BajaNomad

Starlink install

Markus10L - 9-9-2022 at 01:44 PM

Hopefully I am not the only person who has or had this question but. Is anyone having problems finding a way to safely mount your starlink?

I have a flat concrete roof with pretty big eaves so the wall mount doesn't seem like it will work. I have the Gen 2 dishy that comes with the four leg mount which I dont have a whole lot of faith in. I ordered the sloped roof mount but it does not have an opening to slide in a pvc pipe to drop into the house.

I live in Todos Santos and see lots of starlinks coming into the shop I send my mail to. Little worried about when there is some strong wind don't want it to rip out of the roof.

Does anyone have any suggestions or possible pics of how they installed theirs? Specifically looking for roof mounting solutions.

mjs - 9-9-2022 at 02:05 PM

There are holes in the legs of the provided mount. Use some 1/4" anchors into your concrete roof (assuming you have a clear view of the sky). That was enough to get us through Kay.

chippy - 9-9-2022 at 02:07 PM

I would use the supplied base, some tapcons or lags+shields with a good sealent. Or if you don´t want holes, cement blocks or sand bags.

Markus10L - 9-9-2022 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
There are holes in the legs of the provided mount. Use some 1/4" anchors into your concrete roof (assuming you have a clear view of the sky). That was enough to get us through Kay.

Did you use the blue concrete screws? Or did you get the plastic anchors with 1/4 bolts?

Markus10L - 9-9-2022 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I would use the supplied base, some tapcons or lags+shields with a good sealent. Or if you don´t want holes, cement blocks or sand bags.

Think if you filled 4 cmu blocks with concrete and attached one leg to each that it would be sturdy enough for high winds?

Guess it wouldn't rip any holes into the roof which is a big bonus.

mtgoat666 - 9-9-2022 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Markus10L  

Did you use the blue concrete screws? Or did you get the plastic anchors with 1/4 bolts?

Use wedge-type expansion bolts for concrete anchors (e.g. red head trubolts)

mjs - 9-9-2022 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Markus10L  

Mine is on a wood roof so I used some ss screws. But I would use tapcon (blue concrete screws) on a concrete surface.

mtgoat666 - 9-9-2022 at 02:48 PM

Use one of these weighted with concrete blocks

Markus10L - 9-9-2022 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Use one of these weighted with concrete blocks

I like this idea the best. Going to have to order one in the CA and grab it. Looks like you could get around 6-8 blocks on it.

Been thinking for the temporary. Drilling out 3/8 holes into the sides of 4 cmu blocks throwing in a stainless bolt and washer and filling the blocks up with concrete and put one for each leg using a washer on top and stainless steel locking nut on top. Thinking an 8x8x16 may be around 50lbs each if I can get some at home depot.

Bob and Susan - 9-9-2022 at 06:54 PM

you are overthinking it... just bolt it down with plastic anchors

dont buy anything

RFClark - 9-9-2022 at 10:14 PM

B&S,

Agreed, we have a Gen 1 dish in SF it’s on a flat roof mounted with 4 screws. Wind blew 65mph last night the dish is still there and working.

The dish in Cerritos is just sitting on top of the generator house wind blew 55mph there it didn’t move or stop working.