BajaNomad

New TJ Border Crossing - Otay East

SFandH - 8-22-2022 at 10:28 AM

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-news/crews-break-ground-...

Don Pisto - 8-22-2022 at 10:42 AM

now if we could just get agents to man em!

SFandH - 8-22-2022 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
now if we could just get agents to man em!

I know, it's crazy not to utilize the San Ysidro crossing as it was designed to be used. I wonder if they are going to shut down some San Ysidro lanes so they have staff for the new crossing. I wouldn't be surprised.

SFandH - 8-22-2022 at 10:55 AM

Plus, they've closed down the new PedWest pedestrian crossing. Many times people wait in line for a couple of hours to walk across the East Crossing.

Don Pisto - 8-22-2022 at 10:59 AM

what do think it'll cost to get on that toll road?

SFandH - 8-22-2022 at 11:10 AM

what do think it'll cost to get on that toll road?

???? $5.00 maybe. Plus another hour wait to get through the toll booth. :O

BajaTed - 8-22-2022 at 12:53 PM

Will the "Century 2000" toll road be the most direct route from the coast to the new crossing?

SFandH - 8-22-2022 at 01:10 PM

A San Diego radio news report I just heard said it's "just east" of the current Otay crossing.

David K - 8-22-2022 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Will the "Century 2000" toll road be the most direct route from the coast to the new crossing?

YES, I think so! It sure is to the the other Otay crossing... or Tecate from the Rosarito to Cantamar coast.

The 'Corredor 2000' is NOT a toll road. Only the 2-D to Tecate or the 1-D to Ensenada are, in that area of Baja. Both have free alternate roads (no D in the highway name). Corredor (formerly Blvd.) 2000 is not always labeled correctly on maps... It is BC #201. Where it meets, and then you use the 2-D on to Otay Border, are no tolls:

Here is the Corredor 2000 on the 2010 AAA Map:

[Edited on 8-24-2022 by David K]

Don Pisto - 8-22-2022 at 02:32 PM

northbound toll road onto bl 2000 is indeed a toll road

mtgoat666 - 8-22-2022 at 02:35 PM

Here is a map of new border xing and new toll road on usa side.
https://www.sandag.org/uploads/projectid/projectid_56_27817....

Don Pisto - 8-22-2022 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

That is for the section of the the toll road (1-D) you used just south... since you won't be paying for it at the Playas toll booth as you otherwise would be. Playas to Tijuana is a free section of 1-D and all of BC 201 is a free highway. Even though it seems not the way you pay when you leave 1-D to get on 201.

I don't know what you're talking about, bl 2000 off the toll road they collect a toll to travel said road....sounds like a toll road to me. what do the playas have to do with anything?

mtgoat666 - 8-22-2022 at 04:28 PM

That is for the section of the the toll road (1-D) you used just south... since you won't be paying for it at the Playas toll booth as you otherwise would be. Playas to Tijuana is a free section of 1-D and all of BC 201 is a free highway. Even though it seems not the way you pay when you leave 1-D to get on 201.

I don't know what you're talking about, bl 2000 off the toll road they collect a toll to travel said road....sounds like a toll road to me. what do the playas have to do with anything?

Dk,
There are parts of bl 2000 that cannot be driven w/o paying a toll. So that means those parts of bl 2000 are functionally a toll road :light::lol:

Maderita - 8-22-2022 at 04:33 PM

The toll that you pay upon entering Corredor 2000 is after driving that section of 1-D. You are paying for 1-D miles driven. Playas Tijuana is further north. If you kept going north on 1-D, then you would pay a toll at that booth.

Highway 2-D has a similar situation at El Hongo (east of Tecate). You pay for miles driven on 2-D if you choose to exit the toll road at El Hongo.

I did find a way to cheat the system though. I stopped 100m before the toll and did a U-turn. Then went through the toll booth in reverse. They had to pay me the full amount of the toll! ;)

Don Pisto - 8-22-2022 at 04:46 PM

thats not true, the only toll collected at popotla is for traveling north on blvd 2000, paying to drive on 1-D happens at the rosarito toll booth, 4 miles up the road.

David K - 8-22-2022 at 04:46 PM

Thank you Maderita... I am not sure why this was hard to understand... but when someone else explains it, that helps.

Don Pisto, with all due respect, the toll collected going northbound, when you leave Hwy. 1-D, was for the last few miles of 1-D... not for any of the Corredor 2000. You can enter 2000 from the free road at that location, too... and there is no toll gate. Also, southbound from 2-D near Otay is no toll gate. A toll for only going north and only from using the other toll road, would be a bit unfair, yes?

Naturally, things may change... if they do, please inform us here!

Goat, since you don't go to Mexico (let's see the photos), I am wondering how you experienced driving the Corredor 2000? Just what part is toll...? Tell us where the toll gate is on the 201 other than if you are coming off the 1-D northbound... which Maderita and I tried to explain.

willardguy - 8-22-2022 at 05:38 PM

That is for the section of the the toll road (1-D) you used just south... since you won't be paying for it at the Rosarito toll booth as you otherwise would be. Playas to Tijuana is a free section of 1-D and all of BC 201 is a free highway. Even though it seems not the way you pay when you leave 1-D to get on 201.

[Edited on 8-22-2022 by David K]

and you're not paying for it at the rosarito toll booth because??

might as well throw in my 2 cents

John M - 8-22-2022 at 07:25 PM

We left Tecate, westbound on the toll road to access the SENTRI at Otay Mesa as the Tecate crossing was backed up further than we had ever seen it, all the way to McDonalds.

We sailed along getting close to the Otay exit thinking we avoided a toll. Then within a quarter mile of the exit up pops a toll booth. They relieved us of almost $7.00 American.

Yep it was a toll road alright.

Still we were hours ahead of where we would have been at Tecate. Sentri at Otay 10 minutes on a Thursday mid-afternoon.

John M

AKgringo - 8-22-2022 at 07:39 PM

Seven dollars well spent!

BornFisher - 8-22-2022 at 09:55 PM

Blvd 2000 is not a tool road if you get on it from the free road!

willardguy - 8-22-2022 at 10:21 PM

they built that toll booth for one reason, to fund repairs, god knows where that money went, that road is a wreck...

Much Ado About Nothing

SFandH - 8-23-2022 at 08:47 AM

A toll to get on a road or to get off a road, that is. Ya still gotta pay.

I've been reading about how this new crossing is going to shorten the lines at the other TJ crossings. Yeah, sure.

If that's the goal, all they need to do is fully staff the existing crossings. There are always closed gates.

I wonder what construction company has the contract and how many lobbyists the company has walking the hallways in the Capitol building. Some fat cat construction company owner in Rancho Santa Fe has just ordered a new megayacht.