BajaNomad

Rod Davis missing in Loreto-Juncalito area as of Oct 25th

BajaNomad - 10-29-2022 at 02:38 PM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/posts/6364181510263...
Quote:

Rod Davis & his beloved pup Rio (brown & white springer spaniel) are MISSING somewhere in the Lareto area on the Baja.. Last seen on Tuesday, October 25th, 2022 at 9am at Juncalito Beach (the name of campground he lives at for the winters). He was headed towards Loreto to find a part for his broken solar panel. His friends expected him home in a few hours- it’s been days now.

He left in his truck (a goldish, older model Toyota Tundra w/ a matching topper & Colorado plates).

This is what we know… he spends winters at Juncalita with a crew of retirees. He got back about a week ago & was settling in for the winter. His family is in the states & worried sick- fearing the worst. He’s a recent cancer survivor & was so excited to get back to his winter camp. He could be anywhere- there has literally been no sightings at all. Please keep your eyes open for any sightings of Rod, his truck or his dog Rio. His dog may be running loose. He is extremely friendly & will come to his name.

Please reach out with any info. A missing persons report has been filed with local authorities.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid0245p...
Quote:

🔊 COMUNICADO DE BÚSQUEDA 🔊
📞📱 Cualquier información comunicarse al siguiente número telefónico: 612 167 9946. Protección Civil de Loreto Bcs

🔊 RELEASE OF SEARCH 🔊
📞📱 Any information contact the following phone number: 612 167 9946. Protección Civil de Loreto Bcs

313010955_442115014718685_8059120425976324088_n.jpg - 71kB 312826895_10228928398864153_5596998179171374585_n.jpg - 34kB 313187069_10228928623429767_365223599317406406_n.jpg - 125kB 313208591_3275558236000566_1491298259743649833_n.jpg - 53kB 312096953_10228928554428042_5402645181682231472_n.jpg - 58kB

[Edited on 10-29-2022 by BajaNomad]

JZ - 10-29-2022 at 03:09 PM

That is scary. Where is Juncalito?

David K - 10-29-2022 at 03:22 PM

South of Loreto, just north of Puerto Escondido.

[Edited on 10-29-2022 by David K]

4x4abc - 10-30-2022 at 11:00 AM

driving a Tacoma in Baja seems to be unhealthy

chippy - 10-30-2022 at 12:06 PM

Well he might be ok? He was in an older model Tundra as pictured.

ligui - 10-30-2022 at 12:06 PM

I've meet him on the beach there before.

I've asked my friends who live near by if they have heard anything.

When they reply I'll post what they know.

Such a safe area. Not much bad stuff there especially day time.

David K - 10-30-2022 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
driving a Tacoma in Baja seems to be unhealthy

The photo of his truck is a Tundra.

John Harper - 10-30-2022 at 05:44 PM

It appears he did not have far to travel from Juncalito to paved road, and he was headed to town for parts, no reason to stray from the highway. Lets hope all is okay.

John

RFClark - 10-30-2022 at 09:27 PM

My wife told me she saw something on one of the other baja sites stating that he (Rod Davis) was in the hospital in Loreto. Since I couldn’t find the article I don’t know if that is true. I assume someone would have checked when he was reported missing.

BajaNomad - 10-30-2022 at 11:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
My wife told me she saw something on one of the other baja sites stating that he (Rod Davis) was in the hospital in Loreto. Since I couldn’t find the article I don’t know if that is true. I assume someone would have checked when he was reported missing.

The first FB post referenced above has these comments posted tonight:

From OP @7:58pm(PT): "We’re all hoping and praying he’s ok…"

Another person noted @8:39pm(PT): "They are still missing as of the 30th October."

bjacobs - 10-31-2022 at 11:04 AM

Hi RF Clarke - I am Rod's niece and hoping you can share additional information. Do you know what day this sighting was and do you have the name and phone number for the hospital in Loreto. We are in the US and have tried a few numbers but they haven't gone through. Thank you!!

[Edited on 10-31-2022 by bjacobs]

Hospital de la Comunidad le Loreto

John M - 10-31-2022 at 11:43 AM

From the US

011 52 613 134 0430

A Spanish speaker will really help

John M

bjacobs - 10-31-2022 at 11:59 AM

Thank you so much. My brother speaks Spanish and will call Hospital de la Comunidad le Loreto with that number.

We will also try the Protección Civil. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

bjacobs, check your U2U

Howard - 10-31-2022 at 02:58 PM

airon - 11-1-2022 at 09:33 AM

:barf: :?: PRAYERS TO FAMILY

[Edited on 11-5-2022 by BajaNomad]

ligui - 11-4-2022 at 06:21 AM

I spoke with locals in the area and they are talking about it. But have no idea . Everyone is on the lookout for any sigh.

Hopefully some info will come out.

I'm heading to the area in a couple of weeks

Please post any info if you have any.

Thanks

HeyMulegeScott - 11-4-2022 at 08:51 AM

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/eagle-county-local-rodney-dav...

David K - 11-4-2022 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  

This is just so very sad news, reading these details...
It seems like 'they' are preying on seniors with pickup trucks... as they did with poor, harmeless Mary Ann Humfreville. I am guessing this guy was not out in the dark, making this a daylight event?

RFClark - 11-4-2022 at 09:46 AM

Anyone know if his boat is also missing?

BajaParrothead - 11-4-2022 at 10:13 AM

His credit cards are being used in Cde Constitucion.

JZ - 11-4-2022 at 11:57 AM

They better find the pricks or Loreto is going to see a drop in tourism.

LancairDriver - 11-4-2022 at 02:04 PM

Yet another disappearance that is becoming way to common. I believe another previous post here someone suggested starting a reward fund to bring these pos to Mexican Justice. Curious to see if any fund exists, or is in the works. I would be pleased to donate. This seems to be the only way to move things along in these cases.

JZ - 11-4-2022 at 02:05 PM

I'd definitely contribute to a reward fund.

woody with a view - 11-4-2022 at 03:32 PM

Justice comes in many forms. We will gladly contribute to the fund for the Regulators!

LancairDriver - 11-4-2022 at 03:47 PM

That would work also.👍

RFClark - 11-4-2022 at 06:56 PM

I’ll contribute but it should a fund run by Mexicans not foreigners.

LancairDriver - 11-4-2022 at 08:26 PM

LancairDriver - 11-4-2022 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

Agree, but properly done it is a fair amount of work on a volunteer basis. Ideally, a possible solution would be to individually pledge a certain amount of money and use social media to publicize the reward with pertinent information such as was posted here on this case. With a hit PayPal your pledge upon a valid arrest. Without some action taken to put some pressure on these ruthless perpetrators this hijacking and murderous trend will only get worse with more people vanishing. We never seem to learn of any arrests after these crimes.

[Edited on 11-5-2022 by LancairDriver]

[Edited on 11-5-2022 by LancairDriver]

RFClark - 11-4-2022 at 10:54 PM

LD,

This is not just a Mexican problem. Police inaction and a lack of witnesses is a major problem in the US as well. Payments should be made based on information and results. The identity of the informants should be protected absolutely. If you can get the bad guys to “grass” each other out I'm good with that too.

The “devil” here will be in the details!

BajaBlanca - 11-5-2022 at 09:33 AM

My gosh, where is he? This is so so so scary and sad.

BajaParrothead - 11-9-2022 at 09:28 AM

I just read that a friend of Rod's is reporting that his body was located inside his vehicle outside of Loreto. Foul play is apparently evident and no sign of his dog. :no:

RFClark - 11-9-2022 at 09:42 AM

It always seemed to me that if you were going to be robbed in transit it would be when you were stopped along the road for a “rest stop”! That being my theory I always try to stop where there’s a long stretch of road visible and carry my emergency transmitter with me,

Using several vehicles and 3 or more people to rob travelers seems more complicated then just hanging out and watching for a pullover. The locals would know the locations of all the usual stoping places.

[Edited on 11-9-2022 by RFClark]

HeyMulegeScott - 11-9-2022 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
I just read that a friend of Rod's is reporting that his body was located inside his vehicle outside of Loreto. Foul play is apparently evident and no sign of his dog. :no:

Yep. https://www.thebajaponyexpress.com/wp/2022/11/08/4465-110922...

4x4abc - 11-9-2022 at 01:56 PM

It always seemed to me that if you were going to be robbed in transit it would be when you were stopped along the road for a “rest stop”! That being my theory I always try to stop where there’s a long stretch of road visible and carry my emergency transmitter with me,

Using several vehicles and 3 or more people to rob travelers seems more complicated then just hanging out and watching for a pullover. The locals would know the locations of all the usual stoping places.

[Edited on 11-9-2022 by RFClark]

remember the three vehicles taken at gunpoint around Gonzaga?
the perps love it when you bring more than one cool truck

wilderone - 11-9-2022 at 02:44 PM

That's heartbreaking. RIP

JDCanuck - 11-9-2022 at 02:47 PM

Does not seem to be a great idea to have an attractive looking vehicle that begs to be taken from you until the recovery/enforcement issue is resolved.

BajaNomad - 11-9-2022 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

Yep. https://www.thebajaponyexpress.com/wp/2022/11/08/4465-110922...

"His family is waiting on test to be done to be certain- which is why I haven’t updated anyone on here as of yet… it’s not confirmed."

mtgoat666 - 11-9-2022 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Does not seem to be a great idea to have an attractive looking vehicle that begs to be taken from you until the recovery/enforcement issue is resolved.

So, we surrender our freedom of choice of automobiles to fear? Not sure you noticed but automobiles are the chief status symbol for most Americans.

Well, maybe for some Americans. Not everybody is shallow or misdirected.
Was the victim driving a flashy vehicle?
According to the story so far, it may be that he was kidnapped for his atm card and credit card, and not for his vehicle.

For tracking stolen vehicles/kidnapped people, perhaps consider an apple AirTag…

JDCanuck - 11-9-2022 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

So, we surrender our freedom of choice of automobiles to fear? Not sure you noticed but automobiles are the chief status symbol for most Americans.

Yes, in a situation where the authorities have seemingly lost control of the safety of the environment, we do whatever we can to minimize ourselves as targets. Or...just find a safer area to live in. Previously we had thought the border areas were the high risk, and once south of them you were pretty much home free. San Felipe, Loreto, Constitution, La Paz are new areas of concern we hadn't previously seen as high risk.

wilderone - 11-10-2022 at 08:21 AM

I think started and ended at Juncalito. Ended specifically with a credit card charge at Puerto Escondido. Maybe a drug runner who needed fuel for his boat to go back to mainland. or wherever. Reported that bank account was drained. Many many years ago I went to Juncalito looking for a spot to camp and thought it was sketchy then and didn't stay.

RFClark - 11-10-2022 at 09:03 AM

Anyone ever wonder why you can’t have a 2nd PIN on your debit card that will allow you to withdraw money but declare an emergency?

AKgringo - 11-10-2022 at 03:44 PM

Anyone ever wonder why you can’t have a 2nd PIN on your debit card that will allow you to withdraw money but declare an emergency?

You don't need to enter a pin if the debit card can be run as a credit card, just a signature will do.

JZ - 11-10-2022 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I think started and ended at Juncalito. Ended specifically with a credit card charge at Puerto Escondido. Maybe a drug runner who needed fuel for his boat to go back to mainland. or wherever. Reported that bank account was drained. Many many years ago I went to Juncalito looking for a spot to camp and thought it was sketchy then and didn't stay.

So they used the CC to buy gas at Escondido?

Mexico has a lot of cameras. Use of a CC has to be on camera somewhere.

wilderone - 11-10-2022 at 07:33 PM

My understanding is from a Colorado news article; and a couple posts on TalkB. "Huber" is Rod's ex-wife.

"Huber said that Davis’ bank records show that someone began withdrawing money from his account through cash withdrawals and gas purchases starting in the afternoon of Oct. 25. By the following day, his account was drained and in overdraft. The final charges on Davis’ debit card that Huber said they believe to be his took place that morning at the marina near Juncalito Beach where he keeps his boat.
“We don’t believe he ever got to the place to fix his solar panels, and by that afternoon somebody had started withdrawing money from his bank account,” Huber said."

“Please keep your eyes open around the city of Constitution for his truck. The majority of card charges were there.”
[and]
“The authorities have identified suspects & are continuing to investigate.”

Tommy A - 11-11-2022 at 09:41 PM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/283268275089917/permalink/55...

BajaParrothead - 11-11-2022 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tommy A  
https://www.facebook.com/groups/283268275089917/permalink/55...

Hopefully justice will be served. It's always a roll of the dice!

wilderone - 11-12-2022 at 08:08 AM

Him and maybe the rest of the gang.

"Lisandro “N,” 23, who had allegedly been “picked up” by armed men, was put before a Judge of Control in Loreto as likely responsible for the abduction and murder of a senior American, to sorrows last October 25 at the beach El Juncal of that community.
Sources from the Prosecutor General's Office of State Justice (PGJE), reported that he was also detained on the basis of arrest warrants to two men and a woman, who formed a gang dedicated to the theft of businesses and vehicles in Ciudad Constituci On, Insurgent City, Loreto and Santa Rosalia.
In addition, there are indications of the involvement of Lisandro "N", the son of a civil servant in Comondú, in a shooting murder perpetrated in Ciudad Insurgentes.
Their victim in Loreto was identified as Rodney "N," a 73-year-old North American who was camping at El Juncalito Beach, with two dogs and his gold Toyota Pickup, Tundra, towing a camper."

mtgoat666 - 11-12-2022 at 08:13 AM

LA CAPTURA DE BANDA DELICTIVA PODRÍA ACLARAR 2 HOMICIDIOS Y OTROS DELITOS
.=Intentaron confundir a la opinión pública denunciando "levantones" y desaparición

Lisandro "N", de 23 años, supuestamente "levantado" por hombres armados en el poblado de Zaragoza y Yishel Carolina "N", supuestamente "desaparecida" tras salir de las oficinas del Ministerio Público de Ciudad Constitución, forman parte de la banda capturada por la Agencia Estatal de Investigación Criminal (AEIC), en base a órdenes de aprehensión por secuestro agravado.

Sin embargo junto con Esteban "N" y Fernando "N", son implicados en la privación ilegal de la libertad y homicidio del turista Norteamericano Rodney Davis, de 73 años de edad, el pasado 25 de Octubre cuando acompaba en la playa El Juncalito, con dos de sus perros y su Pickup Toyota, Tundra, color dorado con el que remolcaba un camper.

A Lisandro "N", hijo de una funcionaria pública en Comondú, también se le relacióna con un crimen a balazos en Ciudad Insurgentes, de donde es originaria la mujer identificada como Yishel Carolina "N".

Además la Procuraduría General de Justicia del Estado (PGJE), quien los ubico como objetivos prioritarios para el esclarecimiento de una serie de ilícitos, los relaciona con varias carpetas de investigación por robo a comercios y de vehículos en Ciudad Constitución, Ciudad Insurgentes, Loreto y Santa Rosalía.

Hasta el momento y tras dar cumplimiento a órdenes de aprehensión, los cuatro se encuentran a disposición de un Juez de Control.

And….

ANTE EL JUEZ PELIGROSA BANDA DE SECUESTRADORES Y HOMICIDAS
.=Operaban en Municipios del Norte de BCS

Objetivos prioritarios, 3 hombres y una mujer, imputados por secuestro fueron ubicados, localizados y aprehendidos eran requeridos por la autoridad judicial

Cuatro personas, tres del sexo masculino y una femenina, identificados como Esteban “N”, Yishel Carolina “N”, Lisandro “N”, Fernando “N” y imputados por el delito de secuestro agravado, fueron aprehendidos por elementos de la Agencia Estatal de Investigación Criminal (AEIC) de la Procuraduría General de Justicia del Estado (PGJE) de Baja California Sur, en los municipios de La Paz, Loreto y Comondú, el jueves 10 de noviembre y dejados a disposición de la autoridad judicial.

Con la denuncia de la parte ofendida, los agentes de investigación criminal comenzaron sus labores y obtuvieron distintos elementos de prueba, que llevaron a conocer la identidad de los probables responsables del delito de secuestro agravado, por lo que el Juez de Control determinó que existió lo necesario para librar las órdenes de aprehensión en su contra, mismas que se cumplimentaron.

Las respectivas órdenes de aprehensión se cumplimentaron el jueves 10 de noviembre en la ciudad de Loreto por elementos de la Unidad de Mandamientos Judiciales de la PGJE.

(Más información)

Tacayo - 11-12-2022 at 08:25 AM

My condolences go out to the family of Ron. What a horrible thing to have to deal with.
Good to see that the perp was picked up by the police. I don't know if it's possible to find out but it would also be good to know how this terrible crime went down so we can better protect ourselves and avoid the same outcome.

BooJumMan - 11-13-2022 at 07:31 AM

Wow this is tragic news... I was in Loreto on the 25th as well.

As far as the car comments go with regards to driving them into Baja... Driving back north last weekend, it was non stop nice clean rigs heading south with Canada, Oregon, Washington, Utah and California plates. I mean, hundreds of nice cars heading south. Most I've ever seen by far. I just assume he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

AKgringo - 11-13-2022 at 09:28 AM

The blatant disregard for the consequences of their actions (such as getting caught) makes me wonder if they were high on meth. I wonder if we will ever know the answer to that one?

mtgoat666 - 11-13-2022 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The blatant disregard for the consequences of their actions (such as getting caught) makes me wonder if they were high on meth. I wonder if we will ever know the answer to that one?

Express kidnappings are a thing in Mexico. Psychopathy is a thing everywhere. Is it the meth or the psychopathy that leads people to murder? I think it’s the psychopathy.

BajaBlanca - 11-13-2022 at 10:46 AM

This is the saddest news.

Marty Mateo - 2-7-2023 at 07:42 PM

Has there been any further information on this?

JZ - 2-7-2023 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marty Mateo  
Has there been any further information on this?

I talked to a local about it last month and he gave me the scoop.

Not as random as one might think.

advrider - 2-7-2023 at 08:39 PM

Anything that you can share JZ. Don't know if meth was involved or not but it turns people into crazed killers, detached from emotions and feelings.