BajaNomad

Mulegé to San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) mountain road

David K - 9-24-2022 at 07:54 AM

The road west from Mulegé to La Ballena via San Miguel report on Facebook 9-24-22:

NZdo Aicrag writes:

"still there is no way to go through that road through the mountains, to go from Mulege to San Juanico"

Enrique2012 - 9-24-2022 at 09:55 AM

I made that trip successfully in March of this year. I went from San Juanico to Mulege, but... I did it on a dirt bike.

David K - 9-24-2022 at 10:04 AM

Yes, it was easily passable before the hurricane of September 7-8.

HeyMulegeScott - 9-24-2022 at 12:21 PM

Looks like they are working on the roads out to the ranches but I'm sure there was a lot of damage.

Even in the valley area of Mulege we had some roads obliterated. One of my neighbors who helped with the repair work said some of the old timers said the damage was worse than some of the big hurricanes. Glad we sold our RV. No more big rig driving in Baja for me.

This is the connection to "Ice House" road out to Rays/Hacienda Habana. It took 40 dump truck loads to get access. Privately paid for since the government doesn't maintain this road.

SFandH - 9-24-2022 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  

This is the connection to "Ice House" road out to Rays/Hacienda Habana. It took 40 dump truck loads to get access. Privately paid for since the government doesn't maintain this road.

I know some folks that have houses out in the valley. Has access been cut off since the storm?

TMW - 9-24-2022 at 06:51 PM

Sounds like fun to try it.

HeyMulegeScott - 9-25-2022 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  

I know some folks that have houses out in the valley. Has access been cut off since the storm?

I think it's accessible now. According to a friend - bumpy but doable there are a few places only one car can pass, due to washouts.

Our contractor sent me these pictures of the road in front of the Hacienda after the hurricane. Power has since been restored but according to Casa Hogar orphanage their little farm down the road still doesn't have power and water.