BajaNomad

How fun will it be to fly a Jetson One down canyons in Baja?

JZ - 5-8-2022 at 10:08 PM

Coming soon.

Bob and Susan - 5-9-2022 at 04:52 AM

wow...of course i would CRASH it first time up

larryC - 5-9-2022 at 07:05 AM

Asamblea canyon comes to mind first for me, Wow that would be fun.

mtgoat666 - 5-9-2022 at 07:18 AM

Looks like a fragile toy. Bump one blade against a rock or tree and the whole thing goes down, destroying all four blades (and motors and drive mechanicals) in the process. Bet it won’t be cheap to repair!

Salsa - 5-9-2022 at 11:38 AM

Threads like this makes it easy to see who is on the left or right !!!!!!!!!!!

Don

SFandH - 5-9-2022 at 02:22 PM

Ruh-roh, do they have an Astro model? :D

pacificobob - 5-9-2022 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Salsa  

Don

You must be exceptionally perceptive. I can't glean anything like that from this thread.

John Harper - 5-9-2022 at 03:34 PM

Don

Usually, the pilot is on the left and the co-pilot on the right. But this looks like a one seater, so that may confuse you.

John

[Edited on 5-9-2022 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 5-9-2022 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Don

Usually, the pilot is on the left and the co-pilot on the right. But this looks like a one seater, so that may confuse you.

John

[Edited on 5-9-2022 by John Harper]

You aint putting 2 people on this death trap! you cat even put a fat man on it! weight limit is 210 lbs.
Batteries last 15 minutes. Maybe batteries will last longer if flight direction is all downhill, eh?

Price is $95,000 USD. Expensive toy! awful expensive for unskilled thrill seeking. remember the segway scooter? everybody got excited about the skegway, and it crashed/burned due to price. any of you bought a VR headset or 3D TV? waste of money!

I would rather spend my money vacationing at Alta, drinking expensive wine and eating good food.

[Edited on 5-9-2022 by mtgoat666]

John Harper - 5-9-2022 at 04:50 PM

Goatster,

Who cares? Neither you nor I are the least bit interested in a new age gyrocopter. Let it go.

JZ likes to post up about new tech toys, a real positive thing he does for the forum. I may not buy the stuff, but it is interesting. Better than wasting our time on masks and covid posts.

Sometimes I wonder if you have a sense of humor.:rolleyes: I hope you do.

John

[Edited on 5-10-2022 by John Harper]

If you are looking for an expensive toy....

AKgringo - 5-9-2022 at 05:32 PM

For a hundred grand you can get started on a great Baja project (you better have lots more cash to finish it!) https://www.autoblog.com/2022/05/09/scg-008-baja-dakar-buggy...

what is your point??

thebajarunner - 5-9-2022 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Looks like a fragile toy. Bump one blade against a rock or tree and the whole thing goes down, destroying all four blades (and motors and drive mechanicals) in the process. Bet it won’t be cheap to repair!

The first day I took a private pilot lesson my instructor made the same comments, but they applied to any and all aircraft as far as I can tell
Bump a rock, eat dirt...

However, some years back my wife and I were given a private couple of hours with the Thunderbirds in their special hangar at Nellis (My secretary's husband was the frotn pilot two different tours for them)
I commented to one of the pilots that it was hard to imagine flying that close and never touching..... "Oh we bang against each other on a regular basis" he responded.
To this day I do not know if he was serious or just joshing, but he had a pretty straight face when he said it.

LancairDriver - 5-10-2022 at 07:29 AM

I doubt that machine will ever fly down thru many Baja canyons for all of the reasons previously given here. Fun to imagine it however. To actually experience that kind of rush and survive you need a high performance airplane and lots of experience flying it. Many cases of some who tried it and wound up splattered on some remote canyon wall.Any low level flying is fun, illegal, and is risky business.

[Edited on 5-10-2022 by LancairDriver]

mtgoat666 - 5-10-2022 at 07:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
I doubt that machine will ever fly down thru many Baja canyons for all of the reasons previously given here. Fun to imagine it however. To actually experience that kind of rush and survive you need a high performance airplane and lots of experience flying it. Many cases of some who tried it and wound up splattered on some remote canyon wall.Any low level flying is fun, illegal, and is risky business.

[Edited on 5-10-2022 by LancairDriver]

A few cheaper alternatives to seeing a canyon:
Hike;
Parasail;
Hire a helicopter.

David K - 5-10-2022 at 08:02 AM

Helicopter in Baja was $600/hour, a few years ago. Can't imagine the rates now!

advrider - 5-11-2022 at 08:40 AM

A real leave no trace option, unless you crash and burn. Very interesting..

RFClark - 5-12-2022 at 03:17 PM

My Instrument Flight Instructor was one of the Santa Monica mountains canyon flyers! He also looped a Cessna 150 with me in it! Do you need to ask how that turned out? The canyon flying!

LancairDriver - 5-12-2022 at 05:06 PM

Looped a Cessna 150? Lucky you didn’t tear the wings off of it. Actually Cessna did build 150’s certified for aerobatics so maybe that was one of those. It’s pretty hard to get a 150 up to enough speed to pull it over the top of a loop and stalling out inverted for even more excitement.

RFClark - 5-12-2022 at 05:21 PM

No, this was the original 150 not the late aerobatic model! If you have never taken your hood off and looked up at Santa Monica Bay you just haven't lived! The secret was don’t pull any Gs and don’t fly with people who do that!

LancairDriver - 5-12-2022 at 08:12 PM

Looking out during a loop for the first time is an exciting experience. But you need to pull some g’s to do it. Here is what the AOPA has to say about it.

To do a loop.
3.5 Gs
The sweet spot for the pull is typically about 3.5 Gs. Pull harder and you induce unwanted, energy-killing drag, as well as greater stress on the airframe. Pull too lightly and you may run out of airspeed before making it over the top.

Lee - 5-12-2022 at 08:37 PM

Had a flight instructor show me how to loop a Schweizer 2-33 in Napa Valley. Ship shuttered. Sure it wasn't rated for it.

Not sure the Jetson One could fly without all for rotors. Or auto-rotate if one went out. Watched a vid of one in Tuscany and it was very loud.

RFClark - 5-12-2022 at 10:13 PM

Yes, I saw that. It was a long time ago (60’s) when I was working on my private ticket doing recoveries from unusual attitudes! The taking the hood off and seeing the water up there part is still crystal clear though! 150s aren’t approved for any inverted flight as they have gravity fuel feeds and don’t like negative Gs! The instructor was ex-military and bought it a couple of years later canyon flying!