BajaNomad

El Camino Real Jesuit Cross Marker - Bucket List - Check!

Paulina - 2-11-2022 at 03:26 PM

My birthday has come and gone and along with it came an opportunity to check an adventure off of my life experiences bucket list.

I wanted to do something to commemorate my 60th journey around the sun, something that I can say that I've done with only a handful of other people having had the same experience.

Follow along with the photos. The lighting wasn't the best, so forgive the poor quality of the photos. The location of the marker was published by historian Harry Crosby many years ago. In my post no locations, waypoints will be included and please don't ask.

Some points of the ECR are wide, clear of plant life, easy to follow. If you look closely you will see a switch back coming up in the distance.

Machito Moro and I have arrived at our destination.

The marker as seen in it's current location. I believe it may have been sitting on a different rock, one more to the north, when Harry Crosby took his photo in 1967.

The marker is supported by smaller rocks to the back and side.

The view of The Valley below, if you look closely you can see the very straight line that is the ECR

There are some markings/drawings on the rock supporting the cross as well as on other rocks close by.

Many thanks for my friends Guillermo and Betty for helping me to make this dream a reality.

Trying to keep ahead of the sunset, riding back down the El Camino Real

Thanks for reading along!

P>*)))>{

Paulina - 2-11-2022 at 03:36 PM

One of Crosby's photos. The monument is now on the boulder behind and to the right.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 11-2-2022 by Paulina]

David K - 2-11-2022 at 04:45 PM

Nice of you to share with the Nomads! I think your photo with the mules in the background is really good, too. Harry has one almost identical to it.

Our late great amigo, Neal Johns and esposa Marian hiked up the grade to the cross rock or "Jesuit Kilometer Marker" around 1997, 30 years after Harry Crosby photographed it.

I have both the Crosby photo and Neal John photo in my book. It is an excellent artifact and I also hope it remains along the King's Highway for future generations to enjoy.

Neal at marker.jpg - 30kB

Fatboy - 9-6-2022 at 09:11 PM

Wow! One of the main reasons I want to hike that section.

Funny I turn 59 in a a few days so I too will be 60 or close to it by the time I even get a chance to try it.

Thank you so much for posting this!

David K - 9-6-2022 at 09:15 PM

I would like to see it, too ... I turn 65 in 12 days! Too old? Never!

Fatboy - 9-6-2022 at 09:32 PM

65! Do it, David!

That marker is something.... there for hundreds (?) of years, made well known by a legend - Crosby - not real easy to get to and it is STILL THERE!

David K - 9-7-2022 at 08:00 AM

When Neal Johns shared his photo twenty years ago, he also suggested the location not be published, for those who didn't read it in Harry's books.
Apparently, it is far too heavy to take down the mountain switchback to the auto road (a good thing) or everyone who has been to it respects it as an historic artifact that maybe doesn't belong in a museum (or someone's living room)!
Both Harry's and Neal's photos are in my book...