BajaNomad

Another Off Road RUN

bajatrailrider - 7-24-2022 at 09:55 AM

Will be doing another short SXS run in Early AUG. No date set in mean time 2 wheel fun. Any want join give a shout.

David K - 7-24-2022 at 11:41 AM

Sounds like fun! I have never ridden in a SxS... I am sure I would enjoy its ability to go places I can't get my Tacoma to, and with more fun in the open air!

Some day I hope I can try it out... and bring Baja Angel along, too!

bajatrailrider - 7-24-2022 at 12:44 PM

Anytime David . We drive slow and easy they ride ultra plush. Today we Rode the old Mine trail road. Was A tractor there fixing bad spots for Baja 400

TMW - 7-24-2022 at 04:04 PM

I would think a Tacoma 4x4 could go anywhere a sxs can go. I'm willing to try it. I just spent $3200 for a new front suspension. The old one I did myself and it lasted 10 years.

mtgoat666 - 7-24-2022 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I would think a Tacoma 4x4 could go anywhere a sxs can go. I'm willing to try it. I just spent $3200 for a new front suspension. The old one I did myself and it lasted 10 years.

Your tacoma can probably drive most any unpaved road the sxs can do.

David K - 7-24-2022 at 05:22 PM

A SXS is a lot smaller/ narrower! Isn't it?

bajatrailrider - 7-24-2022 at 09:08 PM

Its not more narrow short wheel base. With engine in rear it gets traction . Without using 4x4 or front locker that means . When you have to use 4x4 in the Toy. The sxs w out 4x4 will go 90% where you can go. Then figure power to weight 1500 pounds w 127 to 350hp. Long travel suspension climbs like a spider plus. Does not beat you up over bumps and holes. Many places we go a 4x4 would be fine. The hard stuff I would not drive my 4x4 W sxs

TMW - 7-25-2022 at 11:20 AM

I've always been amazed at where a class 11 VW can go. When I said a Tacoma should go anywhere a SxS can I was thinking more about my Tacoma. 1st generation extended cab V6 with front and rear lockers and a 3 inch lift. The newer Tacoma is wider and heavier and probably longer.

Hopefully I got the drivers side rear shock mount solved.

David rode in my Tacoma to Mission Santa Maria so he knows what its capable of.

bajatrailrider - 7-25-2022 at 11:43 AM

I had three baja bugs amazing where they could go. Think of SXS as rear engine bug. With 4x4 light weight hi HP amazing ride. Your Gen 1 4x4 Toy the last of great Toyotas . Never sell it Why mount problem rear shock? Its not a coil over two bolts top and bottom ? I do enjoy my 92 off road long travel Toyota . Sadly no 4x4 only rear locker w 5.60 gear. Fun but stay on it in deep sand . Will see if David can post picture.

David K - 7-25-2022 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I had three baja bugs amazing where they could go. Think of SXS as rear engine bug. With 4x4 light weight hi HP amazing ride. Your Gen 1 4x4 Toy the last of great Toyotas . Never sell it Why mount problem rear shock? Its not a coil over two bolts top and bottom ? I do enjoy my 92 off road long travel Toyota . Sadly no 4x4 only rear locker w 5.60 gear. Fun but stay on it in deep sand . Will see if David can post picture.

I can post pictures (and so can you if you follow the steps)! Send me the picture, Larry!

TMW - 7-25-2022 at 04:35 PM

I've broken the drivers side top shock mount twice. I think it was because the shock didn't extend far enough. When I had the front suspension done in April I had them put a longer shock on. The new shock is 1 inch longer extended. Still a Bilstein 5100 series.

TMW - 7-25-2022 at 04:41 PM

My son has a custom built SXS that he uses when they go into the mountains of CO. His wife won't let him drive it when she goes with him. He has to ride his MC or ATV or ride passenger with her.

bajatrailrider - 7-25-2022 at 05:23 PM

HAHA Other way around when GF drives SXS .One hand on key switch other hand on Ebrake.

TMW - 7-25-2022 at 05:57 PM

His wife is a real sweetheart and she loves to drive the SXS.

advrider - 7-25-2022 at 09:46 PM

TMW, shock length is often the cause of broken mounts, shock bottoms out then rip's the mount off. All the racers also use double shear mounts to help with stress and load.

bajatrailrider - 7-26-2022 at 08:15 AM

I have many years Exp. also with long travel 4x4 lift all that. On Lifted Tacoma free standing top shock mount to rubber bump stop. Bottom out ck distance . Then rebound travel bottom mount jack up truck wheel off ground . Ck travel .

David K - 7-26-2022 at 08:42 AM

There is a forum called Tacoma World that may of us Nomad Tacoma owners read... and Tom, you are a member there... Have you seen the solutions offered there?

TMW - 7-26-2022 at 11:36 AM

I haven't been on Tacoma World in years. Maybe I'll go back and see what they say. I used a lot of the info there to setup my suspension after I bought my truck. The front lasted over 10 years of off road driving, mostly in Baja and Death Valley.

advrider - 7-27-2022 at 07:45 PM

Death Valley is another amazing area to explore, just no beaches!

bajatrailrider - 7-28-2022 at 11:44 AM

Many years ago I spend much time in DV was great. Not so anymore good routes closed long ago.

advrider - 7-28-2022 at 02:42 PM

That's the sad truth, Suprise canyon and many other amazing trails are all closed.

bajatrailrider - 7-28-2022 at 03:50 PM

Remember the town at top canyon. We left our bikes at bottom hiked all the way up.

Barry A. - 7-28-2022 at 04:34 PM

Remember the town at top canyon. We left our bikes at bottom hiked all the way up.

The top of Surprise Canyon is Panamint City!!! We drove up to it back in the '50's before the BIG Flash flood brought all that to a close.

Don Pisto - 7-28-2022 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

The top of Surprise Canyon is Panamint City!!! We drove up to it back in the '50's before the BIG Flash flood brought all that to a close.

they had cars back then? :lol:

advrider - 7-28-2022 at 04:59 PM

It was open in the 80's and late 90's to 4 wheel drive, not sure a moto could even make it back then. There were at least 5 waterfalls to winch up. I know Harold has wheeled up it. I'm thinking of hiking it in the next year or two.