajatrailrider - 2-15-2022 at 08:04 PM

The Point why go to Sonora in summer time? When all people live there go to Ensenada?

JDCanuck - 3-7-2022 at 07:22 PM

I have on off switch in house for E water heater . turn on about 5pm eat dinner bath then wash dishes turn off. Yes new bill is one month e heater one month old no good for nothing tankless heater. Im little worried they made mistake on my two month bill 168 pesos v old bill of 300 pesos.

Electric heaters are troublesome with my house on full solar. Still trying to work out how to get sufficient hot water at night without running down the batteries excessively. Going to try a timer so it only preheats when we have excess solar in the afternoon and maintain the temperature up with following gas instantaneous heater at occasional higher load periods.

David K - 3-7-2022 at 07:34 PM

The Point why go to Sonora in summer time? When all people live there go to Ensenada?

To get away from all the people! (that would be my answer)

JDCanuck - 5-15-2022 at 07:59 AM

Great to see gasoline prices holding down low on this trip. Still less than 22 pesos per liter, while back home in Canada it went from 1.19 CAD to over 2.20 per liter in past 6 months. Governments are wringing their hands in glee over the extra climate and excise tax revenues and wondering where they can spend it to buy more votes. Inflation they say is all because of Putin and war in Ukraine.

SFandH - 5-15-2022 at 11:08 AM

Inflation is happening worldwide, not just in the US.

Mexico:

"Mexico annual inflation at 21-year high, more rate hikes seen

Consumer price inflation rose 7.45% in the year through March, way more than the central bank's target of 3%, with a one-percentage-point tolerance range above and below that, the government's INEGI statistics agency said on Thursday."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/mexico-annual-inflati...

I just got back from 6 months in BCS and I spent more money per month than I have in previous years, staying in the same place, and doing the same things.

JDCanuck - 5-15-2022 at 09:48 PM

Necessities in Baja still really cheap when i bought last week, gas 21.49/liter... drinking water still 12 pesos; no idea what it costs each month for equivalent power and household water compared to a year ago as we don't buy it. What I did see were big increases in tires (over 20 % in 6 months)and other imported goods. and I'm guessing the vast majority of that inflation is caused by imports.

bajatrailrider - 5-16-2022 at 01:18 PM

your all showing your age. Argue about presidents gets you no place. Get out the house enjoy outdoors your WL thinking changes nothing.

RFClark - 5-17-2022 at 07:00 PM

On the subject of “Inflation” in Baja!

We just returned from CaliMax. Pork chops 3 large chops that would have cost about $6 in California for 41 Pesos plus a 14 Peso discount for having a CaliMax card!

You do the math!

The Inflation isn’t in Baja!

bajatrailrider - 5-17-2022 at 07:39 PM

Many things in Baja Inflation has not hit. Electricidad 2 months 15 bucks water 7 a month trash pickup 1 dollar property tax under 20 bucks.

JZ - 5-17-2022 at 07:59 PM

Many things in Baja Inflation has not hit. Electricidad 2 months 15 bucks water 7 a month trash pickup 1 dollar property tax under 20 bucks.

I'm going to come down and move in with you!

bajatrailrider - 5-18-2022 at 09:23 AM

just bring the razor and dirt bikes your welcome.

SFandH - 5-18-2022 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
On the subject of “Inflation” in Baja!

We just returned from CaliMax. Pork chops 3 large chops that would have cost about $6 in California for 41 Pesos plus a 14 Peso discount for having a CaliMax card!

You do the math!

The Inflation isn’t in Baja!

Comparing Mexican prices to American prices and concluding there is no inflation in Mexico doesn't make any sense.

"Inflation is at 7.72%, a two-decade high in Mexico, eating into wallets for millions of poor people that Lopez Obrador vowed to make a priority."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/mexico-unveil-inflati...

RFClark - 5-18-2022 at 10:47 AM

SF&H,

I never said there was no inflation in Mexico! I point out that things from the US sell for much lower prices in Mexico than they do in the US, like gas, electricity, water and pork!

BTW, inflation in Mexico that is “eating into the wallets of the poor” is less than the almost 9% rate in the US and the guy there in the WH also promised to fix things too!

Talk is cheap!

SFandH - 5-18-2022 at 10:58 AM

SF&H,

I never said there was no inflation in Mexico!

Well, you said; "The Inflation isn’t in Baja!"

Maybe not in your shopping experience. One person.

HeyMulegeScott - 5-18-2022 at 11:43 AM

We had our teeth cleaned in Algodones the other week at Rubio Dental. Price went from $30 US to $50 US. The office manager said they get all their equipment and supplies from the US and prices have doubled this year.

bajatrailrider - 5-18-2022 at 12:58 PM

inflation is in Mexico making it tuff for poor people housing cheap. Not when you make 80 bucks a week and kids.

RFClark - 5-18-2022 at 01:12 PM

The inflation is worse in the US. The stuff from the US costs more in Mexico BUT even with import duties it’s still cheaper to buy in Mexico than it is to buy in the US! Just because people make more in the US doesn’t mean inflation of almost 9% doesn't matter!

Bajaboy - 5-18-2022 at 01:41 PM

The inflation is worse in the US. The stuff from the US costs more in Mexico BUT even with import duties it’s still cheaper to buy in Mexico than it is to buy in the US! Just because people make more in the US doesn’t mean inflation of almost 9% doesn't matter!

That makes no sense at all. Is it cheaper in Mexico or not?

RFClark - 5-18-2022 at 02:03 PM

BB,

Two examples.

“We had our teeth cleaned in Algodones the other week at Rubio Dental. Price went from $30 US to $50 US. The office manager said they get all their equipment and supplies from the US and prices have doubled this year.”

Even though the price almost doubled (because supplies from the US cost more!) it’s still way less than the $90 - $400 charged in the US for the same cleaning.

Then there is gasoline which is around $4/gallon in Baja and $4.58 - $6.30 just north of the border! In California gas has almost doubled in a few months. In Mexico it has increased 1 -2 Pesos/L in the same period.

Don Pisto - 5-18-2022 at 03:28 PM

no doubt its a burden on most mexicans, for the gringo its small potatoes with the exception of housing, buying or renting its absolutely skyrocketed with no end in sight. once again folks are flocking to baja...now I can only speak for the tijuana-ensenada corridor, next time down see all the high rises being built and look at the prices!

Bajaboy - 5-18-2022 at 04:26 PM

BB,

Two examples.

“We had our teeth cleaned in Algodones the other week at Rubio Dental. Price went from $30 US to $50 US. The office manager said they get all their equipment and supplies from the US and prices have doubled this year.”

Even though the price almost doubled (because supplies from the US cost more!) it’s still way less than the $90 - $400 charged in the US for the same cleaning.

Then there is gasoline which is around $4/gallon in Baja and $4.58 - $6.30 just north of the border! In California gas has almost doubled in a few months. In Mexico it has increased 1 -2 Pesos/L in the same period.

Gasoline production is nationalized in Mexico. Hence you can't make an apples to apples comparison as I've stated prior. The Government controls the price charged in Mexico.

The price to get teeth cleaned went up in both countries. It's always cost more to get your teeth cleaned nob. The better question is why? I thought the US healthcare system was far superior to Mexico's (sarcasm):light:

SFandH - 5-18-2022 at 04:42 PM

Inflation around the world:

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate

Come on guys, we've been in a low inflation, bull market for 12 years. It's coming to an end. The economy is cyclical, and now pretty much worldwide. No one person, one country, one political party is responsible. But Putin's invasion of Ukraine has had an effect.

Lee - 5-19-2022 at 12:27 PM

SF&H,
BTW, inflation in Mexico that is “eating into the wallets of the poor” is less than the almost 9% rate in the US and the guy there in the WH also promised to fix things too!

Talk is cheap!

Blame game. Played by many here. Whine, bit*h, whine some more, talk politics. These people are the malcontents of a vanishing society. Talk is cheap yeah. Keep talking.