BajaNomad

House Generator

Markus10L - 9-14-2022 at 09:29 AM

I am looking into getting a generator for my house in B.C.S

I have seen homes listed on the MLS with a Generac so I assume they are available down here unless everyone just drove theirs down.

My house is approximately 1800 sqft and have standard appliances (refrigerator, soon to be stand alone freezer, microwave, washer, *electric dryer, *3 mini splits, fans, Starlink (: finally got installed, lights etc..). I understand that the larger the generators are the more expensive they will be. Although the mini splits sure make things comfortable in the summers they are not necessary depending on the price increase of the generators.

For anyone that does have a house generator regardless, does it consume a large amount of propane or do you guys run it on diesel? Also if anyone has added one to their property in the last 5 years do you have an approximate cost for this added convenience?

gnukid - 9-14-2022 at 09:38 AM

Generally, when we run generator, we only run one circuit to run the fridge, one light per room and fans (no ac), so we can get by with a small Honda 2000 that uses only a little gas every 12 hours.

Markus10L - 9-14-2022 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Generally, when we run generator, we only run one circuit to run the fridge, one light per room and fans (no ac), so we can get by with a small Honda 2000 that uses only a little gas every 12 hours.

I have considered this option as well. Are you referring to built in fans or table fans?

RFClark - 9-14-2022 at 10:45 AM

We have a Harbor Freight 9 KW inverter generator. It will run the house because we use it to charge the batteries and run the house off the inverter system. This saves run time on the generator as well.

If you are trying to back up CFE not solar you will need at least 20KW since the dryer alone probably uses 10KW. If your mini splits are not inverter mini splits. 20KW may not be enough to use AC and the dryer together. You will also need a transfer switch.

At a 4KW load we burn about a gal of propane per hour and the fumes are less toxic than gas or diesel. Generally in cloudy weather we run the plant about 3 - 4 hours in the evening. We usually have 200+ gal of propane on hand.

Cost of equipment (ours) $900 US. You could buy a large generac plant and transfer switch from COSTCO in Los Cabos. Supplies of plants may be a problem currently.

Markus10L - 9-14-2022 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
We have a Harbor Freight 9 KW inverter generator. It will run the house because we use it to charge the batteries and run the house off the inverter system. This saves run time on the generator as well.

If you are trying to back up CFE not solar you will need at least 20KW since the dryer alone probably uses 10KW. If your mini splits are not inverter mini splits. 20KW may not be enough to use AC and the dryer together. You will also need a transfer switch..

At a 4KW load we burn about a gal of propane per hour and the fumes are less toxic than gas or diesel. Generally in cloudy weather we run the plant about 3 - 4 hours in the evening. We usually have 200+ gal of propane on hand.

Cost of equipment (ours) $900 US. You could buy a large generac plant and transfer switch from COSTCO in Los Cabos. Supplies of plants may be a problem currently.

This is great info, thank you. When needed I will definitely have to use power sparingly i.e. not running both the ac and dryer simultaneously. Sounds like if power is out for 4 days may not be a bad idea for a separate propane tank.

If one decides to go with the generac route is housing the unit recommended? Not sure how easy one could be packed up in a truck if left unattended for a few days

[Edited on 9-14-2022 by Markus10L]

gnukid - 9-14-2022 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Markus10L  

I have considered this option as well. Are you referring to built in fans or table fans?

Portable fans, the ones that have a stand, usually about $50-100, they are excellent because you can turn them to point directly at you or move them away and you can easily connect them to an extension to the live circuit.

BajaParrothead - 9-14-2022 at 02:25 PM

Mark, My home in Los Barriles has 4 minisplit AC units and we get by with a 16kw Generac. It was purchased and installed by Cape Generators in Cabo. Contact info is Omar Venegas +52 624 358 1808.

Don Pisto - 9-14-2022 at 02:31 PM

we also used a eu2000 to run a small window ac on eco mode for sleeping, worked great! then we wised up and moved to the cool side!:D

Bob and Susan - 9-14-2022 at 05:04 PM

these guys are talking about baby camping generators

get a diesel 1800rpm unit
20-30k

you need a transfer switch.. could be $800

generac units are not 24/7 units and run at 3600 rpm
back up only...they dont last

you should never run generator over 1/2 its rated capacity
so if its a 12k unit you use 6k

baby generators run as high as 5000 rpm and will fry in 2 seasons

also with baby camping generators you are limited to the size of the plug... so a 30amp plug is 3k even if its on a 10k harbor freight generator
and again with 3k usable electric is 1500w

Markus10L - 9-14-2022 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
these guys are talking about baby camping generators

get a diesel 1800rpm unit
20-30k

you need a transfer switch.. could be $800

generac units are not 24/7 units and run at 3600 rpm
back up only...they dont last

you should never run generator over 1/2 its rated capacity
so if its a 12k unit you use 6k

baby generators run as high as 5000 rpm and will fry in 2 seasons

also with baby camping generators you are limited to the size of the plug... so a 30amp plug is 3k even if its on a 10k harbor freight generator
and again with 3k usable electric is 1500w

Are you talking about a commercial grade generator ? I do not have much of an electrical background and not sure how that would equate to KW but sounds like it would be quite a bit.

The purpose of the genny is for power outages for a few days at a time. I am connected to CFE and have been down here in the house for about a month now and have had 2 days w/o power (Kay). I heard that the area that I am in it is not uncommon for the power to go out maybe 4-6 days a year.

Been doing a little research and heard quite a few good things about the Cummins 20 KW. Not sure they are available down here and would likely need to order one and drive it down. Without too much knowledge on the topic I am not sure if the differences between the Cummins 20 KW out weighs the Generac 20 KW (or 16 KW depending on size needed for house) availability, gas to haul, and risk at customs if they check what is in the back.

RFClark - 9-14-2022 at 08:24 PM

Markus,

The Generac in the housing is fine. All generators need to be exercised monthly under load. If you run 10 days a year that’s 240 hrs + 5 hrs exercise a year. With care the generac will last 8 years. It will need a couple of new batteries and a few oil changes. A better diesel generator will run more hours but since it probably has a water cooling system will require more service. The two advantages of the generac for the low usage you anticipate is it’s air cooled and it’s propane powered. Propane never goes bad in storage! It’s cheaper than gas or diesel. Both collect water in areas of high humidity.

mjs - 9-15-2022 at 03:12 AM

Multiple errors in b&s statements.

Stationary gensets will usually have two power ratings, standby and prime. Prime will be lower and is the extended runtime i.e. multiple days or longer of continuous operation. You need to size the genset to your loads. To small is an obvious problem but to large is bad also. The running load should be about 75% of the genset capacity. This is the most efficient operation and leaves enough excess capacity for intermittent loads. Diesels with light loading are subject to wet stacking (that's bad). Over sizing the genset wastes $. Both on initial cost and running cost.

Diesel does have an energy advantage over propane (btu/gallon) but that comes with storage issues that have to be delt with whereas propane has almost no issues.

Figure out what your emergency power needs really are then size your genset appropriately. That may be a large whole house unit if you have a large house you need to keep fully air conditioned for a week or more. Or something like a 3kW portable unit if you just need to keep the fridge cold, a couple led lights on and maybe a small bedroom AC unit running.

Also be sure and consider what your fueling and maintenance needs will be. Are you going to have to haul 5 gallon cans of liquid fuel in your car and store them somewhere vs a propane truck that pulls up to your house? Can you service and repair yourself or do you need a mechanic to come to you? In which case a portable unit might be easier to have serviced if you can transport it to town. Would a cheap Harbor Freight or Champion unit do the job of an expensive diesel unit? Sure it won't run for 60 days straight or the 50k to 100k hours the diesel will but do you need it to?

TLDR: evaluate what tool you need to do the job and get the right tool for you.

Personal experience, we went from a couple of well used portable gas generators (previous owner) to a $700 Champion 6kW propane unit to a 12kW (10kW prime) Isuzu diesel. The Champion was connected to our large propane tank and served our needs but was a bit noisy. When we started to full time in San Felipe I bought the Isuzu (got a good deal) because we air conditioned the house and use it daily in the summer between dusk and bedtime. Our use is different then yours being we are fully off grid. If I were to do it today I'd invest in enough lithium battery to just eliminate the genset and that Champion unit could still meet our backup needs.

pacsur - 9-15-2022 at 04:30 AM

Comment and question- I have 2 eu2000's, 1 runs fridge and freezer alternately, tv's, fan, lights, and internet, I picked a spare one and plan to run a 12,000btu 110v stand alone ac in a small room when needed. I had a 7,500watt gas gen durning Odile, fuel was a major issue, many others with propane units had the same issue, I bought my first eu2000 1 week after Odile only for the low fuel consumption and have made it work since, they are great little gen's and always seem to start up when needed.
My question is what would be needed to run a 18,000btu 220v ac 12 hours a day with lithium batteries and everything it takes to make it work, and to be able to charge those batteries with 1 or 2 Honda eu2000’s? Is it possible? How much money and space would that require?

BigWooo - 9-15-2022 at 06:09 AM

I agree with RFClark. My Generac lasted exactly 8 years. After about 6 years it began to be more and more problematic. I'd never buy another. A lot depends on how much you will need to use it and for how many hours. Prime lower RPM generator would be the best option. Diesel is the most reliable. Just have to deal with the diesel storage issue. Every generator has a down side. Just have to decide which is the most acceptable for you. Personally I have a Honda 6500. I rarely need it, but it does fine for the few days per year that it's necessary. I can run the entire house, two fridges, freezer, coffee maker, TV and one ton mini split no problem. If it's something you need to use on a more regular basis, and for multiple days in a row, I'd consider a prime lower RPM unit.

Markus10L - 9-15-2022 at 09:45 AM

I think for my purposes the low RPM large diesel generator may be overkill.

Basing the pricing for a Cummins 20kW house generator in the US it comes out to roughly $6,000.00 (w/o install). I would presume that the house generators are likely more expensive purchasing them in Baja Sur due to IVA and import fees. I have not been able to find a Cummins house generator (this is a LPG unit that runs quiet and supposedly less maintenance and longer life expectancy) in Baja. Although the Generacs appear to be common down here.

To purchase a brand new EU2000 it is around $1,000-1,200.00. I have had a honda EU2000 in the past and it was indestructible as long as you did not run old gas through it. With old gas being ran through those gennys you could still easily clean out the carb and it would fire right back up. I believe that the EU2000 was peak 2000 kw if I am not mistaken and believe that it could do as what has been listed on the previous posts for performance.

The larger gennys I would assume are much louder than the indestructible EU2000s. I googled the price in US for the Honda 6500 which is approx $3,000.00 which I would assume you would also need a transfer switch (guessing $800) to run the mini split etc.

Assuming the prices down in MX are a little higher i would assume in total may be looking at $4,000.00-$4,500.00 for this set up which would be a manual start and of course running gasoline and would not include install of the transfer switch.

Honda's gennys (atleast the EU 2000) are outstanding products.

The lithium battery storage mjs has referred to is something I have not put any thought into. Does anyone know what the shelf life of the lithium batteries are? Also to touch on pacsur's question. Will the EU2000's have any problem charging those batteries?

I am grateful for all of the advice and different outlooks for backup power from everyone. I was really hoping that the answer was going to be straight forward i.e. Generacs last forever get one of those. But it looks like there maybe a bit more thought that I will need to put into this...

BajaParrothead - 9-15-2022 at 10:03 AM

There is a Cummins dealer in La Paz.
Cummins de Baja.
612 123-5232
Carretera Transpeninsular al Norte km 10, La Paz

Markus10L - 9-15-2022 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
There is a Cummins dealer in La Paz.
Cummins de Baja.
612 123-5232
Carretera Transpeninsular al Norte km 10, La Paz

This is great news. Thank you I will certainly stop in to check out what they have to offer.

Obviously reading into the life expectancy of the units on a website which is trying to sell you one will likely be a little fabricated but they state 15-20 years for an average home.

mtgoat666 - 9-15-2022 at 11:34 AM

On my construction sites we always use trailer-mounted generators to power trailers, equipment, etc. For backup power used infrequently, seems like it would make sense to buy mobile generator instead of unit hat is heavy, hard to move. Just build a shed around your gen and fuel tank.
That way you can tow it to mechanic when it needs service, or take it with you when you sell house.
Diesel storage is not difficult, lots of tanks on market, they come with secondary containment too. Also, I am sure you could find a local willing to deliver diesel fuel. May not be as common as propane services, but I see lots of people transporting fuel for remote communities, remote fishing camps etc....

JDCanuck - 9-15-2022 at 11:59 AM

I am looking into getting a generator for my house in B.C.S

I have seen homes listed on the MLS with a Generac so I assume they are available down here unless everyone just drove theirs down.

My house is approximately 1800 sqft and have standard appliances (refrigerator, soon to be stand alone freezer, microwave, washer, *electric dryer, *3 mini splits, fans, Starlink (: finally got installed, lights etc..). I understand that the larger the generators are the more expensive they will be. Although the mini splits sure make things comfortable in the summers they are not necessary depending on the price increase of the generators.

For anyone that does have a house generator regardless, does it consume a large amount of propane or do you guys run it on diesel? Also if anyone has added one to their property in the last 5 years do you have an approximate cost for this added convenience?

It sounds to me like you have something similar to our home, heavily dependent on electric appliances. We have installed a very quiet 13kw Cummins automatic startup generator to supplement our solar system when the batteries and solar yield is insufficient to power everything overnite or on extended cloudy periods. While this reduces the wasted energy by recharging the lithium batteries and thereby reduces the unloaded run time, the propane it uses while running is pretty high. Our batteries will only absorb about 6800 watts of that maximum power rating, so I would guess it is running at close to the lowest power production it is capable of. It is running off a 250 gal propane storage tank, and we should have installed a larger tank due to issues getting deliveries for such a small amount to our remote location when it needs topping up. In just under 6 hours total run time in about 10 startups it has used about 1/3 of the tank storage. Each run is set for a minimum 10 min before shutdown, but it generally recharges sufficiently within 1/2 hour and then shuts down.

The Cummins dealer listed above in La Paz is where we obtained it, and we were very happy with their installation and setup which was included in the approximately 5000 US total price.

[Edited on 9-15-2022 by JDCanuck]

dtbushpilot - 9-15-2022 at 01:32 PM

We have the 20KV Cummins Onan generator sourced from the La Paz Cummins dealer. We also have the transfer switch, don’t let anyone talk you out of a transfer switch. It is on the roof of the garage along with a 1000 liter propane tank that serves the house as well. It has worked great for us, not many issues, been doing it’s job for 9 years including 18 days without power during Hurricane Odile. On the few long outages we have had (over 24 hours continuous) we will run it a few hours at a time to conserve fuel and let the gen rest but it isn’t necessary. We run the pool pump, water pressure pump, fridges, fans and one AC at night. We have a diesel generator at another house down here, you don’t want that for what your needs will be. Be sure it is professionally installed!

Markus10L - 9-15-2022 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
We have the 20KV Cummins Onan generator sourced from the La Paz Cummins dealer. We also have the transfer switch, don’t let anyone talk you out of a transfer switch. It is on the roof of the garage along with a 1000 liter propane tank that serves the house as well. It has worked great for us, not many issues, been doing it’s job for 9 years including 18 days without power during Hurricane Odile. On the few long outages we have had (over 24 hours continuous) we will run it a few hours at a time to conserve fuel and let the gen rest but it isn’t necessary. We run the pool pump, water pressure pump, fridges, fans and one AC at night. We have a diesel generator at another house down here, you don’t want that for what your needs will be. Be sure it is professionally installed!

I feel like I am leaning towards the same setup you have... I have a 250 gallon tank for the house but I am considering acquiring a separate tank just for the generator. I am going to reach out to Cummins to see what they are asking for the 20 kw. I assumed that the transfer switch would not be an option for the genny but required but I will take your advice and I will make sure it comes with one.

DTBushpilot- I have my private pilot license and worked as a skydiving instructor for 11 years. Do you still fly?

dtbushpilot - 9-15-2022 at 03:03 PM

I feel like I am leaning towards the same setup you have... I have a 250 gallon tank for the house but I am considering acquiring a separate tank just for the generator. I am going to reach out to Cummins to see what they are asking for the 20 kw. I assumed that the transfer switch would not be an option for the genny but required but I will take your advice and I will make sure it comes with one.

DTBushpilot- I have my private pilot license and worked as a skydiving instructor for 11 years. Do you still fly?

I don’t, sold the 180 several years ago. I wasn’t flying enough any more. I moved full time to MX and the plane was hangared in New Mexico. I had many years of adventure with it.

Keithcapt - 9-15-2022 at 11:04 PM

As a guy that's been doing this for a living since 1982 , on boats, ships, my east cape pad and RVs,, trailers,&.5thwheels I van tell its not one simple answer.. If u want to have a pro help U for Free,, I'm willing to help ya.. If U give back to the

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2022 at 05:58 AM

in a disaster...natural gas will be shut off for safety by the gas company...no fuel for the generator

propane wont be delivered for weeks...at 2 gallons an hour you will run out of propane pretty fast

diesel and gas is always available...if you have pesos truck and cars always have gas to sell...

mark is on the grid...all he needs is a baby generator to plug in the fridg and use lights...no need for ac in a disaster

a small honda 2000 will fit the bill and sip gas

electric will be on soon enough and hes home free...

i'd worry more how to get food and drinking water

bajatrailrider - 9-16-2022 at 07:54 AM

I use my Honda 2000 when power goes out same deal. Ref. one light TV and internet. It will not run my water pump stand alone or water heater or AC. So I will get harbor freight 6500 gen I think about 800 bucks. Even that is china junk the little I use it should last.

Markus10L - 9-16-2022 at 08:22 AM

Yes, hondas would foot the bill for what is needed- refrigerator, lights, fans, internet, etc.

I say internet because my girlfriend works from home and I am trying to follow those steps so that I can stay down here for good.

I am gravitating towards the house generator because of convenience and comfortability. No I do not need an AC, washer/dryer, or hot water (instant hot water heater). But, I have these things on the house because of creature comforts.

I am sure a lot of people have pools even though they are not too far from the ocean but they have them because its something that makes them comfortable.

I am going to go to Cummins in the near future and price out the 20 Kw system. I am not an expert in this area but I feel that the air cooled LPG house generator may be best for what I am looking for.

RFClark - 9-16-2022 at 08:49 AM

As an interesting addition to this discussion, dealers in California say that they can no longer sell Honda power products because of changes in California law.

JDCanuck - 9-16-2022 at 10:29 AM

Markus: I think you are choosing the right path. It's a very complicated issue and depends primarily on what you want out of your investment(emergency backup of highest priority equipment only, or full functionality). We fortunately drew from the experience of Como El Sol and their solar system installations located near you in Pescadero.
They were the ones that suggested the sizing as they knew what our power needs were. They also pointed us to Cummins in La Paz, worked with them on the installation and tuning for our combined system and we got a very robust reliable installation as a result.
The only thing I would change is the storage tank to a significantly larger size, and that only because of remote delivery issues. The cost difference in sizing is not significant once installation is factored in.

Markus10L - 9-16-2022 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Markus: I think you are choosing the right path. It's a very complicated issue and depends primarily on what you want out of your investment(emergency backup of highest priority equipment only, or full functionality). We fortunately drew from the experience of Como El Sol and their solar system installations located near you in Pescadero.
They were the ones that suggested the sizing as they knew what our power needs were. They also pointed us to Cummins in La Paz, worked with them on the installation and tuning for our combined system and we got a very robust reliable installation as a result.
The only thing I would change is the storage tank to a significantly larger size, and that only because of remote delivery issues. The cost difference in sizing is not significant once installation is factored in.

What size do you suggest?

I have a 250 gallon tank for the range and water heater. I do not believe that it will be a reliable source to purpose both the generator and LPG needs for normal living at the house. Since LPG does not go bad I was planning on a 500 gallon tank in case of emergencies.

Depending on the outage and possibly size of disaster I will be able to either use sparingly or use for normal living conditions. I might see if the tank can be tied into the house as well in case there is a large disaster and propane is not easily accessible.

BajaParrothead - 9-16-2022 at 01:27 PM

What size do you suggest?

I have a 250 gallon tank for the range and water heater. I do not believe that it will be a reliable source to purpose both the generator and LPG needs for normal living at the house. Since LPG does not go bad I was planning on a 500 gallon tank in case of emergencies.

Depending on the outage and possibly size of disaster I will be able to either use sparingly or use for normal living conditions. I might see if the tank can be tied into the house as well in case there is a large disaster and propane is not easily accessible.
I ended up just purchasing a second tank dedicated for the generator.

JDCanuck - 9-16-2022 at 04:22 PM

500 gal with an existing 250 gal left in place sounds fine to me. More options that way than replacing with a 500 to 1000 gal.

bajatrailrider - 9-16-2022 at 06:13 PM

As an interesting addition to this discussion, dealers in California say that they can no longer sell Honda power products because of changes in California law.
Yes the nuts in CA have there problems all just buy out of state.

mtgoat666 - 9-16-2022 at 06:49 PM

Lots of gasoline powered portable generator for sale at my Home Depot! Honda? Don’t know, but does it matter? Many other brands available.

The “zero emissions” requirement for small engines like generators doesn’t go into effect until 2028 (some yard tools will have earlier van date). Generators their energ systems will evolve to meet the demand and the mandates.

I like that they are banning gasoline-powered mowers, leaf blowers, etc. Noisy, polluting beasts! I use battery powered yard tools, they work great!

The California mandates will force new technological development, the end result will be good; and healthier environment here and world-wide!

Why are you old fogeys complaining that in 6 years they won’t be able to buy ancient/obsolete technology? You complainers probably spent a lot of time moaning over typewriters being replaced by computers and landlines being replaced by mobile phones!

Go back to 1970s Los Angeles,… air regulations forced change in automobiles and smokestacks, and air is much cleaner today. Regulatory-driven change is often good!

Bob and Susan - 9-17-2022 at 04:22 AM

"Go back to 1970s Los Angeles,… air regulations forced change in automobiles and smokestacks, and air is much cleaner today. Regulatory-driven change is often good!"

not cleaner but clearer...

dont be fooled the chemicals are in the air poisoning you

the part here i dont understand is why get a back up generator that you wont have fuel for... propane will not be available during a disaster

and a 500 gallon tank? geeezzzz $1500usa to fill that thing and what if it leaks in the disaster?

just because the name is cummings doesnt mean its the engine in a semi that goes and goes...its a china clone piece of junk...

dont cheap out

JDCanuck - 9-17-2022 at 06:59 AM

You pay a whole lot more than we do for propane it seems. My problem with the smaller gas powered generators on gasoline is the reliability when you need them. Last time I needed one in a power failure, it refused to start, so I was tearing apart the carbs and cleaning them in the dark using a flashlight. Even with fuel stabilizer in the tank, gasoline will leave deposits on the jets and require more maintenance. We do a test run on our propane 13 kw Cummins remotely from Canada at least once every couple months, run it for 5 to 10 min and shut it down.
In addition, propane or natural gas are the cleaner fuels when it comes to pollution, and propane in a storage tank is the most reliable if you are in a remote location.
Like i said...everyone has different needs based on their location and power needs. Our 3kw gas generator we have here would only run our gas furnace and hot water tank to keep us heated, running the 2 fridges and freezer at the same time would require a significantly larger one, so we would have to swap out loads and stored food between them to get through any significant length of power disruption.

[Edited on 9-17-2022 by JDCanuck]

pacificobob - 9-17-2022 at 07:22 AM

Craigslist in the US has 5000 watt Briggs and Stratton powered gensets for sale under $200 often.
I have several at different locations.
The one I have in Mex is used about 20 hours a year during power outages.
Refrigerator,pumps and a few lights. I maintain them well and they are reliable.
Friends on solar in Mex use Honda eu3000 for backup during periods of cloudy weather.

RFClark - 9-17-2022 at 09:24 AM

B &S,

What do all your neighbors in Mexico cook with, gasoline, Diesel, or propane? You know those big blue and green cylinders or the white tanks. All of the above come in to Baja on the same road by truck.

[Edited on 9-17-2022 by RFClark]

Bob and Susan - 9-17-2022 at 10:52 AM

i use propane...the little 30kg tanks
6 for each hotwater heater
1 for the dryer
1 for the stove
1 for the back up stove
5 extra tanks in the garage

i use little tanks to limit loss if they leak
they cost 850 pesos exchange each

here..we are talking about running a backup generator on propane... the one discussed uses 2 gallons of propane an hour

in an emergency... once the propane is used there will not be replacement fuel until after the emergency...no refills

any generator needs to be "exercised" weekly to make sure it runs when needed...

the battery will go dead if not started

RFClark - 9-17-2022 at 11:23 AM

B&S,

The standard for testing backup power under load in the US is monthly. Most standby plants incorporate a battery charger, mine does. In addition to the large tank I have a adaptor hose that allows it to be refilled from any small tank.

The house we just sold had a large tank (300 gal) and two 90lb tanks on a separate regulator with auto change over. They were on different sides of the house and fed a common steel distribution system. There were also valves to isolate either source from the system.

Yes, I did have to use them a few times over 15 years so I was glad I installed them.

Having a plan B or even C is important when you live out in the country.

We also have a 4X4 that runs on propane and has a 35 gal tank! It’s “C”.

Bob and Susan - 9-17-2022 at 11:33 AM

"As a general rule, a generator should be exercised without a load between once a week and once a month. Testing with a load should be done on a monthly or quarterly basis. Your generator's exercise cycle may be automated by a timer, which ensures the generator is tested on a regular basis.Aug 6, 2020"

better have a good battery if you use the once a month timeframe

RFClark - 9-17-2022 at 11:55 AM

12V Li ion replacements are a wonderful thing. Our’s has one along with the charger. Bigger gen sets are not recommended to be run w/o load. I usually use an electric heater to load check the portable units. That’s because surging is one of the things you need to test non-inverter gen sets for.

Testing the transfer switch regularly is also important as they are usually more of a problem than the plants. Plants with radiators do need to be checked more often than air cooled plants. That’s why I like air cooled plants.

The most common standby plant problems are:

1) bad or contaminated fuel

2) dead or bad lead acid battery

3) radiator problems in water cooled plants

4) bad transfer switch

mjs - 9-17-2022 at 01:28 PM

It's a starting battery, same as your car. How long does your car battery last?

Size might vary but it's easy enough to replace a small battery with a larger one. The battery gets recharged when the generator is running during the exercise period. Not hard to add a small quality battery tender if you are really worried about it.

Bob and Susan - 9-17-2022 at 01:45 PM

this poster ONLY needs a "gas sipping" honda 2000

he has CFE service

mtgoat666 - 9-17-2022 at 01:49 PM

The purpose of the genny is for power outages for a few days at a time. I am connected to CFE and have been down here in the house for about a month now and have had 2 days w/o power (Kay). I heard that the area that I am in it is not uncommon for the power to go out maybe 4-6 days a year.

Easiest solution for rare power outages is keep supply of candles, and a small gen or house battery just for the refrigerator/freezer.
Probably cheaper to occasionally throw out thawed/spoiled food than to buy expensive large whole-house generator and fuel tanks, and associated maintenance.
How much cold food do you store?
Can you live without AC for a day or 2?

mtgoat666 - 9-17-2022 at 01:51 PM

this poster ONLY needs a "gas sipping" honda 2000

he has CFE service

Maybe he just needs candles and flashlights :light:

surabi - 9-17-2022 at 05:46 PM

In my experience, living on the mainland coast where the power goes out fairly often during the summer storms, food keeps fine in the fridge and freezer for up to 16 hours or so, as long as you don't open it much and are quick about it when you do.

And as far as lights go, there are some super bright solar light systems these days. This one, BioLite, is a nice simple little unit that I used when camping. It also has a USB port you can use if you need to charge your phone.

Markus10L - 9-17-2022 at 06:21 PM

Yeah,

- Connected to CFE
- Not going to die without AC
- EU 2000 probably can run a freezer and refrigerator or a combination of two can.

I lived in a van full time for 3 years and part time for a year, fifth wheels, and couch surfed my whole life.

I have roughed it all the way to this point of my life and now and am very fortunate to be able to have a house in an incredibly beautiful place. Worked on the road doing 84 hour work weeks to get to this point and am looking to not do that anymore.

I want to transition into a work from home part-time position so I can start college online. So the electricity and being comfortable while doing a job that sucks and going to school full time is pretty vital. The small gennys no doubt will work to save food and operate some portable fans (have plenty of candles). Likely I will bring down a genny from Cali come here soon as a Plan B until I can afford to make it a plan C.

I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts and personal solutions but after weighing it out, I am going to go with the 20KW aircooled cummins with an additional 500 gallon tank which can also serve as back up LPG for my 250 gallon tank that purposes the range and water heater.

surabi - 9-17-2022 at 08:39 PM

https://ca.bioliteenergy.com/products/solarhome-620-plus

This is the solar light system I mentioned, which doesn't feel like roughing it at all. However, having lived in roughing it situations I can certainly understand wanting life to be easier.

This lighting system comes with 2 hanging lights and a motion sensor light as well, which could come in handy if it's pitch dark out and you have to go out and fire up the generator.

[Edited on 9-18-2022 by surabi]

Hook - 9-18-2022 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
https://ca.bioliteenergy.com/products/solarhome-620-plus

This is the solar light system I mentioned, which doesn't feel like roughing it at all. However, having lived in roughing it situations I can certainly understand wanting life to be easier.

This lighting system comes with 2 hanging lights and a motion sensor light as well, which could come in handy if it's pitch dark out and you have to go out and fire up the generator.

[Edited on 9-18-2022 by surabi]

Interesting products.

I am always looking for a practical, single-light option for in the tent, while backpacking. The Luci Base Light is still it, for me. Collapsible, 360 lumens, three levels of intensity plus a flashing option AND it can charge a phone as it has USB in and out. But it is 10.5 oz, whereas this is less than 4 oz. And it is a directional light, whereas the Luci is omni directional. My directional light option is a headlamp powered by two AAA batts.

The big solar headlamp looks interesting. It better be, at 100 bucks for a headlamp.

Thanks for posting the link.

dtbushpilot - 9-18-2022 at 01:46 PM

Yeah,

- Connected to CFE
- EU 2000 probably can run a freezer and refrigerator or a combination of two can.

I lived in a van full time for 3 years and part time for a year, fifth wheels, and couch surfed my whole life.

I have roughed it all the way to this point of my life and now and am very fortunate to be able to have a house in an incredibly beautiful place. Worked on the road doing 84 hour work weeks to get to this point and am looking to not do that anymore.

I want to transition into a work from home part-time position so I can start college online. So the electricity and being comfortable while doing a job that sucks and going to school full time is pretty vital. The small gennys no doubt will work to save food and operate some portable fans (have plenty of candles). Likely I will bring down a genny from Cali come here soon as a Plan B until I can afford to make it a plan C.

I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts and personal solutions but after weighing it out, I am going to go with the 20KW aircooled cummins with an additional 500 gallon tank which can also serve as back up LPG for my 250 gallon tank that purposes the range and water heater.

You’re on the right track Marcus, you will love it. Ignore the naysayers about running out of propane, your generator will run for a long time on 500 gallons. When you know there is a weather event make sure your tanks are full, it’s not complicated. Your generator will be running at 1/4 capacity and sipping fuel. I did without creature comforts for much of my younger years, I don’t any more. There is something very satisfying about hearing the gen fire up and everything come back on 5 seconds after the power goes out.

RFClark - 9-18-2022 at 07:40 PM

Propane is around $3.00/gal. Having lights and AC when it’s dark all around you, priceless!

We were still running off grid after the big Malibu fire in the mid ‘70s we and the ranch over on Buzzard’s Peak were the only lights for miles for weeks!

We had a PE-95Q stationary gas plant. Google that!

surabi - 9-18-2022 at 07:47 PM

My neighbors, who all built after I did, got stuck with smart meters, which cut the electricity in brown-outs. They also have water pressure pumps directly from their well into the house . So in a brown-out, me with my old analog meter still has dim lights and water from my gravity-fed water system, while they are in the dark, scooping water out of the pool to flush the toilet.

surabi - 9-18-2022 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
My neighbors, who all built after I did, got stuck with smart meters, which cut the electricity in brown-outs.

Woah, is this in Baja? :O

No, on the mainland. Also, people I know who were forced into smart meters after having an analog, because, for instance, the old meter stopped functioning, now have higher bills than they did before, even though their personal habits and appliances haven't changed. Those smart meters are constantly flashing numbers, which I think sucks more electricity than the slow-turning wheel on the old meters. Otherwise there is no other explanation for the higher kwhs used.

Don Pisto - 9-18-2022 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
My neighbors, who all built after I did, got stuck with smart meters, which cut the electricity in brown-outs.

Woah, is this in Baja? :O

No, on the mainland. Also, people I know who were forced into smart meters after having an analog, because, for instance, the old meter stopped functioning, now have higher bills than they did before, even though their personal habits and appliances haven't changed. Those smart meters are constantly flashing numbers, which I think sucks more electricity than the slow-turning wheel on the old meters. Otherwise there is no other explanation for the higher kwhs used.

similar reports here in baja

Bob and Susan - 9-19-2022 at 05:22 AM

propane here in baja is not 3 bucks a gallon but $5.31 a gallon

a 500 gallon tank can ONLY be filled to 80% or 400 gallons

400 x 5.31 = $2125 JUST TO FILL THE TANK

honda 2000 looks better and better for a back up until the cfe turns on the power again

i can still buy a running car or motorcycle for 2k

SFandH - 9-19-2022 at 05:53 AM

last month I paid 2996 pesos for 244 liters, Zeta gas delivered, 300 liter tank.

or 2996/20 = 150 dollars for 244/3.785 = 64.5 gallons

150/64.5 = $2.33 per gallon

I'm reading the receipt now, it's in my hand.

Add a 100 peso tip.

[Edited on 9-19-2022 by SFandH]

monoloco - 9-19-2022 at 08:27 AM

Yeah,

- Connected to CFE

You’re on the right track Marcus, you will love it. Ignore the naysayers about running out of propane, your generator will run for a long time on 500 gallons. When you know there is a weather event make sure your tanks are full, it’s not complicated. Your generator will be running at 1/4 capacity and sipping fuel. I did without creature comforts for much of my younger years, I don’t any more. There is something very satisfying about hearing the gen fire up and everything come back on 5 seconds after the power goes out.
A diesel generator is much more efficient and trouble free. My 10Kw Kubota burns 1 -1.35 liters per hour and is rated to last 20,000 hours. It set me back $5500 brand new.

pacificobob - 9-19-2022 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

last month I paid 2996 pesos for 244 liters, Zeta gas delivered, 300 liter tank.

Add a 100 peso tip.

They give bob a special price

monoloco - 9-19-2022 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Add a 100 peso tip.

They give bob a special price
He must be getting the "premium" propane.

surabi - 9-19-2022 at 10:08 AM

I can't understand why Americans insist on converting everything to US measurements. Propane and gas are sold by the liter in Mexico (as they are in most countries in the world). Why not just say how much you paid per litre in pesos, instead of all the currency and measurement conversions?

JDCanuck - 9-20-2022 at 07:44 AM

Markus: We certainly have seen a huge amount of varied opinions posted here from a lot of different perspectives. Hopefully after you decide how to go and have it up and running you will come back and let us know how the installation went. Might help future plans for others.
We are fully off grid in an area of inaccessible roads after major storms, built a family home with multiple bedrooms, so we knew from the beginning we would have extra expenses to be reliably self sufficient and budgeted for that.

Markus10L - 9-20-2022 at 08:26 AM

Markus: We certainly have seen a huge amount of varied opinions posted here from a lot of different perspectives. Hopefully after you decide how to go and have it up and running you will come back and let us know how the installation went. Might help future plans for others.
We are fully off grid in an area of inaccessible roads after major storms, built a family home with multiple bedrooms, so we knew from the beginning we would have extra expenses to be reliably self sufficient and budgeted for that.

Will do! It may be a while before it happens (finances and order time) but I will certainly post some pics and experience.

pacificobob - 9-21-2022 at 01:35 PM

I can't understand why Americans insist on converting everything to US measurements. Propane and gas are sold by the liter in Mexico (as they are in most countries in the world). Why not just say how much you paid per litre in pesos, instead of all the currency and measurement conversions?

American exceptionilism and centered thinking
Same reason many gringos have little to no Spanish skills

[Edited on 9-21-2022 by pacificobob]

[Edited on 9-21-2022 by pacificobob]