BajaNomad

Puerto Agua Verde post Kay

pjpvi - 9-10-2022 at 10:02 AM

Been following the extensive damage from Kay. Very sad for many down there.

I am heading down mid-Oct. thru mid-Nov. with plans to spend a while in Puerto Agua Verde. I know it's probably too soon after the storm but if anyone heads there or finds a report elsewhere please post up on road conditions.

Thanks

pacsur - 9-11-2022 at 05:22 AM

I spoke with my pool guy on Friday who has family and spends a lot of time up there, he said road was washed out by Kay, if I see him mañana I will try and get details.

Tacayo - 9-11-2022 at 07:56 AM

I'm not sure the road is open yet but a friend sent a photo of heavy machinery already working to open it up. The section known as "concrete curve" took a bit of hit along with lots of rocks in the road and washouts elsewhere.
I doubt you'll have any problems by the time you are are going unless another storm hits.
Despite the road damage the rain was a blessing for the folks who live there. The area was in a severe drought with a lot of animals dying. One friend said it was the most rain in four years.

AKgringo - 9-11-2022 at 08:24 AM

Driving on the roads less traveled is one of my main attractions to Baja California. I don't need a reason, or destination to take one of those roads, I just like exploring!

Until I get more accurate, firsthand reports, I would expect flooding damage and silt bed traps on some of the flatter routes, and severe washouts on the steeper routes over passes.

The flats will take some time to dry out, but they are much easier to repair, or detour around than the steeper grades.

surfhat - 9-11-2022 at 10:47 AM

One thing we all know, the roads will be passable in no time thanks to the locals and their machinery. Alternative roads are their expertise and we all benefit from their abilities to create a way when one gets washed out.

Some of the out of the way routes may take a few days longer, but rest assured, those will become passable shortly if not already.

Industriousness is them all over, when it counts. We all benefit and should show our appreciation every chance we get in whatever ways we can.

The smallest of gestures on our part can mean much more to them and costs us practically nada.

pjpvi - 9-11-2022 at 04:29 PM

I agree with all said above. Was just curious if there were any first hand reports yet. Thanks

pacsur - 9-12-2022 at 08:05 AM

Spoke with my pool guy just now, he says there are 3 curves with concrete, all washed out. He said machinery has been working and is about 1/2 way, he believes they will be finished before end of week.

JZ - 9-12-2022 at 08:15 AM

I wonder how the backdoor route faired.

mtgoat666 - 9-12-2022 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
One thing we all know, the roads will be passable in no time thanks to the locals and their machinery. Alternative roads are their expertise and we all benefit from their abilities to create a way when one gets washed out.

Some communities take several weeks to get roads restored, for example the sierras, el datil, Laguna San Ignacio, etc. they don’t have equipment, so rely on it being brought in, and in case of el datil and the lagoon, it takes quite a while to dry out the mudflats

Anyone heard from the sierras?

[Edited on 9-12-2022 by mtgoat666]

John Harper - 9-12-2022 at 08:54 AM

I'd like to know how the San Rafael river did up near MSR. I'm sure the trout could use a good flushing out of gravel beds for spawning.

John

chippy - 9-12-2022 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Probably not well.:(

Don Pisto - 9-12-2022 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  

Some communities take several weeks to get roads restored, for example the sierras, el datil, Laguna San Ignacio, etc. they don’t have equipment, so rely on it being brought in, and in case of el datil and the lagoon, it takes quite a while to dry out the mudflats

Anyone heard from the sierras?

[Edited on 9-12-2022 by mtgoat666]

san pedro martir...

4x4abc - 9-12-2022 at 10:29 AM

I have run guided expeditions through Baja since 1986
every fall I pre-run the trails prone to washouts
Agua Verde backdoor, San Evaristo - El Bosque, La Turquesa, Mulege - Guadajemi

we often go despite road damage
making a road drivable is a cool male bonding experience

Dave.jpg - 250kB

HeyMulegeScott - 9-12-2022 at 12:17 PM

Talk Baja Road conditions post -

Larry Trim
23hs ago
Today we did Agua Verde to Mulege . No road issues

JZ - 9-12-2022 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I have run guided expeditions through Baja since 1986
every fall I pre-run the trails prone to washouts
Agua Verde backdoor, San Evaristo - El Bosque, La Turquesa, Mulege - Guadajemi

we often go despite road damage

Can you make it drivable before my Thanksgiving trip? ;)

David K - 9-12-2022 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I'd like to know how the San Rafael river did up near MSR. I'm sure the trout could use a good flushing out of gravel beds for spawning.

John

The volume of water at Mike's during the rain was massive, no vehicle crossings. I would worry that the trout got flushed down the mountain! Hope not...

mtgoat666 - 9-12-2022 at 05:01 PM

4x4testosterone:
There appears to be a woman in your pic. Was she the help? Was she allowed to bond?

[Edited on 9-13-2022 by mtgoat666]

JZ - 9-12-2022 at 05:07 PM

4x4testosterone:
There appears to be a woman in your pic. Was she the help? Was she allowed to bond?

Someone has to make sandwiches for lunch.

4x4abc - 9-12-2022 at 05:08 PM

4x4testosterone:

[Edited on 9-13-2022 by mtgoat666]

the task was to impress her

wilderone - 9-18-2022 at 08:48 AM

Someone has to make sandwiches for lunch. BOO HISS

On the other hand, why get your fingernails broken when you have three dudes to do the work. I'll make the sandwiches!

So let's see the finished road work.

David K - 9-18-2022 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Someone has to make sandwiches for lunch. BOO HISS

On the other hand, why get your fingernails broken when you have three dudes to do the work. I'll make the sandwiches!

So let's see the finished road work.

Hear hear! :light:

Grenadiers - 9-20-2022 at 06:45 AM

Hey, would like to hear more on the AV back road! Have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ with 35” BFG’s, Atlas transfer case, 4.5” lift, locked Dana 44’s front and rear. Tired of just running to Mulege for beer and driving sandy desert roads!

4x4abc - 9-20-2022 at 08:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Grenadiers  
Hey, would like to hear more on the AV back road! Have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ with 35” BFG’s, Atlas transfer case, 4.5” lift, locked Dana 44’s front and rear. Tired of just running to Mulege for beer and driving sandy desert roads!

go do it! Not easy.

4x4abc - 9-20-2022 at 08:34 AM

you start at km 16 - 25°30'55.83"N, 111° 5'5.69"W
drive up the Arroyo
head uphill here - 25°29'40.12"N, 111° 5'58.14"W
keep going until you reach Constitucion
an alternative, more scenic route starts here:
25°23'39.59"N, 111° 8'28.54"W

Attachment: 4x4 rural agua verde back door.kmz (6kB)
This file has been downloaded 154 times