BajaNomad

Fish ID help/ confirmation?

Cyberian - 12-12-2022 at 12:45 PM

Caught this fishing with Pancho Barracuda a few weeks ago.

Pancho got very excited and in his exuberance, was talking so quickly that we could barely get the gist of what he was saying. From what I can gather he called it a "male phase" Cabrilla and something about how rare it was.

Is it really a rare fish or is it a case of rarely caught because if it's in breeding mode, it's too preoccupied to think of food?

fish red.jpg - 210kB

Don Pisto - 12-12-2022 at 01:05 PM

leopard grouper when they turn "golden"? beautiful!

David K - 12-12-2022 at 01:31 PM

Golden (Leopard) Grouper: https://mexfish.com/fish/lepgrp/lepgrp.htm

Remember to check Gene Kira's MexFish ID page with questions on Fish ID.

pauldavidmena - 12-12-2022 at 02:13 PM

I just bookmarked the MexFish website - it's especially valuable for the Mexican nickname to English equivalent conversion.

David K - 12-12-2022 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I just bookmarked the MexFish website - it's especially valuable for the Mexican nickname to English equivalent conversion.

It is just one of many useful or interesting links you can find in the miscl. links section at www.VivaBaja.com :light:

freediverbrian - 12-12-2022 at 10:48 PM

Being raised in So Cal with the golden Garibaldi being illegal I never took one.I know it's the same species as a normal colored cabrilla but I let it go. Too good looking.

Cyberian - 12-13-2022 at 07:08 AM

In my defense, Pancho was telling us about it as he took it of the hook and tossed it in the fish cooler.

Have now seen raging battles over them on spearfishing boards and tales of keeping one being bad luck. I could sense no fear of luck on Pancho's part but he already knew how sick I am and may have figured "What could it do to this guy?"

I may or may not tell the story of the desperate guide on our first fishing run who gaffed and killed a 30# rooster as I yelled at him not to

David K - 12-13-2022 at 08:47 AM

Thanks for your honesty and for sharing.

Don't let the cyber bullies here chase you away by scolding you for past atrocities!
Welcome to Nomad!! :light::cool: