BajaNomad

Beyond Just Shell Collecting?

Jeronimo - 4-6-2005 at 11:17 PM

My wife and daughter are so excited to see so many shells on some of our trips:?::?: they tend to collect upwards of 20 pounds (a medium sized box full). Most recently on our trip to Gonzaga Bay last spring break. I am curious about the rules for returning to the US with such a volume of shells. Do I need to store them deeply inside all our luggage and sweat the crossing? :?::?::?::(

David K - 4-6-2005 at 11:28 PM

Yes, you guessed correctly... but maybe we all are guilty of bringing a little bit of Baja back home with us (rocks and shells)! Maybe you have more than a little bit?

Just don't collect historic or prehistoric artifacts, like arrowheads or fossils... That would be bad... Take photos and then leave them for others to discover.

The U.S. customs doesn't care, and there is no Mexican customs when you leave Mexico... so, not sure who would 'catch you'?

Pappy Jon - 4-8-2005 at 11:58 AM

The only parts I would be concerned about would be anything that belongs to sea turtles, or ocean mammals. Those, I believe, are covered under CITES (Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species). I doubt if anybody at the borders would care, but you just never know. Crossing borders with parts of endangered species is a real bad no-no.

Don Alley - 4-8-2005 at 04:36 PM

From Mexico's fishing regulations:

"It is prohibited to collect shells, corals, sea anenomes and snails, or to disturb the original ecosystem environment."

So, well, whatever that means, uh, as far as collecting sea shells. Does that mean it's against the law? Illegal possesion of a clamshell? ;D

Don

Bruce R Leech - 4-8-2005 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
From Mexico's fishing regulations:

"It is prohibited to collect shells, corals, sea anenomes and snails, or to disturb the original ecosystem environment."

So, well, whatever that means, uh, as far as collecting sea shells. Does that mean it's against the law? Illegal possesion of a clamshell? ;D

Don

it means it is illegal to take, collect, to have i possession, or even to disturb them. seems pretty clear

quilty

Sharksbaja - 4-8-2005 at 07:05 PM

If you feel guilty about having those shells, I be happy to take them off your hands.......:):coolup::cool: