BajaNomad

Paperwork for a kayak??!?!?

Colin - 4-5-2005 at 09:09 PM

I need to have paperwork to bring a kayak accross the border? What exactly does this entail? If I'm borrowing a sea kayak from a friend, and he doesn't have any receipt of proof of purchase for it, then how am I supposed to show ownership?

don't think you need paperwork

BajaVida - 4-5-2005 at 09:48 PM

we take several each year and have never been asked and they are on a roof top carrier

you probably need a boat permit if you plan on fishing from it

Colin - 4-5-2005 at 10:22 PM

I think that's what I'm talking about ... a boat permit to fish from a sit-on-top kayak? Jeez ...

you can get one from the Oficina de Pesca in San Diego

BajaVida - 4-6-2005 at 06:15 AM

the same place where you get your fishing license or you can get one from a Baja travel club.

I get mine through Vagabundos del Mar ($30 annual membership, I think) they will send you one by mail using a credit card.

Bob and Susan - 4-6-2005 at 06:28 AM

Bruce...can't you provide boat permits and licenses in Mulege?

Colin the Kayaks on top will get you through all the stops ....it marks you as a tourist;D;D

Bruce R Leech - 4-6-2005 at 06:35 AM

yes I can git fishing licenses and boat permits for you .

as far as other paperwork I really don't Know what the Law requires. but I do Know that most people bring them in with nothing .

bajaloco - 4-6-2005 at 08:51 AM

You need a boat permit for kayaks, you will also need a fishing license. Here are the regulations... The name of the Ministry of Fisheries (Pesca) has been changed to the Department of Environment, Natural Resources and Fisheries.

1. A Fishing License: is required for any individual, regardless of age, who wishes to fish in fresh or salt water in Mexico. This rule applies to all people fishing out of boats or fishing underwater while skin diving. A Fishing License is not needed when fishing from land.

2. A Boat Permit: is required in Mexican waters for all inflatable, car-top, trailerable, or non-trailerable boats, as well as any dinghy or additional boat aboard the vessel, regardless of size or constructon, that will be used for sport fishing and that are registered as Pleasure Boat permits. Will not be issued to any boat which has a commercial registration or which will be used in a commercial capacity as a sport fishing charter, commercial fishing, or sightseeing where passengers pay a fee. Do not apply: for Boat Permit if you are engaged in a commercial activity or if your boat is registered as a commercial vessel.

3. All passengers, regardless of age, aboard a boat in Mexican waters that is engaged in fishing must have a Mexican Fishing License in their possession, regardless if they are fishing or not.