BajaNomad

Rest easy....

Pompano - 4-6-2005 at 05:59 PM

You all have a holiday from Pompano posting any more pictures.....I somehow managed to erase all 1500 photos I had on my computer. So now what..? Anybody play cribbage?

Cincodemayo - 4-6-2005 at 06:21 PM

Well that would be the big bummer...sure they're not still on your hard drive? You've got awesome pictures.

Ken Bondy - 4-6-2005 at 06:34 PM

I can't live like this. No backup?

Tucker - 4-6-2005 at 06:49 PM

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe that windows xp has a restore feature......check it out!

Bajalero - 4-6-2005 at 06:59 PM

So what are we supposed to do now? :no:

As far as your computer goes , don't do anything drastic till you understand what you may or may not have left. Don't know if its true but someone once told me that if you wanted to really erase everthing on a computer you'd have to burn it down to nothing but ashes. Good luck.!

Bruce R Leech - 4-6-2005 at 07:00 PM

don't panic you can probably git them back. first try to do a restore to yesterday. if that dosent work there are otherthaings to try. you dont have any backup at all?

Bruce R Leech - 4-6-2005 at 07:01 PM

is it only the photos ? or is there other things missing?

Before u give up

Sharksbaja - 4-6-2005 at 07:05 PM

it is possible to retrieve lost data including photos depending on how and which program they were in. If they were just on the hard drive they should be in the recycle bin.

Many programs that crash, including windows have redundant save points. An expert should be able to retrieve your data but you should immediately install a new formatted hard drive and not monkey too much with the problem or else you may never retrieve it.

wornout - 4-6-2005 at 07:10 PM

Let's hope it is something simple like I did. Did you check the recycle bin? That is where I found mine and I do not have the slightest idea how they got there. One other time I managed to drag them in to another folder and didn't find the missing file until I did a search. Good luck.

bajalou - 4-6-2005 at 08:34 PM

My experiance with the "restore" feature is that it restores the operating sys and program stuff but doesn't effect files (such as pictures, letters, spreadsheets, etc) I'll hope with you that it restores this other stuff.

:biggrin:

Natalie Ann - 4-6-2005 at 10:52 PM

Pompano - This happened earlier this year to my husband - we lost several thousand images which has not yet been transferred to DVD (because the darn DVD software crashed:no:). He tried the restore functions to no avail.

He did locate, however, a firm that for a reasonable price will do a pretty good job of helping you recover them. I don't know the name of the company, but will ask him tomorrow after work. If you images are still lost after 4 p.m. Thursday, send me a u2u reminder and I'll ask Steve and get right back to you. We recovered more than 3/4 of our images - although none came back in the original order. We still haven't sorted out all of them. However we did immediately transfer all to CDs for storage and then (when software decided to work) we made second back-ups to DVD.

Be sure to let me know Thursday if you still need help.

two words

Sharksbaja - 4-6-2005 at 10:55 PM

back-up or is that one?

Thanks for all the good advice....

Pompano - 4-7-2005 at 04:20 AM

I am not close to being even computer-aware, let alone a good enough user to attempt restoring these photos in any depth, although I will try all your good suggestions. Thankfully, I do know a nice fellow in Mulege who will probably get everything back in order today sometime. He is Hugo, our local Mulege computer whiz. Hugo is truly remarkable and has helped me out in the past few months when I have caused some major crashes. (I am a regular customer now.) He is going to be a little ticked at me, though, because he recently told me to make some back-up discs...but I went fishing instead.

I don't know what I did this time...and that is the problem, you see...not knowing! Time for some computer classes, Hugo.

To all, THANKS again for your help. I will let you know what happens and how it was done...just in case anyone else has this problem.

Bruce R Leech - 4-7-2005 at 06:54 AM

good luck Pompano. scream if you need anything.

Back up

bajalou - 4-7-2005 at 09:02 AM

External hard drives are getting cheaper and cheaper. I got a 135G last year for about $150. Of course internal ones for towers are even cheaper.

You can copy all your stuff to the other drive and if you have a problem, when you get your computer back in operation, just copy it back. I don't do it as often as I probably should, but it's a really easy way to save your stuff. You can even hook a external up to a different computer if you want. Easier than making 20-30 CDs.

Natalie Ann - 4-7-2005 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
External hard drives are getting cheaper and cheaper. I got a 135G last year for about $150. Of course internal ones for towers are even cheaper.

You can copy all your stuff to the other drive and if you have a problem, when you get your computer back in operation, just copy it back. I don't do it as often as I probably should, but it's a really easy way to save your stuff. You can even hook a external up to a different computer if you want. Easier than making 20-30 CDs.

Ya know, we have a large external hard drive and also a back-up hard drive and also a second computer.... all to be certain we don't loose images before they're transferred to DVD. But as you said, we"don't do it as often as probably should". That's the key.... procrastination is not such a great idea when it comes to backing up data.:no:

Pompano

Skipjack Joe - 4-7-2005 at 11:52 AM

Unless you had a disk crash, in which case you would have lost a lot more than your photos, it really takes a lot of effort to delete all of your files. You have to delete them and go to your recycle bin and remove them from there again, each time confirming your request.

They're more than likely still on your disk. You probably renamed the folder they were in by accident. Use the search feature and look for a specific file through all of your hard drives.

bajalou - 4-8-2005 at 07:13 AM

My most common thing for loosing files is to acidently drag a file into another file. Then it's "Where'd it go??????" The Search feature helps a lot in these situations.

Bruce R Leech - 4-8-2005 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
My most common thing for loosing files is to acidently drag a file into another file. Then it's "Where'd it go??????" The Search feature helps a lot in these situations.

you are correct. this should be the first thing to try when a file disappears. I have found many this way. also when you do a save as instead of save a file can be zapped in to another file.