BajaNomad

Ensenada MX 1 road conditions?

Russ - 4-1-2022 at 06:36 AM

I'm heading south in a couple days and would like to know if there is still construction on MX 1 thru Ensenada? Hope to be going thru around 6:30am.

Bajaboy - 4-1-2022 at 06:43 AM

Yes, construction in town and south of town too. If you go in the morning, it's not too bad. Just did it yesterday.

John Harper - 4-1-2022 at 07:30 AM

My roommate says there was a lot of construction when she came through Ensenada returning from whale watching a few days ago.

John

David K - 4-1-2022 at 10:46 AM

TW was driving but I don't recall any 'active' construction on Monday?
They are widening the highway just south of Ensenada to Maneadero, to 6 lanes from 4, I would guess. No workers on Monday.
There was a lot of rougher-than-should-be pavement through Maneadero.

Most of Hwy. 1 from there to Hwy. 5 was very good. Only a few potholes near Cataviña, not much at all.

No military checks southbound on 1. Going north, a very long line at the checkpoint north of Santo Tomás was seen!
The Gonzaga checkpoint was abandoned and the one 31 miles north of San Felipe was not checking northbound.

One thing for sure, the difference between Hwy. 1 and Hwy. 5 is like night and day! With the 'dozens' of stop signs/signals and traffic on Hwy. 1 compared to 'almost none,' and no traffic on Hwy. 5, I would put the driving time difference close to 2 hours less from border to Laguna Chapala by using Hwy. 5.

Russ - 4-1-2022 at 11:30 AM

Thanks all:)