BajaNomad

A breading tip for deep frying fillets

AKgringo - 8-24-2022 at 11:21 AM

Not a recipe, just a tip!

I am sitting here getting hungry and thought about the way I sometimes cooked abalone. Instead of bread crumbs or planko, crush some wheat thins (or the generic thin wheats) and follow your favorite recipe.

That's all I have; I was just snacking on some wheat thins and it triggered a memory.

torch - 8-24-2022 at 01:46 PM

back in the 80's i did an overnight island trip out of Bay of LA and the pongero used corn flakes for the breading.

[Edited on 8-24-2022 by torch]

shari - 8-24-2022 at 01:49 PM

I learned from the First Nations folks a little secret making all fried fish super tasty. The coat the filet in mustard and then bread it...it just makes the flavour pop!

Don Pisto - 8-24-2022 at 02:57 PM

Aunt Jemima pancake mix

mtgoat666 - 8-24-2022 at 03:43 PM

i generally prefer cornmeal instead of flour. lots of recipes on the net for seasoning cornmeal coating.

one thing i do: fry it outdoors; frying indoors makes the kitchen greasy...

Floatflyer - 8-24-2022 at 04:29 PM

Got to throw my $.02 in the mix. We used Nabisco's Chicken in a Biskit crackers. Got another question for you, anybody been able to have abalone an honest 1/2" thick you could cut with a fork??

John Harper - 8-24-2022 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
wheat thins (or the generic thin wheats)

Wheat Thins and Triscuits have to be the worst crackers ever made, IMO. Bless you for buying them. Someone has to, I guess.

To each his own. Aren't Triscuits like shredded wheat cereal? Thumbs down on that too.

I use milk or beaten eggs as a dip before coating with meal. Used panko, pancake, flour, cornmeal. It all works.

But, I'd rather grill it than fry it.

John

AKgringo - 8-24-2022 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Floatflyer  
Got to throw my $.02 in the mix. We used Nabisco's Chicken in a Biskit crackers. Got another question for you, anybody been able to have abalone an honest 1/2" thick you could cut with a fork??

Yes! Until I moved to Alaska, trips to the coast for abalone dives was a favorite of mine. We would shuck and trim the abs, place them on a flat surface and let the muscle relax, then smack them once with a 2x4.

We would then slice them vertically, cut the tough foot surface off, and they were ready to cook. they were nice thick little slices that were tender enough to be finger food.

advrider - 8-24-2022 at 08:31 PM

Mustard is also a common binder for BBQ rubs, adds flavor and sticks like concrete. Never have tried abalone, been on my list for years.
Didn't try mountain oyster for years because I couldn't get past what they were. An old cowboy told me, son just stay away from them, you won't like'm, as he shoveled them down. Must say I love them now, Italian style...

Howard - 8-24-2022 at 09:29 PM

Abalone is like crack for me. For my taste buds nothing compares to some that is lightly breaded and quick fried in butter.

Now for the big question, where in the h-ll can you get abalone that isn't canned and I don't have to mortgage the house?

It's been years for me, anyone have any legal in's anywhere? I tried the Co-ops in B.A. and struck out.