BajaNomad

Rooster Question

BajaMama - 9-17-2022 at 06:06 AM

Little roosters come to shore in the mornings in October in Punta Chivato. I wanted to do a little catch and release with a fly rod. Any suggestions on what flies / colors to cast at them? I'll go barbless so I don't damage them if I get lucky.

Don Jorge - 9-17-2022 at 09:21 AM

As always in fly fishing, "match the hatch".

In this case match the bait fish and mullet is the forage of choice for roosters.

A simple search on the web will give lots of opinions of the best "mullet like" flies.

Good luck!

caj13 - 9-17-2022 at 06:45 PM

yeah Mullet and sardines imitations seem to be the favored choices. and they are very proud of em - like 10-15 bucks each, they would be pretty easy to tie yourself - if you have that setup!

BajaMama - 9-18-2022 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info -my hubby is the only one who ties flies, but it has been years, he'll start again when he (finally) retires next year. In the meantime, thank you both for your suggestions, I'll go to our local fly shop and get sardine & mullet flies. I may take a spey rod and do some swinging, too.

BajaMama - 11-11-2022 at 07:38 AM

The "sardines" worked great! Super fun chasing them when they would scream into shore after bait fish.

BajaBruno - 11-26-2022 at 10:26 PM

Good to hear that you had some fun. Even the smaller ones are good fighters and great fun to catch.

Russ - 11-27-2022 at 08:58 AM

:light:... They like a fast moving lure/bait