BajaNomad

Bay of LA hotel recommendation?

willy_the_fist - 9-23-2022 at 07:15 AM

Hey there...

We're headed down in late October on motorbikes and will be spending a few days in Bay of LA. We're taking it easy this time and hopefully spending time doing fun stuff off the bikes.

We've historically stated at the Hotel Villa Bahia but are up for someplace new.

Being on the beach is key.
Having onsite food/booze is nice, but not a requirement.

Thanks!

JZ - 9-23-2022 at 07:45 AM

Costa del Sol is the best. Has a small restaurant and bar. Food is very good.

[Edited on 9-23-2022 by JZ]

willy_the_fist - 9-23-2022 at 08:00 AM

Thanks JZ. Any other rec's that are on the beach?

JZ - 9-23-2022 at 08:05 AM

My other recommendation is to rent a panga. Go see the islands. There is a very cool bay/beach on Isla la Ventana. You can hike to the top of the island and see the whole bay. Then take the boat to Rincon. Beautiful white sand beach with a ship wreck.

mtgoat666 - 9-23-2022 at 08:07 AM

Los Vientos is good hotel. On the beach.

willy_the_fist - 9-23-2022 at 11:55 AM

Great call. Thanks. Rent our own or charter one ?

Renting sounds awesome. Thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
My other recommendation is to rent a panga. Go see the islands. There is a very cool bay/beach on Isla la Ventana. You can hike to the top of the island and see the whole bay. Then take the boat to Rincon. Beautiful white sand beach with a ship wreck.

JZ - 9-23-2022 at 12:13 PM

Charter. Just your party and the captain. You want a captain, makes life easier and they know where to go. You can sit back and have a few Pacificos.

If you want to do a big adventure you can charter a super panga and have them take you 50 miles North to Puerto Refugio on Isla Ángel de la Guarda.

Video I shot on a trip I took my two boys to see it.

advrider - 9-23-2022 at 07:44 PM

What JZ said x2.

honda tom - 9-24-2022 at 11:20 AM

Camp Archelon on the beach has 3 or 4 houses for nightly rent. close to town, but no food or bar. we stay here on moto trips sleeping outside on his cots... but the homes are nice and reasonably priced. he can arrange your panga

basautter - 9-25-2022 at 10:25 AM

I always stay at Guillermo's when in BOLA. Big rooms, good food, and right on the beach. Also very close to a boat ramp if needed. Have fun!

[Edited on 9-25-2022 by basautter]

David K - 9-25-2022 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
I always stay at Guillermo's when in BOLA. Big rooms, good food, and right on the beach. Also very close to a boat ramp if needed. Have fun!

[Edited on 9-25-2022 by basautter]

The view from Guillermo's:

TMW - 9-25-2022 at 11:47 AM

I've stayed at Guillermo's and Costa del Sol, both very good.

Bajazly - 9-25-2022 at 03:32 PM

Dagetts is right on the water and can offer fishing too. No onsite food or drink but a pretty nice place close to town.

Skipjack Joe - 9-25-2022 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
Camp Archelon on the beach has 3 or 4 houses for nightly rent. close to town, but no food or bar. we stay here on moto trips sleeping outside on his cots... but the homes are nice and reasonably priced. he can arrange your panga

Archelon now has a restaurant as well. Don't know if they serve alcohol but I believe they do.

Ateo - 9-25-2022 at 10:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Charter. Just your party and the captain. You want a captain, makes life easier and they know where to go. You can sit back and have a few Pacificos.

If you want to do a big adventure you can charter a super panga and have them take you 50 miles North to Puerto Refugio on Isla Ángel de la Guarda.

Video I shot on a trip I took my two boys to see it.

THAT was a killer video. Thanks for sharing.

David K - 10-20-2022 at 05:09 PM

That's not nice, lencho!

David K - 10-20-2022 at 05:40 PM

Isn't everything on the Internet for real??

:lol::lol::lol:

Salsa - 10-22-2022 at 12:12 PM

No one has mentioned the Dias's.

Are they still there?

My first trip in the early 70's we stayed there (and a few other times).

I enjoyed talking to Mama and poppa Dias.

Don

CASA DIAZ

David K - 10-22-2022 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Salsa  
No one has mentioned the Dias's.

Are they still there?

My first trip in the early 70's we stayed there (and a few other times).

I enjoyed talking to Mama and poppa Dias.

Don

Stayed there in 1967 with my folks (I was almost 10) and again in 2017 while doing my road guide research. See the Trip #1 report. It was $20 for the night, beach view, hot water, soft bed... What else was needed?
Here is my Trip Report (on Tacoma World, but the same as posted on Nomad): https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2017-baja-expedition-1-e...

View from my room's front porch:

John Harper - 10-22-2022 at 01:24 PM

Flew into there in 1973 with my dad, probably stayed in those same rooms. I recall we had turtle one night at the restaurant.

John

David K - 10-22-2022 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Flew into there in 1973 with my dad, probably stayed in those same rooms. I recall we had turtle one night at the restaurant.

John

Cruz ('Mama') Diaz was famous for her turtle steak dinners! Pilots would deviate their heading if word got out she was preparing turtle!

For a long time, Cruz was very unhappy to be living so far from civization. This is how I first remember her, from 1967... Later, she accepted her situation and was happy and even was okay with being called 'Mama', something she was insulted by previously.

Here is a post from 2011 with a nice, 2-part article from Mr. Hilton: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=55667

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here is Sra. Diaz (she did not like being called 'mama') with Erle Stanley Gardner in Feb. of 1966.

She never smiled back then, my parents even commented on her sour disposition in '67. We would later learn she resented being dragged from the city to the wilderness by her husband... In later years, she relented to being called 'Mama Diaz' (it is hard to have a papa and not a mama, and Antero enjoyed being called 'Papa') and she even smiled!

After Papa (Antero) passed on, she moved to her daughter's home in Escondido, CA for the remainder of her life.

[Edited on 10-23-2022 by David K]