BajaNomad

Used Outboard into Mexico?

geraldalexander7 - 5-19-2022 at 10:39 AM

If I buy a used outboard in California will I have any trouble bringing it to La Paz in the back of my pick-up, not on a boat transom?
Anyone done this recently?
Thanks

SFandH - 5-19-2022 at 11:17 AM

About 10 years ago I crossed southbound on a Sunday at San Ysidro with an used outboard motor, the prop hanging out the back of my trunk. In secondary they (Mex Customs) told me I had to go through OTAY M-F, during business hours, to pay an import duty I guess. They wouldn't take care of it at San Ysidro.

They made me go back to the US. I decided to go to Tecate and try again. I stopped along the way, managed to get the motor entirely in my trunk, drove to the Tecate crossing and got the green light.

Bob and Susan - 5-19-2022 at 11:28 AM

when do trucks have trunks?

all engines have to cross at otay mesa
fee is 19% of cost

fees HAVE to be paid in pesos

cost above 2000usa you need an importer to assist

Don Jorge - 5-19-2022 at 11:51 AM

Yes it will be a problem if they red light you or see it etc at the crossing.

Otay or Mexicali to import it as stated above. They are very particular about outboards. Have bill of sale and do not expect a lowball invoice to work. They will use goggle to verify values. Otay is my choice to import anything. They work quickly and no bs.

You can either import it the way they say or they send you back to the USA, sometimes with the admonishment that they have the power to confiscate your truck if you had not or did not declare it originally.