BajaNomad

Any recent reports of damaged, or repaired roads?

AKgringo - 9-15-2022 at 07:02 AM

The "Kay" thread is getting a bit much to wade through to find road reports, so I am asking here about the road between Bahia De Los Angeles and El Arco. Anyone drive it lately, or have a first hand report from a reliable source?

Rough, but passable is all right with me. Any other interesting road sections to beware of? Please don't send me to any Facebook groups that require signing up to see them.

David K - 9-15-2022 at 07:43 AM

I have been posting reports and photos on road repairs on my VivaBaja group page. I haven't seen anything on the drive between L.A. Bay and El Arco, yet. If I do, I will let you know!

AKgringo - 9-15-2022 at 11:54 AM

David, some of us would prefer not to increase our digital footprint, but for those followers of your group that don't mind, why not ask them to post their info and pictures here?

I will be driving the peninsula next week, and they will be able to see my road reports (assuming I find something new to add to others)

[Edited on 9-15-2022 by AKgringo]

charliemanson - 9-15-2022 at 11:55 AM

Not able to pass to GN as yet. We have a friend who is scheduled to work in GN for CFE as soon as CFE can pass. So Nada at this moment with no schedule on opening as far as he knows.

charliemanson - 9-15-2022 at 12:41 PM

Sorry, above report was wrong as our CFE friend made it trough last night.

David K - 9-15-2022 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
David, some of us would prefer not to increase our digital footprint, but for those followers of your group that don't mind, why not ask them to post their info and pictures here?

I will be driving the peninsula next week, and they will be able to see my road reports (assuming I find something new to add to others)

[Edited on 9-15-2022 by AKgringo]

Hmmm... well, almost everyone in Baja is on Facebook or has a Facebook group. Asking them to post twice for the handful of Nomads who won't look at Facebook might be a stretch... but I will ask them.

A large % are Spanish speakers, too and Nomad is an English language site. Facebook has an automatic translator plus Facebook allows photo posting, no matter the size of the image, as it automatically makes it fit on Facebook. Everything regarding the hurricane I share on my VivaBaja group is either photos or videos. So, almost none of them will appear here without work.

For the record, I prefer a forum like Nomad over Facebook. More people are on Facebook, so I am on both to gather and share the most Baja subjects that I find interesting.

Have you tried looking at my Facebook groups, without joining Facebook?
The links to both groups (Baja Missions and VivaBaja) are in my signature below every post.

gnukid - 9-15-2022 at 02:09 PM

You can visit FB Vivabaja without an FB act since its public and you can search it too... https://web.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja?

David K - 9-15-2022 at 02:22 PM

Thank you for that, gnu!
I did post the request to also share Baja road conditions here on Nomad, too.

Of course, they do have to become Nomads, and figure how to add photos or videos.

YouTube videos are easy here... Facebook hosted videos are not.. unless Doug can provide a trick method to do so! (Key work is TRICK, ;) )

Cabo to Tecate thru San Felipe

coconuts - 9-17-2022 at 09:28 AM

Just rolled in from my most recent run. I would post a very detailed report but then I get a bunch of hate mail from goat and others but since this site was the first one I every used to use I thought I'd give a little love back.

First a job well done to the Mexican governments and military it's open and Hurricane Kay hit Baja HARD. perhaps got more of the peninsula then Odile did in 2016.

Starting before Loreto to San Felipe be on your game as there is a lot of chit out there parts of the road washed out going down to suddenly 1 and 1/2 lanes with as the road crews do marked only with a couple of orange donkey dicks (long orange cylinders). Rocks are still falling down from the road cuts and cliffs. It's totally makeable but all you who drive the Baja record setters out there give the Mexicans some time to fix their road as it is F'ed up. It will be a few months before it is the Baja "pristine".

Surfers: the Seven sisters could be a mess but I did see a Lobster fisherman stopped at the lower entrance thinking about heading out. Don't know if he went.

coconuts - 9-17-2022 at 09:33 AM

Sorry did not see you only wanted LA Bay/El Arco reports. Here goes the hate mail.

David K - 9-17-2022 at 09:37 AM

No hate at all (I hope)... so a BIG THANK YOU to coconuts!!
It is these instant reports that make Nomad such a great resource for the Baja traveler! :bounce::light::biggrin:

SFandH - 9-17-2022 at 09:51 AM

Is the road construction in the Maneadero area still a problem?

AKgringo - 9-17-2022 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  
Sorry did not see you only wanted LA Bay/El Arco reports. Here goes the hate mail.

No hate from me....You are posting exactly what I was hoping for, current conditions. I hope to drive the road I asked about this next week, so I asked about it specifically.

If I don't hear anything by the time I get there, I will check it out and report back. Thanks for your input!

coconuts - 9-17-2022 at 11:45 AM

AkGringo,

looking down the road to LA Bay it looked real muddy, so be ready for mud that hopefully has changed to dry dirt. The gasolina venders were at the Hwy 1/LA Bay Junction.

Also You are mucho correcto on hotels taking reservation when there isn't a room, they did it to our friend that was traveling north behind us last night.

South of Gonzaga Bay

coconuts - 9-17-2022 at 11:52 AM

Taking yesterday afternoon this is passable. BEWARE there is the same type of damage under the roads.

[Edited on 9-17-2022 by coconuts]

IMG-20220917-WA0001.jpg - 243kB

got to make my sweetheart happy, no unfortunately not that way, got chit to fix around the house. I will check later if anyone has specific questions.

Adios/Aloha Oe

[Edited on 9-17-2022 by coconuts]

Ateo - 9-17-2022 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
You can visit FB Vivabaja without an FB act since its public and you can search it too... https://web.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja?

It says I must log in to view that link.

I made a decision to close my Facebook account down after realizing that company is an immoral piece of crap.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

SFandH - 9-17-2022 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
https://web.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja?[/rquote]

Puzzling; what exactly is it telling you?

Out of morbid curiosity, I just checked and I'm able to view it without logging in to Facebook.

Not that I'd want to. Facebook is too... manipulative for my tastes.
Besides, the user interface absolutely sucks. I don't understand why people find it so seductive. :?:

Do you have an account? If so, perhaps a cookie is enabling access.

AKgringo - 9-17-2022 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

I made a decision to close my Facebook account down after realizing that company is an immoral piece of crap.

I was able to view that link, and I have never set up even a temporary account (if there is such a thing).

Ateo - 9-17-2022 at 05:10 PM

Maybe a cookie is allowing some people access.....I used to have an account and it seems some pages used to allow me to view even after I closed my account. But that link, as well as many I've clicked on over the last few months take me to the login page and says YOU MUST LOG IN TO CONTINUE.

Oh well........

Don Pisto - 9-17-2022 at 05:54 PM

you don't need to be a member to view...but if you're not down with FB don't bother:D
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BajaRoads

Ateo - 9-17-2022 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
you don't need to be a member to view...but if you're not down with FB don't bother:D
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BajaRoads

Ahhh, now there's a page I can't see (for a change)! LOL
That must mean it is a 'Talk Baja' page?
I am a member of the growing 'Banned from Talk Baja' group! LOL

This one I CAN see! Must be public.

Ateo - 9-18-2022 at 08:50 AM

One last post to clarify what I was saying regarding FB links..........from my laptop these "Baja Roads" and "VivaBaja" links go to "YOU MUST LOG IN" page.

From my iPhone they both open to view the FB page.

Ok, sorry to hijack. Apologies to those looking for road report.

Que tengo un buen dia.

msteve1014 - 9-18-2022 at 02:28 PM

I have a facebook account because it seems to be the fastest way to get info. about things like this in BCS, And some attractive women seem to want to be my friend. hahaha. My house is in La Bocana, internet still on and off.

SFandH - 9-18-2022 at 03:31 PM

FB is also good if you have specific interests. For example, I like classic runabouts and 50s/60s American cars. I've joined several groups of like-minded people.

The Baja groups are OK if something unusual is happening, like a storm, otherwise, they're all newbie posts about FMMs, safety, and what border crossing to use.

RFClark - 9-18-2022 at 07:31 PM

Mexicali to San Felipe Hwy 5 Report.

The report is nothing to report! The road is fine. There’s one small undermine around KM 24 south of the airport turnoff.

We passed 7 NB Roadrunner trucks around SF so the road south to Constitution is open again.

Judging by the runoff probably 3 -4” of rain south of SF, the wind blew the rain past the gage.

Ocotillos are as green as I have ever seen them, first flowers are coming out. Noseems are flying wingtip to wingtip!

Wish you all were here! (To help feed them!)

TMW - 9-19-2022 at 02:09 PM

Discover Baja just posted that Hwy 1 and 5 are open with some detours.

David K - 9-19-2022 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Discover Baja just posted that Hwy 1 and 5 are open with some detours.

After suffering damage from Tropical Storm Kay, Highway Mexico 1 is now fully open to traffic and passable to all vehicles all the way down to Cabo. Highway Mexico 5 is also open and passable. Please note that there are still detours as well as some hazards such as mud and rocks on the road in places. Please drive slowly and only during daylight hours. Gas is readily available all along the peninsula.

Tropical Storm Madeline is approaching this week but is on path to veer off into the Pacific and not make landfall on the peninsula. There will still be some rain in Baja on Tuesday and Wednesday so please take caution when driving in areas that have already sustained damage from the last storm.

Our Road Conditions page has the latest information as well as more specific updates...

Road Conditions:

UPDATED September 20, 2022

TROPICAL STORM KAY UPDATE

Highway Mexico 1 is now open and passable all the way down the peninsula but there are many washouts and detours along the way. There are also areas with mud and rocks along the side of the road. Some hazards are marked, but many are not. Take it slow, expect delays, and (as always), only drive during in the daylight.

Highway Mexico 5 is also open and passable.

There is a large detour north of Guerrero Negro where Highway 1 washed out. Travelers are currently experiencing about a 15 minute wait to cross.
The north road to San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) from San Ignacio is currently NOT passable. The southern road from Insurgentes is passable with a high clearance vehicle.

Gas is readily available all along the peninsula. Some stations are currently not able to accept credit cards, so having cash to pay for gas is a good idea.

AKgringo - 9-19-2022 at 07:44 PM

That's the kind of info I am looking for! I will be heading south tomorrow, and still considering the route south from Bahia de Los Angeles.

Bahia de Los Angeles

AKgringo - 9-22-2022 at 08:09 PM

I drove down to the bay today, and that road has had some major damage! Some sections appear to have been buried, and others were washed away completely, including a section of the bridge across the arroyo at the bottom of the canyon.

If you come this way, use caution anywhere near the edge of the pavement, because there has been severe erosion of some of the shoulders to the point of being undercut.

Detours have been made around the missing pavement, but there does not appear to be any real repairs being done yet, and those repairs will not be easy.

I took a left turn at the washed-out bridge to reach a friend's house (where I am now), so I have not seen what has happened in town or on the road headed north along the bay. I will check that out tomorrow, and hopefully I will be able to make a pass through to San Francisquito and El Alamo.

[Edited on 9-23-2022 by AKgringo]

David K - 9-23-2022 at 06:39 AM

Thanks AK... and I bet you mean El Arco, not El Alamo? Looking forward to your findings!

TLBaja79 has posted a road report this (FRI) morning, and sent me photos to share, here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=98002

TLBaja79 - 9-23-2022 at 07:01 PM

El Arco to hwy 1 is ok, rough but ok, careful on the sides of the road, sneaky axle breakers

Past El Arco towards Santa Gertrudis is not passable as of 9/22. Not sure about the road towards San Francisquito.

Good Luck

David K - 9-23-2022 at 08:11 PM

To be more specific, the road was closed at Rancho Miraflores, about halfway between El Arco and Mission Santa Gertrudis... what I read earlier.

Russ - 9-24-2022 at 07:55 AM

Pt. Chivato
We've had a few updates on the repair progress on the two roads and water line leading to our homes. With some very generous donations and help from a few people the repairs continue on the road and the water line. The road is now passable and most have water service now.

I drove the road from BOLA to Sanfrancisquito, then back out to El Arco 9/23

AKgringo - 9-24-2022 at 11:02 AM

This will be a short version, to be updated when I get to a WIFI site that is not like a sauna, filled with flies. This weather agrees with them!

I drove both roads in my Isuzu Trooper, which is stock except for oversize tires (265/75/16). It has 4x4 and a limited slip or posi traction type rear end.

There are some excellent sections that did not get wiped out, but they all come to an abrupt end sooner or later, and nothing has been repaired or marked!

I chose to drive the entire length in 2wd just to see if that was an option, and it worked for me, but just barely. I would not drive any heavy camper rigs even with 4x4, because some of the washouts and self designed detours would take a lot of work to get any thing larger than my Trooper through.

The same advice goes double for towing even a utility trailer. There is lots of loose sand, a bit of rock crawling, and at the time I drove it there was tll a bit of mud that seems to be drying fairly quickly.

The road down to San Francisquito is actually pretty good, but the steep grade between Bahia San Raphael and the junction with the El Alamo road is a challenge.

Coming in from El Arco toward the bay, the stopping point is the section passing by Piedra Blanca. Not only did the road wash out, but the high ground it was sitting on is gone! There was a couple of miles of driving in deep sand down the arroyo, and a questionable detour just east of the ranch that looks like it was just macheted through the brush and no attempt to make it a road.

For what it is worth, the dirt road between El Arco and Vizcaino was very soft and slightly overgrown, but fairly smooth and passable in 2wd.

More later, but I don't know when.

Previewing this post, I see that I forgot to turn off the Bold type after one line. Ignore it, I' not doing this over!

One more thing

AKgringo - 9-24-2022 at 11:06 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the drive, It is what I look for on my trips down here!

If you are thinking of a place to do a 4x4 run, the time is now, and the scenery is spectacular!

Any questions, or interest in the road I just drove?

AKgringo - 9-26-2022 at 10:23 AM

I am finally where I have a reliable internet connection and could give some more of my impression of the route, if there is any interest.

David K - 9-26-2022 at 03:04 PM

This will be a short version, to be updated when I get to a WIFI site that is not like a sauna, filled with flies. This weather agrees with them!

I drove both roads in my Isuzu Trooper, which is stock except for oversize tires (265/75/16). It has 4x4 and a limited slip or posi traction type rear end.

There are some excellent sections that did not get wiped out, but they all come to an abrupt end sooner or later, and nothing has been repaired or marked!

I chose to drive the entire length in 2wd just to see if that was an option, and it worked for me, but just barely. I would not drive any heavy camper rigs even with 4x4, because some of the washouts and self designed detours would take a lot of work to get any thing larger than my Trooper through.

The same advice goes double for towing even a utility trailer. There is lots of loose sand, a bit of rock crawling, and at the time I drove it there was tll a bit of mud that seems to be drying fairly quickly.

The road down to San Francisquito is actually pretty good, but the steep grade between Bahia San Raphael and the junction with the El Alamo road is a challenge.

El Arco, yes?
Quote:

Coming in from El Arco toward the bay, the stopping point is the section passing by Piedra Blanca. Not only did the road wash out, but the high ground it was sitting on is gone! There was a couple of miles of driving in deep sand down the arroyo, and a questionable detour just east of the ranch that looks like it was just macheted through the brush and no attempt to make it a road.

For what it is worth, the dirt road between El Arco and Vizcaino was very soft and slightly overgrown, but fairly smooth and passable in 2wd.

Do you meant the shortcut road from near Pierdra Blanca to near Vizcaino, via Guillermo Prieto? Avoids going the long way around through El Arco. However, after the storm, I wonder how the north end of it did, as it crosses an arroyo and climbs a hill??

Quote:
More later, but I don't know when.

Previewing this post, I see that I forgot to turn off the Bold type after one line. Ignore it, I' not doing this over!

Thanks for such a well-traveled, field work report!

For a visual aid of this area:

AKgringo - 9-26-2022 at 05:14 PM

David, the road I took toward Vizcaino is not on your map. It is from right in the center of the town, and heads just about due south toward Guillermo Prieto.

I did not try the route that connects near Piedra Blanca because it was a challenge last year before the storm!

[Edited on 9-27-2022 by AKgringo]

David K - 9-26-2022 at 05:23 PM

David, the road I took toward Vizcaino is not on your map. It is from right in the center of the town, and heads just about due south toward Guillermo Prieto.

I did not try the route that connects near Piedra Blanca because it was a challenge last year before the storm!

Oh, okay... I know the road... That was the original road to La Paz before the highway... I traveled it as a kid in 1966.

It is on the AAA maps, too. Here is the 1974 map:

AKgringo - 9-26-2022 at 05:39 PM

I don't have the new Almanac in front of me right now, but I think that is marked as part of the "Baja Divide" route. I gotta say, I would hate to be peddling a bicycle through all the soft sand I encountered!

PaulW - 9-27-2022 at 10:03 AM

Road south from El Arco. See the Divide Trail from Avenza image