BajaNomad

SD plate sting op

charliemanson - 3-1-2022 at 12:42 PM

Finally! Cops have set up a sting op in and out of La Paz for people with SD plates.
They had 2 sites today and yesterday with multiple cars with SD lates pulled over.
Just an FYI that finally they maybe getting serious about people trying to cheat their, and my, government.

They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.

Maybe a good time to do the right thing, quit cheating the system, and get “er“ done! Help out the system you spend a bunch of time in and use the roads!

Bob and Susan - 3-1-2022 at 01:42 PM

only cars made in mexico usa and canada
for now

TSThornton - 3-1-2022 at 03:26 PM

I could use some eduction on this. What is the cheat associated with SD plated cars? Thanks.

mtgoat666 - 3-1-2022 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TSThornton  
I could use some eduction on this. What is the cheat associated with SD plated cars? Thanks.

People "leave" california (or other states) to live in Baja, then register their USA cars in mexico to avoid california (or other state) registration fees, as SD is uber cheap reg fee, and avoid legally importing cars into mexico.

Mexico wonders why 9 out of 10 gringos retirees (temp and perm mexico residents) are living in mexico but driving around in SD plated cars (and residing in the country on tourist cards not intended for temp or perm residents).

TSThornton - 3-1-2022 at 04:44 PM

Thanks goat. I get that re. expat residents. If you're someone who owns a place and keeps a car down there, but for the time being only visits for less than 180 days per year and so is not a temp or perm resident and can't register for Mex plates, is there some sort of foreign car registration and fee that should be paid? I would not have a problem complying, but I'm interested in minimizing opportunities for the muni cops to pull me over and having to go through that dance.

John Harper - 3-1-2022 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

People "leave" california (or other states) to live in Baja, then register their USA cars in mexico to avoid california (or other state) registration fees, as SD is uber cheap reg fee, and avoid legally importing cars into mexico.

Mexico wonders why 9 out of 10 gringos retirees (temp and perm mexico residents) are living in mexico but driving around in SD plated cars (and residing in the country on tourist cards not intended for temp or perm residents).

They also save on not having to smog check every two years and CA registration fees have gone up in the last few years. At least this is a "loophole" that even the "little people" can utilize.

Unless the owner him/herself is overstaying their legal time in Mexico, I don't see how having a car with SD plates is any less a problem than one with CA plates. Perhaps that's really what they are looking for? People "freeloading" off Mexican residency rules. Older, white, illegal immigrants?

Isn't that the same as all the foreigners holding expired visas but still in the USA? Our biggest chronic illegal population?

John

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by John Harper]

Sandlefoot - 3-1-2022 at 04:54 PM

Charlie

[They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.]

Only a Mexican citizen can legalize one car per family.

And in all of Baja there is no requirement (or process) to have a TIP on a foreign plated vehicle regardless of immigration status. So why would anyone be willing to pay the high CA registration fees when the vehicle is in Baja all year? They do not receive any benefit from keeping registration in CA. What is wrong with exercising common sense and managing your money?

So I have the same question, how is this cheating anyone?

mtgoat666 - 3-1-2022 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sandlefoot  

countries create rules for importing goods, usually to protect the country's economy and consumers. i suppose mexico is injured by people illegally importing cars.

buy mexican!

JDCanuck - 3-1-2022 at 05:47 PM

Let me get this right. If I am a non-resident visitor, it is legal for me to purchase a Mexican plated vehicle and drive it alone in Baja, leaving it there for my use?
This would definitely be the very easiest for me to accomplish, but I have been told by others this is not legal.

I have also been told it is entirely legal to drive a Canadian vehicle down there, re-register it each year in Canada, buy insurance for Mexico and drive it alone. Is there some unknown problem with this?

charliemanson - 3-1-2022 at 05:55 PM

Charlie

[They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.]

And in all of Baja there is no requirement (or process) to have a TIP on a foreign plated vehicle regardless of immigration status. So why would anyone be willing to pay the high CA registration fees when the vehicle is in Baja all year? They do not receive any benefit from keeping registration in CA. What is wrong with exercising common sense and managing your money?

So not correct. We are a “ Mexican family“ and own at least 6 cars. We get them all relicensed every year and pay our fare, or more than, share.

Mexico has made it easy to register your vehicle that you use, or keep, here.

The cheating part is that an enormous amount of people come and don't want to pay for the services they receive. Many locals despise this and will actually target those who don't....namly gringos.

True, there are many Mexicans who also avoid this simple requirement due to economic circumstances, but if your a griogo, living here, at least do your part for helping the economy and doing the right thing....unless you live your life as a cheat.

Just saying

John Harper - 3-1-2022 at 05:58 PM

My roommate (has PR status) says she cannot own a Mexican registered car. I don't know if that is actually true or not. Manson says not true.

My suspicion about crackdowns is that the Mexicans aren't as dumb as some think, and they know SD plated cars signify "permanent" residency, so they also may want to know the "residency" status of the owner.

John

JDCanuck - 3-1-2022 at 06:21 PM

This is what Mexlaw has to say:

https://mexlaw.com/foreigners-registering-vehicle-mexico/
There is a lot of advice out there about foreigners buying a vehicle in Mexico, including stories about tourists purchasing and registering cars in their name or registering the vehicle in a Mexican Nationals name. Neither of these options is a secure choice and may put your vehicle at risk.

“Vehicles should only be registered by foreigners holding a residence visa”

You should obtain a Temporary or Permanent Visa before buying and registering a vehicle as you will be required to provide a CURP number at some point, which you receive from having a Resident Visa.

JZ - 3-1-2022 at 06:43 PM

Sounds like it hurts the poor more than anything.

Don Pisto - 3-1-2022 at 06:47 PM

well another reason we like to register our cars in SD other than lower fees and no smog is NO insurance requirement....now sure there's only a couple states that don't require insurance but SD isn't one of them...I can only assume the loophole there is you're NOT in SD. Obviously the whole deal might be a little shady but SD is making a bundle and thousands of transplants regardless of INM status are happy.....with the exception of Charlie I suppose.

jedge42 - 3-1-2022 at 07:16 PM

We would be more than happy to regularize our cars down here. Permanent residents (and visas) with two cars registered in SD (where we are also residents). We do not want to import them, not necessarily because of the cost, but because we would have to take them back to the border to do so. Also, as I understand it, there are requirements for importing cars that make it difficult to do so (too new or too old). Both of our vehicles are old-ish (2005 and 2012), which I thought fell into the "hole" where they could not be imported at all, but may have bad info. So far, it has not been clear to me that we can go just go in and pay (somewhere ... una delagación nearby?) to get plates or whatever.

anyone have experience doing so?

jake

BajaParrothead - 3-1-2022 at 07:32 PM

The difference between my CA registration fees on vehicle and my SD registration fees is less than $50. (CA $158 vs SD $134) The only reason I went with SD, was to keep a valid CA registration, I needed to provide proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance) for a vehicle that will never see US highways ever again.

Why should I pay CA DMV for a vehicle that will never be operated in CA? Obviously the correct thing to do would be to register in BCS where it is permanently housed and operated. However, I was told that it is too old to import (2007). No cheating intended here!

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by BajaParrothead]

gnukid - 3-1-2022 at 07:55 PM

Sad that false propagandists post here and the site allows them to continue.

There is no SD Plate Sting, absolutely. There is no problem with anyone passing through Baja with current legally plated cars.

By the way, the majority of cars do not have legal plates, no plates at all, no lights, no turn signals, nothing, those people are allowed to pass because everyone has the right to transit. Just be careful, be calm, be patient, if you are pulled over for any reason, stay calm, patient, everyone has the right to transit.

What is criminal is that there are a large group of people on this site that post false info to provoke fear, and confusion, which is intentional, they are part of a group of propagandists who post false info here, most appear to be associate to government employment, meaning FEDs, you are unlikely to find accurate info on this site due to the amount of fake news posted by these fake news agents, who apparently are being paid to sit at home and discourage people to travel to Baja and enjoy the freedom you will find in the dessert and beaches of Baja.

Sad this continues and is permitted on the site. Baja is absolutely free for everyone to transit, including any foreign plated vehicle, and even non -plated off road vehicles and motos.

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by gnukid]

gnukid - 3-1-2022 at 08:06 PM

The latest news is that cars with no plates at all, no lights, missing parts etc, missing windows, these are called "Chocolates", they will be stopped, and encouraged to become regularized, unclear what the outcome is beyond advisement. The impound lots are empty.

azucena - 3-1-2022 at 08:14 PM

I believe non Mexican residents can register a vehicle in Mexico with Anapromex. Only thing, is you cannot drive an Anapromex registered vehicle into an airport or the port in La Paz, due to Federal rules.
This from an amigo here, but may be worth looking into.

mtgoat666 - 3-1-2022 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Sad that false propagandists post here and the site allows them to continue.

Paul,
you are the top misinforming propagandist ever to post on nomad! Do you make yourself sad?

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by mtgoat666]

Sandlefoot - 3-1-2022 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
Charlie

So not correct. We are a “ Mexican family“ and own at least 6 cars. We get them all relicensed every year and pay our fare, or more than, share.

The cheating part is that an enormous amount of people come and don't want to pay for the services they receive. Many locals despise this and will actually target those who don't....namly gringos.

True, there are many Mexicans who also avoid this simple requirement due to economic circumstances, but if your a griogo, living here, at least do your part for helping the economy and doing the right thing....unless you live your life as a cheat.

I am sorry !!! I thought you were referring to the current effort to legalize chocolate cars!! I do own two Mexican plated cars, one made here and one imported by some one else. I register them every year but, no way am I able to do it for 2500 pesos a year!!! That is only part of the cost to legalize a chocolate car. According to the ones (Mexicans) that I know have legalized a chocolate car have tried to do a second one and have not been able.

Down here on the Baja there is absolutely no known reason to import, even if you can get an appointment at the border to do it!!! Some have gone through the process to avoid more trips north, but that is still their choice....no cheating that I can see!!!!

Where is it cheating?

Just saying

Bajazly - 3-1-2022 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
I believe non Mexican residents can register a vehicle in Mexico with Anapromex. Only thing, is you cannot drive an Anapromex registered vehicle into an airport or the port in La Paz, due to Federal rules.

Apparently you can't drive Anapromex rego on federal roads either. One exception is between Mexicali and San Felipe, other exceptions may exist but don't know where.

Cancamo - 3-1-2022 at 08:38 PM

More on this?
It is my understanding that other than Onappafa and Anapromex, there is no way to import and register a foreign vehicle outside the "window", (no less than 5 and no more than 10 years old???). Leaves me out.

charliemanson - 3-1-2022 at 08:57 PM

Simple answer. Stop by the municipally and get it done for 2,500 pesos. How hard is it?
Or spend your time online or whatever and find a way to scam your way out of it.
Its really not a big deal people! They allow all vehicles that actually have taillights to do it.
Easy and its called doing the right thing...remember Spike Lee“s movie.

Personally, I really happy to see this...but hey, I live here.

charliemanson - 3-1-2022 at 09:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
Charlie

I am sorry !!! I thought you were referring to the current effort to legalize chocolate cars!! I do own two Mexican plated cars, one made here and one imported by some one else. I register them every year but, no way am I able to do it for 2500 pesos a year!!! That is only part of the cost to legalize a chocolate car. According to the ones (Mexicans) that I know have legalized a chocolate car have tried to do a second one and have not been able.

Down here on the Baja there is absolutely no known reason to import, even if you can get an appointment at the border to do it!!! Some have gone through the process to avoid more trips north, but that is still their choice....no cheating that I can see!!!!

Where is it cheating?

Just saying

New laws dude. Made to allow freeloader.
Drive by a municipally and ask to get your car imported. And for sake of no misinformation, it is 2,500 to import and about 200 pesos a year.

Do the math and the right thing....o r just continue to cheat us and get your car, truck, atv or all confiscated. Your choice.

Sorry for posting what is happening and good luck to all.

gnukid - 3-1-2022 at 09:10 PM

There is so much misinformation posted here, the site is nothing more than intentional misinformation and has been for a long time.

There are endless options to register your car if desired, currently, 8 or more Amparo (legal options against formal importation) options like anapromex, 12 or more regularization options (new legal options to register any vehicle though requires many papers), traditional importation through Aduana, register traditionally in the home location of the vehicle, etc. Or if you live in a pueblo rural area you may not need to register the car since its not a requirement for transit in your local community.

Point is you probably should not drive a car that is unregistered, without lights, bumpers, windows etc into a major city.

Bigger point, there are many internet trolls on this site who post misinformation to cause confusion.

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by gnukid]

Oregon plates

Lengua - 3-1-2022 at 09:15 PM

were just going camping for a couple of weeks in March and returning to Oregon. Any problem with that ?

surabi - 3-2-2022 at 01:14 AM

Mexico wonders why 9 out of 10 gringos retirees (temp and perm mexico residents) are living in mexico but driving around in SD plated cars

Say what? Name your source for this statistic. There's no permanent residents driving around in foreign plated cars over here on the mainland. That was over a long time ago.

surabi - 3-2-2022 at 01:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
My roommate (has PR status) says she cannot own a Mexican registered car. I don't know if that is actually true or not. Manson says not true.

My suspicion about crackdowns is that the Mexicans aren't as dumb as some think, and they know SD plated cars signify "permanent" residency, so they also may want to know the "residency" status of the owner.

John

Your roommate is either lying or clueless. Owning and driving a Mexican plated car is exactly what all permanent residents have to do. All prs drive Mexican plated cars on the mainland.

And what do you mean, SD plates signify permanent residency? That may be the case in Baja, but it certainly isn't anywhere else in Mexico. The SD plates were used a lot by temporary, not permanent residents.

That's because a temp resident can drive a foreign plated car in Mexico, but a lot couldn't keep their US registration up to date without bringing the car in to wherever it was registered every year. The SD plates eliminated that problem and there is nothing illegal about it.

As far as your question about Canadian registration, yes, that's what I did for years as a temporary resident. I renewed the registration, but not the Canadian insurance by putting it under their rate class used for non-driven vehicles. I wasn't cheating- I talked to ICBC about it, explaining that the vehicle was in Mexico, where the Canadian insurance was invalid. It was all above board.

Now, doing that as someone on a tourist visa is different. I don't know how it works in Baja, but anywhere else in Mexico, a tourist cannot leave their vehicle in Mexico. When you leave the country, the vehicle has to leave as well, as the TIP is only good for the length of the tourist card, regardless of whether the registration is current.

John Harper - 3-2-2022 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Your roommate is either lying or clueless.

And what do you mean, SD plates signify permanent residency?

No need for an ad hominem attack on my roommate, she just told me what she knew, and I stated it could be wrong.

I just posed a possible reason for one particular state's cars were being targeted. And, I would imagine there is an expatriate population living outside the proper laws of residency, intentionally or not. SD plated cars don't need to return to the US for registration, so being left permanently in Mexico seems a likely characteristic. As this thread shows, there is lots of information, and misinformation out there.

John

JDCanuck - 3-2-2022 at 06:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  

I got that exact same info from a friend in La Paz. I was told those plates indicated it was "in process of being imported". I have purchased a Mexican plated vehicle registered to my Mexican son-in-law for my family's use, but am still unsure if we can legally drive it without him in the vehicle. Some say "yes" others say "no"

4x4abc - 3-2-2022 at 07:42 AM

if you are a foreign national residing in Mexico (no matter what residency status), you can drive a car with Mexican plates (either your own or somebody else's) and have a Mexican driver’s license

4x4abc - 3-2-2022 at 07:51 AM

a Mexican citizen can not drive a foreign plated car without its owner present in the car.

JDCanuck - 3-2-2022 at 08:22 AM

Yes Harald, you and one other had previously told me this was the case. I and my family will have Canadian driver's licenses and will be visitors only. We are trying to confirm if this is fully legal and also if we are covered on my Son-in-laws liability insurance.
The other option is to do what we have done in the past and "borrow" a Canadian licensed vehicle.
As a guest in Mexico, we want to be fully compliant when we visit for long periods and avoid the extremely high rental costs.

Cancamo - 3-2-2022 at 09:22 AM

Simple answer. Stop by the municipally and get it done for 2,500 pesos. How hard is it?

Once again Charlie....Elaborate on this. Doesn't sound like the importation process that I'm familiar with, ie: start at the border, use a broker,, wait a few days, pay a considerable amount.... Everybody would gladly do the above if it was true. The local municipality is not going to import a vehicle, nor issue plates until it is imported.

If this isn't BS, what is the name of the process, what municipio have you done this at????

I live here too and have never heard of this process, otherwise there would be no need for Anapromex, Anapafa.

mtgoat666 - 3-2-2022 at 09:28 AM

What percentage of SD plates in Baja have handicap plates allowing expats to get front row parking at the beer store?

Don Pisto - 3-2-2022 at 10:50 AM

"stop by the municipally and get it done for 2500 pesos,how hard is it?" well its obvious Charlie doesn't know wtf he's talking about.....this is the process.
https://mexicodailypost.com/2021/10/27/these-are-the-require...

4x4abc - 3-2-2022 at 11:04 AM

"Simple answer. Stop by the municipally and get it done for 2,500 pesos. How hard is it?"

this is the proposed process to legalize Chocolate Cars (cars that have not been properly imported and currently have Anapromex etc plates)
Most of these cars are held by Mexicans - but some expats have chosen this route as well
fees quoted last week were $4,000 pesos.
However, the rules are changing every week (insurance yes/no, emissions etc)
only vehicles that had previously been registered with Anapromex or similar are eligible for this new process

https://www.elsudcaliforniano.com.mx/local/podrian-ser-legal...

4x4abc - 3-2-2022 at 11:19 AM

Importing cars into Mexico?

It is almost impossible!
Occasionally creative importers have made it possible in the past
this was by no means a legal process
but with the new government all loopholes were closed

That is the main reason why many expats still drive around with various US plates
they would happily pay even inflated legalizing fees for importing
but it can NOT be done

sure expats could buy a Mexican car
BUT - without permanent residency and the all important CURP number,
foreigners can NOT register a Mexican car
so, for foreigners who do not have a CURP number yet
only the route of a US plated car is open

main reason for South Dakota plates is that no physical inspections on a regular basis (like a smog check in California) is required
other states (Oregon, Arizona etc) offer the same benefit

another reason why you see mostly South Dakota plates is that a clever business man in Cabo San Lucas promoted this route for yeas (including doing the paperwork for you)

saving registration fees isn't really a motivation for "rich" expats

BajaParrothead - 3-2-2022 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
"stop by the municipally and get it done for 2500 pesos,how hard is it?" well its obvious Charlie doesn't know wtf he's talking about.....this is the process.
https://mexicodailypost.com/2021/10/27/these-are-the-require...

And it gets even more convoluted. I found this on the Census website:

"Shipper's Export Declaration (SED). The Department of Commerce paper form used under the
Foreign Trade Statistics Regulations to collect information from an entity exporting from the
United States. This form was used for compiling the official U.S. export statistics for the United
States and for export control purposes. The SED became obsolete on October 1, 2008, with the
implementation of the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR) and has been superseded by the EEI
filed in the AES or through the AESDirect."

Everything I found in the AES indicates that this process must be completed by a licensed exporter.

karenintx - 3-2-2022 at 11:59 AM

I open the below Mexican newspaper articles in the Chrome browser which translates the articles for me, hopefully it will do the same for you.

Agencies to contact for BCS...

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/inicia-regularizacion-de-autos-ch...

AMLO announced streamlining of the procedure of vehicles....

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/inicia-regularizacion-de-autos-ch...

Additional Info...

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/se-regularizaron-50-vehiculos-med...

4x4abc - 3-2-2022 at 01:27 PM

just sayin'

knowing enough 800.jpg - 81kB

caj13 - 3-2-2022 at 02:07 PM

so I have homes in 2 states, and numerous vehicles that could be in either state, Baja for that matter, at any specific time. some of my vehicles are registered in SD because I can do the renewal by mail from anywhere, no inspections etc required. so how is that being treated?

There are legitimate reasons for SD plates, but hiding Mexican residency and trying to avoid taxes is not one of them!

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by caj13]

JDCanuck - 3-2-2022 at 03:28 PM

Permanent Residency has become more difficult recently as well, so while we had hoped to do that to make living there half time somewhat more straightforward, it now looks unlikely we will be able to qualify. Long term half year at a time vistors' permits seems to be what we are looking forward to from now on.
Of course we could do what has been suggested and just keep transferring money back and forth between accounts, but I am really getting the opinion Mexico just does not want foreigners residing there. Perhaps this explains all the cumbersome rules they have created to discourage it.

Don Pisto - 3-2-2022 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Permanent Residency has become more difficult recently as well, so while we had hoped to do that to make living there half time somewhat more straightforward, it now looks unlikely we will be able to qualify. Long term half year at a time vistors' permits seems to be what we are looking forward to from now on.
Of course we could do what has been suggested and just keep transferring money back and forth between accounts, but I am really getting the opinion Mexico just does not want foreigners residing there. Perhaps this explains all the cumbersome rules they have created to discourage it.

JD I have to disagree here, first of all I agree the financial requirements are ridiculous BUT I think you're wrong about INM discouraging foreigners living here, INM right now is offering the same amnesty program they've offered in the past....can all be done in mexico no american consulate bs, NO financial requirements and you have temp res for 4 years and can be completed in a week. sounds to me like they're encouraging expats to become residents. BUT you do have to have had at least two FMM's in the past and currently have either no or expired FMM. its a great deal!:coolup:

Don Pisto - 3-2-2022 at 04:10 PM

AND this will really get the birds quackin'...I don't see why mexico gives two chits if you live here on an FMM, really whats the purpose of INM? to know who's in their country and for how long? they get all that and a gripload of dough every 6 months and a stimulated economy, sounds like win-win to me! ( I am a legal resident just thinking out loud)

4x4abc - 3-2-2022 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

ask a good immigration specialist in La Paz (there are several) as there are other ways than income to qualify

surabi - 3-2-2022 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
AND this will really get the birds quackin'...I don't see why mexico gives two chits if you live here on an FMM, really whats the purpose of INM? to know who's in their country and for how long? they get all that and a gripload of dough every 6 months and a stimulated economy, sounds like win-win to me! ( I am a legal resident just thinking out loud)

What a weird thing to say. What's the purpose of INM??? Are you under the impression that Mexico is the only country with an immigration department? Are you under the impression that you can simply waltz into other countries on a tourist visa and then live there permanently? Do you think the only foreigners in Mexico are retired American and Canadian expats? And why do so many Americans think they are some sort of gift to Mexico who should be allowed to do whatever they want, come and go at will, just because they spend some money here?

charliemanson - 3-2-2022 at 07:19 PM

Hey, what ever can save you 30 bucks, right. Do what ya“ll want with your plates. I just think its cool that “we“ are finally cracking down on cheats.

As a parting thought...think of a Mexican in the USA without proper documentation.
Nevermind as that is way past this boards thought process.

Cancamo - 3-2-2022 at 07:23 PM

Thanx for clearing that up for Charlie, Herald; chocolate cars have an amnesty program to register legally. That complicates things a bit on a national basis, (what kind of plates are granted, state, national?).

Also a game changer, I wonder what the Aduana folks have to say about this. Is AMLO involved in this bright idea?

S. Dakota registration is unique as no in-state address is required now a days. It is a cash cow for the state. Foreign travelers, (mostly Europeans, Australians), have been using this loophole with vehicles used in the U.S. long before Mr. Jankovics washed up in San Lucas "selling" his services.

4x4abc - 3-2-2022 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  

Thanx for clearing that up for Charlie, Herald; chocolate cars have an amnesty program to register legally. That complicates things a bit on a national basis, (what kind of plates are granted, state, national?).

Also a game changer, I wonder what the Aduana folks have to say about this. Is AMLO involved in this bright idea?

S. Dakota registration is unique as no in-state address is required now a days. It is a cash cow for the state. Foreign travelers, (mostly Europeans, Australians), have been using this loophole with vehicles used in the U.S. long before Mr. Jankovics washed up in San Lucas "selling" his services.

yes, this is an AMLO idea.

Aduana (or registered importers like Columbia etc) are handling the paperwork for the amnesty program
The dedicated Aduana site in Chametla has been set aside a few years ago for this purpose

so far less than 100 of the eligible vehicles have been processed (of an estimated 100,000 in BCS)
the bottle neck is that the cars have to pass a smog check and none of the clunkers would pass
mandatory proof of insurance is another no-go
I guess, they will lower the standards a bit
otherwise the program is dead in the water

pacificobob - 3-3-2022 at 06:40 AM

I found the PR process remarkably easy with the help of an immigration service.
I totally understand why Mexico is disinclined to grant residency to people who have little or no assets.

Cancamo - 3-3-2022 at 08:26 AM

Permanent Residency process is by far way easier than it was just a few years ago, (multiple years with FM3, then FM2, illegible stamps in entry, exit book, annual photos, appointments, document submission, etc.). A much cumbersome and a lot longer process than the current system. It's flat easy anymore, and encouraged.

JDCanuck - 3-3-2022 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I found the PR process remarkably easy with the help of an immigration service.
I totally understand why Mexico is disinclined to grant residency to people who have little or no assets.

Unfortunately while we have significant assets, much of it already invested in Mexico, the additional continuous income has risen significantly very recently. It's the constant income requirements in addition to assets we would no longer meet, altho we easily met the income required when we decided to build. Anyone with higher pension or Government cheque incomes (we do not have significant pensions or government cheques) will not be affected.
The solution to this seems to be withdrawing invested monies regularly, then returning it to the investment accounts on a regular basis to establish a stable cash inflow via regular deposits.
This is the route other Canadians have taken to meet the requirements and which we have been advised to follow.

gnukid - 3-3-2022 at 11:41 AM

This discussion pertains to BCS only.

People have the right to have as many global residences, and as many cars, etc as they want and to register their cars associated to their residences.

You can have a CA plated car in Paris or La Paz and receive the registration paperwork by mail to the address there. I do.

My USA cars are registered with DMV plates to my Baja address and have been for more than 20 years. Those vehicles receive a discount on hi way fees and can be exempt from insurance if I file the exemption, I don't and continue to pay liability for both countries I visit, even if I don't plan to visit to make the DMV system happy. You can file the ins exemption every year and show mex ins and state the car will not return to its home or travel on any roads in the home country.

I personally school the DMV on the DMV Book pages that state this is legal. It is different for border zones, Laredo, TJ, and Ensenenada.

Most countries have reciprocal rights associated to transit, meaning, people who travel between countries, for work, tourism etc have reciprocal privileges, if their car is conforming to the origin country laws it is legal in the foreign country.

There is no SD plate sting, there are periodic checks for legal drivers license, and registration and general conforming to safety, lights, etc.,

The purpose is to stop cars and check to see that the driver of a foreign plated vehicle is a legal foreign driver.

Mexicans may not drive foreign plated vehicles except under certain exceptions, such as a blood or marriage relation to the legal foreign legal owner.

The "Reten" or filter stop is to check that "Chocolates" or foreign plated cars that are "not legally registered" are encouraged to become legal under the new regularization options. The stop is an local transit administrative stop, it is not a criminal process, all that can happen is a ticket, a request to become regularized. The car may not be impounded, though the local transit cop may make up threats. The impound lots are currently nearly empty, no impounding of vehicles is happening, but things change daily.

Foreigners who have legal SD plated cars and who have a drivers license from the country of USA are legal. It would be better if the person had a SD drivers license, but that is not the authority of a Mexican transit police.

Mexicans who drive SD plated cars or any foreign plated car who do not also have a drivers license from that foreign country are not legal, though this is quite common, and accounts for at least 50,000 vehicles in the region.

The agencies who have begun to do regularization, come and go, things change daily. It is not profitable and is a pain so its unclear what will happen.

The greatest overall affect is that foreign plated vehicles now have a lower value since there is no Aduana Markup anymore, and the Aduana agents lost their jobs.

Be aware of misinformation here, and that things change daily.

If you search the internet on the topic "BCS regularización de vehículos" and set your search filter to the last week, you will find more current info.

You are unlikely to get accurate info here, since people misunderstand the nuance, post misinformation, and the information changes often.

Here is some news about changes to facilitate the process coming this Monday, March 7th.

https://www.palabrabcs.com/municipios/la-paz/a-partir-del-7-...

[Edited on 3-3-2022 by gnukid]

bajatrailrider - 3-4-2022 at 11:00 AM

Very true with number one offender of cheat fake news Charlie.:?:

Hook - 3-4-2022 at 07:35 PM

As far as what goes on over here, Charlie is way off base. The new 2500 pesos importation of "illegal" vehicles (basically, non-registered vehicles) is targeted at MEXICANS, not Americans or Canadians. They are the majority of persons driving non-registered, non-imported vehicles. Yes, even SD plates, unless driven by a foreigner with a PR, IS COMPLETELY LEGAL. I dont believe I know anyone over here that doesn't take their LEGAL SD PLATED VEHICLE, back and forth to their NOB residence. Some probably leave them down here......but I bet it's a minority of SD plate owners.

Then, Charlie seems to imply that because Mexicans don't legally register their vehicles because they can't afford to, it's all fine and dandy? A law is a law. We foreigners are expected to comply. So should the natives. If you can't afford registration, then you certainly cant afford other important things........like maybe INSURANCE? Should poor Mexicans be allowed to skate on insurance, Charlie, simply because they can't afford it?

Hook - 3-4-2022 at 07:38 PM

And I thought liberals were above bias and lived life based on verifiable statistics and science. I guess not.

Alan - 3-5-2022 at 08:44 AM

I just returned from La Paz and I didn't see or hear anything about a sting on SD plated vehicles. I will only speak for myself but I hardly consider myself a scofflaw. I merely took the only option that was left available to me.

I kept my vehicle registered in my home state until it was no longer an option. When I first left a car in La Paz I went to the CA DMV and explained the vehicle was in Mexico and that it was exempt from the Smog Inspection. They told me that cars in Mexico were not exempt from the smog exemption. Expecting this I had come armed with the Vehicle Codes where it states that only cars in Tijuana, Ensenada and Tecate were not exempt whereupon they issued me my tags. Because I was claiming an exemption, I am required to reapply in person annually. In my area that is still a 2 hour wait even with an appointment. The next year when I went back, I was again told "cars in Mexico are not exempt". Once again I produced the Vehicle Code excerpt to show my car was indeed exempt. This time they said they weren't sure but that they would issue my tags and then let Sacramento sort it out. The 3rd year I went back and once again waited nearly 2 hours to be told my car was not exempt. I showed him the Vehicle Code provision whereupon he told me "I don't care what that says, I'm not issuing you any tags"!

At that point I walked out and placed a call to South Dakota. They were so nice and pleasant to talk to I almost look forward to dealing with them though that is rarely necessary as they send me my renewals like clockwork every year. At least SD demonstrates some common sense. They are happy to accept my $75 annually for a one-time cost of about fifty cents worth of metal and then a ten-cent sticker each year all the while knowing I will never be driving on and wearing out their roads or polluting their air with my emissions. This is why there are more SD licensed vehicles in Baja that there are in SD. Until California gets smart and provides the same option SD gets my money.

What I have noticed in La Paz is that I don't get hassled by the local cops with SD plates. I think they realize I'm not a first time visitor and will insist on a ticket that can be paid at the Transito Office and not be bullied into mordida

[Edited on 3-5-2022 by Alan]

gnukid - 3-5-2022 at 10:15 AM

Harold, the DMV book clearly states the law, as well as exceptions, obviously, transit laws can vary state to state, and in the USA, you must update your license to new STATE permanent residence within a period of time, for example its 10 days in CA, if you move there permanently and do not maintain the prior address where you are registered, though, this doesn't apply to foreign residence, vacation homes etc.

You can have as many residences as you are able to manage, for example declare 10 homes with 10% residency in each, and full time residence in one USA home and full time in one foreign home, and you can have cars, boats, motorcycles, quads, etc at each home, or move them in-between.

Foreigners, can visit USA or Mexico and ship, or drive their foreign vehicle, with its legal foreign plates. Some countries have permanent plates, some have a permanent ID number, those legal vehicles remain legal in the foreign country for the period of the legal Visa, which can be permanent, like in Mexico, or USA, and maintain all rights and privileges.

Foreign vehicles are not required to alter, adopt, or change their legal vehicle status for each foreign country they visit.

The simple explanation, is that in BCS, there is an effort to encourage all the unregistered cars to become registered with a declared owner and address, at a much reduced price and ease of process, to allow all people, including those with limited finances, their legal right to liberty and transit, without harassment by local fiefdoms, because previously, the process was economically discriminatory.

This Monday, the rates will again be reduced and more simplified options, appointments, Aduana workers are being educated in the new process, which is unclear and changes often, to be given the opportunity to work in this Regularization de Vehiculo process.

It's odd that some here on BN cheer on misinformation, as though its funny to harass and stress Baja Nomads with wrong information that causes stress.

A USA citizen has the right to get a license from South Dakota and plates as well, they may have a mailing address there as well as many other locations.

A USA resident may live in a foreign country, or a variety of foreign countries, and choose to identify any state as their permanent residence by following the appropriate steps to declare and demonstrate residency.

DMV workers, like Senior Baja Nomads, often do not read the documentation, they may be stubborn, or likely ignorant, and even intentionally mislead people because they derive pleasure from causing misunderstandings, inducing fear and inconveniencing others, apparently as a symptom of insecure, narcissistic, abusive behavior.

[Edited on 3-6-2022 by gnukid]

4x4abc - 3-5-2022 at 01:13 PM

DMV workers, like Senior Baja Nomads, often do not read the documentation, they may be stubborn, or likely ignorant, and even intentionally mislead people because they derive pleasure from causing misunderstandings, inducing fear and inconveniencing others, apparently as a symptom of insecure, narcissistic, abusive behavior.

thank you for your very clear presentation
you are absolutely correct with every word

my point was what you describe in your last sentence

Looks like some of those "chocolates" are heading back north!

AKgringo - 3-5-2022 at 03:30 PM

Russians and Ukranians coming accross our southern border;

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Russians+And+Ukrainians+A...

gnukid - 3-5-2022 at 03:57 PM

To add clarification for anyone who is interested in the topic, in the DMV system in USA, there are actually 3 addresses possible, by default they are all the same, garage, residence and mailing address. Garage address affects smog requirements and hiway and road taxes, residence is usually where mail comes, and is considered the legal address, and mailing is an alternate mailing address. For Baja residents, you can use your Baja address for any or all three, or vice versa. When you use the Baja address, (except for Laredo, Ensenada, and Tijuana), there is no Smog check since it would be burdensome or impossible to return and there is accommodation for differences in fuel, and you can receive the registration and stickers to your Baja house, if mail is delivered, which is unreliable. I use my Baja address for the garage address, and use my USA residence as residence and a mailing address to send the stickers to an intermediary address that will send them with Fedex or via friend for reliability. I have reliably received all commuications from DMV via USA snail mail to La Paz addresses.

monoloco - 3-6-2022 at 08:57 PM

Charlie

My wife went in to try and regularize her car but couldn't do it because it was made in Japan.

gnukid - 3-7-2022 at 02:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Charlie

My wife went in to try and regularize her car but couldn't do it because it was made in Japan.

They say car must be built in USA, Canada or Mexico but it seems each week they open it up to fewer requirements. Let's see if anyone has completed it this week with a car from Japan or Korea ...

4x4abc - 3-7-2022 at 08:47 AM

the most popular cars in Baja are Japanese

PaulW - 3-7-2022 at 08:57 AM

Many brands are legally imported to the US. I am sure Mexico means US spec cars are just fine - not necessarily US built.

AKgringo - 3-7-2022 at 08:58 AM

Toyota has assembly plants all over the world. So the ones assembled in Canada, the US, and Mexico would be allowed, but the ones assembled in South America, Europe or Asia would not?

bajatrailrider - 3-7-2022 at 09:53 AM

Not so AK my Mex Nissan diesel Nor my ordered 2022 Hilux diesel can have usa plates.

surabi - 3-7-2022 at 11:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Toyota has assembly plants all over the world. So the ones assembled in Canada, the US, and Mexico would be allowed, but the ones assembled in South America, Europe or Asia would not?

Exactly. If the VIN number starts with a letter, it can't be imported by an individual. Only dealerships can import
those vehicles. NAFTA vehicles have VINs that start with a number.
Don't hold out any hope that will change.

I had a Honda CRV that was from Canada, but manufactured in Japan. VIN number started with a J. I couldn't import it.
But there are the exact same Honda CRVs that are assembled in the US, the VIN starts with a number, and those can be imported.

monoloco - 3-8-2022 at 05:27 AM

Charlie

They say car must be built in USA, Canada or Mexico but it seems each week they open it up to fewer requirements. Let's see if anyone has completed it this week with a car from Japan or Korea ...

My wife just went a few days ago.

monoloco - 3-8-2022 at 05:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Not so AK my Mex Nissan diesel Nor my ordered 2022 Hilux diesel can have usa plates.
Just curious, what's the price on a Hilux diesel these days?

RnR - 3-8-2022 at 07:40 AM

Just curious, what's the price on a Hilux diesel these days?

$28,000 USD - Manual, etc
$34,000 USD - Automatic, etc

MSRP - Toyota HiLux

bajatrailrider - 3-8-2022 at 11:47 AM

It is 4 month wait after order one. Im a die hard manual trans guy when you order . The 6sp manual the cheaper price is not only because manual trans. Only in Mexico diesel Hilux man trans is a work truck only . Only white or silver color small wheels tires no fancy stuff .You do get AC but the deal breaker for me no more power windows. You cant get those anymore as of two years ago w manual trans . all other countries sell Hilux stick or auto you can have all anything you want. No deposit on truck to order a month before deliver deposit. They will not give test drive of any kind so I may cancel . New truck order manual trans put power windows in front doors.

bajatrailrider - 3-8-2022 at 11:53 AM

As far as Charlie mc cheat advice simple to convert usa car to Mexico info . Total sugar coat BS as I answered him long time ago. Old cars and trucks cannot be reg in Mexico.:D He wrote then your nuts to have them :?:So now he is the how many trucks you can have police . Love nomads thinking