BajaNomad

Floating Junk

MrBillM - 4-5-2005 at 09:55 AM

Arrived back in Percebu last Saturday and saw what appeared to be a pile of junk wood discarded on the mud flats of the Lagoon.
It was actually a Boat (or barge) built from scrap.
I was told by a neighbor that this guy is going to sail this "recycled " vessel around the tip of Baja and has some sort of contract with National Geographic. He has a website: www.floatingneutrinos.com, but I have yet to be able to pull it up. Searching that name, there are numerous references to having sailed the Atlantic, but I haven't checked them out.

Well, that didn't work.

MrBillM - 4-5-2005 at 09:59 AM

I tried for the first time to upload a pic of the vessel, but received an error message that the attachment was too large. What's the maximum size of a photo attachment and what formats are useable i.e. jpg, bmp, tif, gif, etc ??

Mexitron - 4-5-2005 at 11:32 AM

50 KB file size max for photos....jpg seems to work.

My attempt at posting

Hook - 4-5-2005 at 12:05 PM

I'd say your description is pretty accurate.

[Edited on 4-5-2005 by Hook]

Good Pic

MrBillM - 4-5-2005 at 04:06 PM

I haven't yet seen it float. Your pic says it all. I'm just giving this another try to see how it works with a gif file.

HotSchott - 4-5-2005 at 04:55 PM

Can't wait to see that after a nasty south wind hits it...

Oso - 4-5-2005 at 06:02 PM

And the purpose is to prove that chit floats?. That superstructure won't survive one good chubasco.

The thing looks like it might sink....

Hook - 4-5-2005 at 07:54 PM

...in the flat conditions of the photo!

National Gegraphic sponshorship, huh. Maybe they see a new artificial reef in the near future for some U/W photography.......:lol:

burro bob - 4-6-2005 at 08:58 AM

I got to see this thing just before it set off from San Felipe. It also has (not shown in the pictures) a fully functional catamaran attached to the side as an outrigger and a zodiac with a 5 horse motor for a life boat.
Lots of gringo were making a big deal about it. It does sound like it will be an exciting trip and he has lots of experience with this type of craft. Most of the Mexicans didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Compared to some of the pangas they go out in it is a luxurious houseboat.
Most of his other rafts have been built from scrap material that they found. Here in San Felipe big chunks of wood and chunks of styrofoam are in big demand. So while this raft is also built from recycled material he had to buy most of it.
burro bob

I must say.....

Hook - 4-6-2005 at 09:29 AM

.....that his Manhattan Project loks much more seaworthy.

Better junk in the US of A I guess......

David K - 4-6-2005 at 06:13 PM

Because I hate to see any trash on Shell Island, I hope it gets at least 5 miles south of Percebu... Bahia Santa Maria!:tumble:

May King Neptune bless this dude!

viabaja - 4-8-2005 at 08:17 PM

I talked to the guy last weekend. He asked me if I had any 4 cycle oil for the 2 outboards. He did have a zodiak tied next to it. I asked him where he was going. I thought the thing was just for around the flats during high tide. He indicated he was heading south. I asked if he was aware of what the Sea of Cortez can do with a lot of wind. His reply was he'd find out! I try not to make pre-judgements about people I do not know, but I swear, this gentlemen was not quite with it. The boat is more sturdy than it looks and good luck to him! But with a Chubasco and set up seas, it will take all the plywood apart! Good thing he has the Zodiac!

Dave - our beloved Shell Beach was "trashed" from the Santa Semana & spring break crowds. Shame! Need some good wind for awhile & high tides to clean it up.

Bruce R Leech - 4-9-2005 at 07:00 AM

I would Like to see that thing .unfortunately I don't think it is going to make it this far south.:lol:

David K - 4-9-2005 at 09:10 AM

Shell Island (Beach), looking south from opposite Laguna Percebu (Rancho Percebu)...

Photo taken by BajaMur enroute to Alfonsina's in Doug Bowles plane.

lizard lips - 4-9-2005 at 09:35 AM

Did I see the Skipper and Gilligan on that scum bucket? Ill be looking for posts of where it went down! Any bets?

Good Luck ?

MrBillM - 4-9-2005 at 09:36 AM

While I don't want to wish the dude any ill, Bad Luck will make for a lot better reading than good.

Bruce R Leech - 4-9-2005 at 11:17 AM

I think he is going to have enough bad luck with out any one wishing. But I would like to read that he made it all the way.I would even bye the Book if he makes it bu not if he doesn't.:lol:

lizard lips - 4-9-2005 at 12:25 PM

Dont get me wrong, I certaintly dont want anything bad to happen but if he makes it-- it would be as miracle......

He is looking for a sponsor on his voyage....

youdecidetravelguide.com - 1-31-2006 at 11:31 AM

a new topic on Papa Neutrino can be found here

Pompano - 1-31-2006 at 12:11 PM

Now, that would be a REAL adventure as opposed to just hanging out in a well-stocked hermitage like all Baja characters have done at some time.

Foolish and dangerous perhaps, but REAL. Reminds me of some times we had long ago.

I will be looking for him while out trolling.....Bueno suerte, Gitano.

Skeet/Loreto - 1-31-2006 at 04:26 PM

I wish this character all the Best Luck in the world!!
Go for it ole Boy. Adventure to China, Just do it!!

Wish I was 50 years younger i would ask if I cold go along. Oh! to be Young and eager to see what is over the next Wave!!

God Bless and Fair Seas!!

Skeet/Loreto

Marinero - 1-31-2006 at 04:35 PM

wow.....:?: mostly speechless......:?:

looks like...

eetdrt88 - 1-31-2006 at 06:16 PM

a big floating outhouse;D;D hmmm,that gives me an idea:lol::lol:

Hook - 2-1-2006 at 10:12 AM

NOW, THIS IS AN ADVENTURE !!!!!!!!!

In order to sail to China, isn't he going to have to sail south to catch the equatorial current and then over to New Guinea and up into the China Sea?

Talk about sportin' wood.......this guy has grande cojones !

backninedan - 2-1-2006 at 10:54 AM

Grande cajone and not too bright is a very fine line.

Neutrinos on the Move ?

MrBillM - 2-1-2006 at 12:08 PM

Back on the 29th, the Neutrino started moving his "Boat ?" out on the Afternoon tide. We sat and watched for awhile thinking that this must FINALLY be the day, but he got only as far as the long sandbar and is still there. We watch each day for movement on the tide. Maybe Today ?

bajalera - 2-1-2006 at 01:14 PM

Galleons bound for Manila from Acapulco caught currents somewhat south of there, then headed pretty much straight west to the Philippines. Took around three months.

Is this guy really serious?

Bob and Susan - 2-1-2006 at 02:26 PM

you know mrbill if he had $15k he could get someont to tow him out to sea:lol:

does that thing....

neilm - 2-1-2006 at 04:04 PM

Have any freeboard at all? Looks like the decks awash! Maybe he figures it can't sink since it's already swamped?

Neil

Decks awash

baitcast - 2-2-2006 at 08:40 AM

for sure,jest read a few quotes from Poppa,s site ,no question about it he is the enlightened one!
This guy operates in another dimension,he hasn,t even cleared Bills sand bar and he looks like he,s going down !
I can just see him abreast of BOLA when a westerly grabs his ass,he will be very lucky if he just ends up in a big pile of plyboard on the big isla.
BAITCAST
Does make for some fun reading:lol:

What Freeboard ?

MrBillM - 2-2-2006 at 10:26 AM

Neutrino still here. My first move of the a.m. is to hobble out and see if he left on the evening tide.

There are a few inches of freeboard when the "Yacht" is fully loaded. It's hard to imagine how that thing would handle in any sort of sea, especially a good following sea. It would seem that the "Bow" would tend to plow under. He had told me that his departure date was 05 January, but after that he put the craft up on blocks to add to the wood bottom. He also had an old catamaran hull that he was considering adding on, but apparently discarded that idea. His car has been gone for a few days so perhaps he has staged that farther South. Quien Sabe ??

update

baitcast - 2-2-2006 at 02:30 PM

Keep us up to date on his progress if you will Bill,this is just so funny:lol::lol:
BAITCAST

Hook - 2-2-2006 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
I can just see him abreast of BOLA when a westerly grabs his burro,he will be very lucky if he just ends up in a big pile of plyboard on the big isla.
BAITCAST
Does make for some fun reading:lol:

Now, if THIS happens, we might actually have a guy marooned on La Guardia.

marooned

baitcast - 2-2-2006 at 07:33 PM

The way things look right now he may get marooned on Bills sand bar:lol: BAITCAST

viabaja - 2-2-2006 at 08:40 PM

I cannot believe it! Now I get to look at that thing stuck in front of my view. Bill, drastic measures are called for. There must be be some sort of Mexican law prohibiting this. That floating pile of plywood has been in Percebu before summer.

Take it down to Bahia Santa Maria and let them have the viewing pleasure for a year.

To China? In what I've looked at close up? May Neptune guide his way.

Still Here !

MrBillM - 2-3-2006 at 10:45 AM

I had thought the other day when his car disappeared for two days that he might have moved it down the coast in anticipation of departure, but he and two of his friends drove up yesterday afternoon and started unloading scrap wood from the trunk. I guess he needs further hull work.

lewm - 2-4-2006 at 08:07 AM

I hope he is going to operate that vessel by remote control. I was caught one night on Lake Mohave. I have a 24-ft pontoon boat. Pontoons are not the best in any sea. Hit a wave that came right though the boat. I wonder how that vessel would handle it. It looks like it would really dig in & would not take much of a sea.

Pompano - 2-4-2006 at 08:16 AM

Thor Hyerdahl would shake his head and say...NO WAY, JOSE!

This is no Kon-Tiki!...unless there is some papyrus reed stuck in here and there?

surfer jim - 2-4-2006 at 08:53 AM

Just hope this doesn't get stuck on the same beach as that ship in Ensenada....maybe he is a better captain.....:yes:

This could be the FIRST boat through the Escalera Nautica...stay tuned for details....maybe the government was right about the E.N. after all....:lol:

[Edited on 2-4-2006 by surfer jim]

bajalou - 2-4-2006 at 07:23 PM

Our hero was at the Swap Meet at El Dorado ranch this morning, playing a keyboard with a tip can in front. Also had some stuff about the prior trip. Didn't talk to him as I have in the past.

mcgyver - 2-4-2006 at 11:29 PM

Back in those far distant days when the USA had mental Hospitals and I was a serving USCG Officer, I arrested people like that for their own protection and the judges would hospitalize them and their various rigs would be destroyed as menaces to navigation, this was not an uncommon chore. As an example of today's political correctness there has been a self proclaimed homeless person calling himself the "Navigator" Living in a lawn chair on the I-8 freeway exit at Fortuna Rd. in Yuma for two years. The little old ladies feed him, the cops ignore him and he has a high powdered ACLU lawyer protecting him!
I do not believe Mexico has any law against self Immolation having seen the craft they let operate here.

People do not realize how many people drown in the Gulf. Due to lack of coverage in US news most are never reported to non -Spanish readers. And most are never recovered due to the remoteness. For instance two fishermen drowned in December after hitting Consag Rock off of San Felipe, there was no notice outside the Mexican community although the Captain of the ports of San Felipe and Puerto Penasco broadcast it on channel 9 for days, I know because remains of one of them were found on the beach in my campo, at least 4 or 5 more are still missing south of Puertecitos from last years drownings.

My prediction? This guy will sail off and disappear the same way with little or no notice and if his body hits the beach the coyotes and buzzards will obliterate him in hours.

viabaja - 2-5-2006 at 11:11 AM

Yes, that is probably what will happen. He'll head out on the high outgoing tide in his floating pile of neutrinos, and that's the last we'll hear or see of him. There are big sharks in the Sea of Cortez.

However, a more likely scenario is he and his dog will make it to Santa Maria, Puerticitos, or even Gonzaga (maybe) and hang out there for a year. The local residents will have their "viewing pleasures" for a awhile!

But in all seriousness, it's unfortunate that the first scenario will probably occur and his family will file a missing person's report. He'll disappear off the radar and life in Baja will go on with occasional discussions about that crazy gringo.

Pompano - 2-5-2006 at 11:16 AM

I sincerely hope he will not be joining the long list of casualties. You would shudder if you ever saw my Wall of the Dead...just people I have known over the years who have died in strange circumstances.

viabaja - 2-20-2006 at 04:22 PM

OK kids, Mr Neutrino is still in Laguna Percebu. He was suppose leave a few days ago, but was waiting for a 4th person. So, latest is all 4 are leaving on the 28th which is the highest tide of the month.
They were playing some tunes for coin at the entrance to Percebu campground on Saturday.
Stay tuned as the tides turn.

Bob and Susan - 2-20-2006 at 06:01 PM

keep us posted:lol:

Making Music for Money

MrBillM - 2-20-2006 at 06:16 PM

OK, now I know what they were doing sitting around at the entrance to The Campo this morning. I think the phrase "Motley Crew" aptly describes that bunch.

junk

tehag - 2-20-2006 at 07:12 PM

I wouldn't write them off so casually. He has already crossed the Atlantic in a thoroughly goofy looking craft.

Lots of nuts have ventured out way over their heads to the laughter of the home folks; Hyerdahl (sp?), Vespucci (sp?), Columbus, Magelan, Erikson, etc.

Bob and Susan - 2-21-2006 at 05:51 AM

how 'bout "Gilligan and the Skipper too" :tumble:

freeboard?

baitcast - 2-21-2006 at 07:47 AM

O' he,s in over his head alright,Hyerdahl and the boys
had the all important freeboard going for them,this guys feet
is already wet before he clears Bill,s sandbar:lol:
BAITCAST

jimgrms - 2-21-2006 at 08:48 AM

Bruce if the lunatic waits till after the voyage to write the book , it won,t get done , i wonder why the mex gov would allow a trip like that ,kind of like giving permission to commit suicide jim

Crossing The Atlantic

MrBillM - 2-21-2006 at 11:58 AM

As I pointed out once before, The Atlantic has been crossed single-handed in a ROWBOAT !

bajarich - 2-21-2006 at 02:15 PM

When I worked for the National Park Service in Grand Teton NP I learned that the government cannot stop you from killing yourself in the mountains. The climbing rangers could spot one of these "accidents" as soon as they walked in the Ranger Station and asked for a permit. All they could do was advise them of the hazard and then end up pulling their body out days later after a very expensive search. What's really sad was if the idiots are only badly hurt they end up sueing the Govt. in a tort claim. The taxpayers are the ones who pay.

Pompano - 2-21-2006 at 02:40 PM

Make voyages....attempt them. There is little else.

jimgrms - 2-21-2006 at 04:11 PM

After getting into the floating neutonas web site this guy is unbelieveable
i hope he makes it go to his web site what a hoot jim:wow::wow::wow:

Mike Humfreville - 2-21-2006 at 10:42 PM

Mary Ann and I met Papa Nutrino at my book signing in San Felipe about a month ago (a big thank you to Cat and Ed for their support!). I had already read about his Atlantic antics in The New Yorker magazine (Our Wayward Correspondents Corner) several months back. He is quite a character, but the consensus of this thread seems right on to me - he needs to do some studying and planning. Regardless, The New Yorker is waiting for the second and final installment (attempting to cross the Pacific) and Nutrino is having a great time. Good luck to him!!

Dave - 2-21-2006 at 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
After getting into the floating neutonas web site this guy is unbelieveable
i hope he makes it go to his web site what a hoot jim:wow::wow::wow:

Make that... Unflockingbelieveable. ;)

After reading his philosophy/goals he'd better hope he doesn't make it to China. Meeting his maker in middle Pacific would be way more desirable than a Chinese Communist welcome.

Ole, Jose ! Neutrino Aweigh !

MrBillM - 2-26-2006 at 06:03 PM

The (Semi) Floating Neutrino set off today on the High Tide. He Hoisted anchor and left under "power" just before Noon while the tide was still flooding, apparently wanting to get out of the Lagoon before the Ebb began to get the best effect heading South. His outboard quit 3 or more times while he was leaving, but finally appeared to be working well.

[Edited on 2-27-2006 by MrBillM]

any news...

eetdrt88 - 3-1-2006 at 02:36 PM

on how far the old neutrino has gone or if he's still alive:O:O

Wow, look at those beautiful "barrier islands"-------

Barry A. - 3-1-2006 at 02:39 PM

in MrBillM's photo:lol: "Hook" is going to love this!!!!

bajalou - 3-1-2006 at 03:55 PM

Heard today he made it to Puertocitos

Hook - 3-1-2006 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Heard today he made it to Puertocitos

Hasn't it been relatively calm since he left?

Anybody know what kind of outboard he's running?

bajalou - 3-1-2006 at 04:05 PM

Don't know about the outboard, but someone that road with him "and returned to San Felipe" said there was always about 2-3 in. of water on deck and all supples etc are piled on deck.

:?:

viabaja - 3-1-2006 at 08:50 PM

Why are we not surprised! Need pix from someone in Puerticitos.

Still in Puertecitos Miercoles p.m.

MrBillM - 3-2-2006 at 11:49 AM

I got an e-mail from Bob in Puertecitos last night stating that the Neutrino was still there.

The seas have been mostly calm since his departure from Percebu. Great weather except for a cloudy a.m. ayer.

He has been fortunate.....

Hook - 3-2-2006 at 03:36 PM

.....with the succession of relatively mild Pacific storms that we just had and should get through next Tuesday, I figured there wouldn't have been much wind.

All it will take is a high pressure building behind one of these fronts. It will eventually happen. Maybe Wednesday.

I hope he's not between Gonzaga and Remedios when it does.......:O

It's been a couple of weeks....

neilm - 3-16-2006 at 12:11 PM

Are they still at Puertocitos?

Neil

Cypress - 3-16-2006 at 12:40 PM

Looks like a houseboat. Spent a night or two on 'em. Not something I'd want to venture out in open water with. When a storm brews up the wreckage will give 'em something to hang on to.

He may be on to something.......

Pompano - 3-16-2006 at 02:53 PM

Thor Hyerdahl's vovage in the Kon Tike was not all that pleasant either.

Keep a watch on him!

Houseboat.

Cypress - 3-17-2006 at 11:55 AM

This time of year the weather could be easy on a 'em. A summer squall might mess 'em up, otherwise who knows?

jimgrms - 3-17-2006 at 01:00 PM

I think he was pretty much messed up before he started the trip,

Slooowly Heading South

MrBillM - 3-18-2006 at 05:07 PM

I just talked to a neighbor here in Percebu this afternoon who said he was awakened from his afternoon nap ayer to a car getting stuck in the soft sand outside. He walked out to find Three-Tooth Papa Neutrino Stuck ! He asked where he'd come from and he said his Yacht was still in Puertecitos.

I guess that answers the questions regarding his progress.

Decks awash

baitcast - 3-27-2006 at 09:24 AM

Up date on PaPa Neutrino
Got a pic of his rig in Puertecitos from Beercan,its still
floating:lol:..........Maybe a little lower in the water.
Decks awash while anchored:lol:......Not good for the
upcoming trip.
BAITCAST

Bob and Susan - 3-27-2006 at 09:29 AM

can you post the pic?

Packoderm - 3-27-2006 at 09:38 AM

I wish I was heading down there to Baja. I'd donate some styrofoam and plastic food barrels that I found on the Sacramento Delta. I doubt he would accept any new materials.

???

baitcast - 3-27-2006 at 09:44 AM

Wish I could,don,t know how,I,m lucky just to
get this thing to work:lol:
Maybe I can get Beercan to post it.
BAITCAST

I think I read on Kira's site

Hook - 3-27-2006 at 01:00 PM

That he is seriously considering abandoning the voyage after, what, about 30 miles?

Maybe the guy is smarter than we think.

still in puerticitos...

eetdrt88 - 5-7-2006 at 07:54 AM

heres a shot we took while passing through...

Sharksbaja - 5-7-2006 at 12:23 PM

Drydocked for repairs? It,s a long way to San Jose. De Cabo that is.

Damn, that guy has managed.......

Hook - 5-7-2006 at 09:30 PM

......waterfront digs with no real investment. Well, it's waterfront when the tide is favorable. Otherwise it's on the water.

It should really start to swelter there by the end of the month.

I take it he's not actually living on that?

Skeet/Loreto - 5-8-2006 at 03:37 AM

Good Luck Pappa Neutrino!!
For those who do not Know:

"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained"
To Adventure is to Live that life that others only wish and Dream!
May God go with you on your Journey!

Skeet/Loreto
Anon The Preacher

"In God I Trust"

vandenberg - 5-8-2006 at 07:30 AM

Quote:
To Adventure is to Live that life that others only wish and Dream!

But is it wise to push your luck beyond the limit.:lol::lol::lol:

With Due Respect to Skeet,

MrBillM - 5-8-2006 at 09:38 AM

There is a Big difference between seeking adventure and simply doing something stupid.

jerry - 5-8-2006 at 10:43 AM

dont die wondering