BajaNomad

Road to Agua Verde in Subaru?

dusty.rambler - 1-9-2023 at 02:51 PM

Hello Nomads,

I've been a long time lurker, but first post. Taking the family for a two week tour of Baja in my wife's 2020 Subaru Forester (AWD, good new AT tires). I would usually take my 4x4 Tacoma, but the boss (wife) thinks the Subaru will be more comfortable.

I understand that there was some heavy storms last fall and I'm wondering if anyone has been down to Agua Verde lately and can tell me if clearance would be an issue in my vehicle? I'm an experienced off road driver, but AWD is not 4x4 and there are no low gears. I also want to visit the hot spring at San Cosme, but am not opposed to walking the final stretch.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Welcome to the forum!

AKgringo - 1-9-2023 at 03:00 PM

Your Subaru should be fine on that road. I did not drive down there when I passed by the turn-off in October, but I ate at the restaurant at the intersection.

I asked about the road conditions, and they basically said "No problemo" at that time. Most of the traffic using that road are two wheel drive.

I really like that road!

David K - 1-9-2023 at 04:00 PM

The Subaru will likely be fine, but the 4x4 Tacoma is the #1 Baja vehicle of choice for many Nomads! Have a portable air pump for refilling tire air after deflating to cross sand.. or fix puncture (get a tire plug kit). I have owned three 4x4 Subarus (before they went to AWD) and three Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Off Road TRD trucks. Like other Nomads, I am on Tacoma World forums, too.

Hook - 1-9-2023 at 07:29 PM

I really think you can make the Tacoma as comfortable as the Forester if you air down and get cushions for the seats (generally, Walmart has inexpensive seat cushions and a good selection). Toyota seats kinda suck. Subaru SUV seats might be more comfortable; I don't know.

I assume the bed of the Tacoma will be loaded with gear for two weeks. That will also improve the rather bouncy ride, as well as airing down. Maybe she is used to the ride of a no-load Tacoma with full inflation. It can be brutal with that moderately short wheel base, compared to a full-sized 4X4.

And there is the issue of.....well, how do I put this delicately......if she is an amply endowed woman, then the jouncing of a quick returning suspension system can be uncomfortable. Maybe she needs to think about a cab-level, above-waist suspension adjustment, too?

There is a reason sports bras exist.

[Edited on 1-10-2023 by Hook]

JZ - 1-9-2023 at 09:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I really think you can make the Tacoma as comfortable as the Forester if you air down and get cushions for the seats (generally, Walmart has inexpensive seat cushions and a good selection). Toyota seats kinda suck. Subaru SUV seats might be more comfortable; I don't know.

I assume the bed of the Tacoma will be loaded with gear for two weeks. That will also improve the rather bouncy ride, as well as airing down. Maybe she is used to the ride of a no-load Tacoma with full inflation. It can be brutal with that moderately short wheel base, compared to a full-sized 4X4.

And there is the issue of.....well, how do I put this delicately......if she is an amply endowed woman, then the jouncing of a quick returning suspension system can be uncomfortable. Maybe she needs to think about a cab-level, above-waist suspension adjustment, too?

Lol. Best post of the early new year.

David K - 1-10-2023 at 10:53 AM

Driving slower will also improve the ride... but as a rule, when off the highway, on graded dirt or unimproved roads, drop the pressure at least 1/3 of the street pressure. In sand, drop to 1/2 or less.

My 4-door 4x4 Tacoma's sweet spot, with my Hankook DynaPro ATM tires, is 34 psi street; 22 psi dirt; 17 psi sand.

dusty.rambler - 1-10-2023 at 12:44 PM

The "comfort" issue is that it is the access cab, not full extended cab. That puts my 8 year old daughter cramped in the back and my wife has to scoot the front seat way up to make space. It's really a space issue.

But thanks for all the feedback.... I would be in the Tacoma in a heartbeat if I were in charge... :lol:

David K - 1-10-2023 at 01:57 PM

I went to Baja with both my kids in the 2001 Xtra cab I got first. They would take turns sitting in the back, drop down seat. When they reached age 15 & 16.5, I was able to buy my first double cab in 2005. Before my new lady joined our family, only one of my teens had to sit in back.
We did three (one week) Baja trips a year, Spring Break, Summer, and Christmas vacations. Also, 3-day weekends to Shell Island. Good times and they both loved those camping trips.

TMW - 1-10-2023 at 03:09 PM

Take the Subaru and let us know how it went. Have fun and stay safe.

Mulege Canuck - 1-10-2023 at 05:55 PM

I do enjoy a good Tacoma beat down……

Mind you I own one that has 420000 km.

Mulege Canuck - 1-10-2023 at 05:58 PM

I do enjoy a good Tacoma beat down……

Mind you I own one that has 420000 km.

shari - 1-10-2023 at 06:13 PM

there may be some clearance issues unless your Subaru is higher than mine....especially if it's loaded. I wont take mine over the coast road to Abreojos from Asuncion and I think parts of the Agua Verde road especially the grade coming out...are rougher than the coast road. Just my 2 centavos.

Hook - 1-10-2023 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dusty.rambler  

The "comfort" issue is that it is the access cab, not full extended cab. That puts my 8 year old daughter cramped in the back and my wife has to scoot the front seat way up to make space. It's really a space issue.

But thanks for all the feedback.... I would be in the Tacoma in a heartbeat if I were in charge... :lol:

Oh wow, one of the early Tacomas. Yep, got to keep the peace. Take the Forester.......which is a pretty capable SUV, if it has AWD. Decent clearance on the Foresters, I've heard. The Outbacks have good clearance, too.

mtgoat666 - 1-10-2023 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dusty.rambler  

You should have bought the crew cab! You can’t easily raise kids w/o a full size backseat. 2-door cars are for teenage drivers, once you become an adult you need a 4-door car.
The only long trips I have done in a Toyota Tacoma were in a regular cab 1st gen Tacoma,… a miserable car to drive - that cured me from wanting a Tacoma! We had a couple company cars that were later model crew cab tacomas,… they were kind of gutless, and after a while they seemed to be very tinny and rattle a lot.

bajarich - 1-10-2023 at 08:13 PM

Make sure your brakes are in good shape. I always use 4 low in the steep spots, both going down and up the hill. The last time I was down there I saw a VW Jetta on the beach, but the road was good then. This falls storms could have torn it up.

Take a mule ride at San Cosme. Alejo could use some business.

I went in to AV once after a hurricane (I forgot which one) but I asked at the restrauant on the highway how the road was. There were two ladies working there and one said "Bien" and the othe said "Mas o Menos". There was an elderly man "Vicente" who said it was "Bien" and could he have a ride with me to the village. I had a Dodge Dakota with a 4Wheel camper on it and was pulling a 14' aluminum boat and trailer.
Going down the hill was very slow and there were lots of washouts, Hail Mary corner was all undercut and really scary. When we got to San Cosme, all of the vados had been washed out all the way to the Village and it took us 4-1/2 hours. It was dark by the time we got there.

That was a long time ago and the road is paved for the first 10 km and the vados have all been rebuilt since then, but a good chubasco could rip a lot of that out again. You will probably meet people coming out that can tell you the conditions.

JZ - 1-10-2023 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
there may be some clearance issues unless your Subaru is higher than mine....especially if it's loaded. I wont take mine over the coast road to Abreojos from Asuncion and I think parts of the Agua Verde road especially the grade coming out...are rougher than the coast road. Just my 2 centavos.

Zero problems for the Subi on the road to Agua Verde.

geoffff - 1-10-2023 at 10:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
on graded dirt or unimproved roads, drop the pressure at least 1/3 of the street pressure.

Just to be clear, David means drop by ⅓ so they are down to ⅔ pressure.

Hook - 1-11-2023 at 06:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
on graded dirt or unimproved roads, drop the pressure at least 1/3 of the street pressure.

Just to be clear, David means drop by ⅓ so they are down to ⅔ pressure.

On the vehicles I've owned, that would be enough to make for a smoother ride, but it would not get me out of soft sand. I find 12-15 psi is what it takes. I've even gone this low on LRE tires that are at 80 when fully inflated.

dusty.rambler - 1-11-2023 at 10:06 AM

My Tacoma is a 2006 with about 200k miles. I bought it waaaay before I ever thought I would be a parent. I didn't get the 4 door because I wanted a 6ft bed, and as I like to off-road, I didn't want to drive a limo. (Anyone know Steel Pass in Death Valley? Access cab is almost too long for that route).

The first thing I did when she got the Forester was insist on a full size spare.

I also have an air compressor, tire patch kit (big red), tire slime (extreme emergency only...) battery jump kit, full size shovel, and a pulaski.

[Edited on 1-11-2023 by dusty.rambler]

MulegeAL - 1-13-2023 at 08:48 AM

The road into the beach at the north end has a washout along the cliff. Two mex pickups parked there, drivers walked down to the beach. Can get by with a moto.

Update, a 4wd vw van just got through ok, so is passable.

[Edited on 1-13-2023 by MulegeAL]

Retiredbrain - 1-23-2023 at 11:32 AM

I drove this road February 2022 in my '87 VW Vanagon 2wd with high clearance. The steep descent down to the beach was a little rough but I met a 2wd beater, low clearance, overloaded, Toyota pickup coming up the hill. I would have no problem driving this in my Subaru Outback given the road condition and last February.
Hurricane damage and other recent weather damage causing washouts is always the wildcard when driving these roads. Clearly from observation a low clearance 2wd vehicle can drive this road when conditions are good.

JZ - 1-23-2023 at 11:50 AM

The road has a lot of traffic. So there would have to be a very recent weather event for there to be an issue. They fix the road quickly.

dusty.rambler - 1-25-2023 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Retiredbrain  
I drove this road February 2022 in my '87 VW Vanagon 2wd with high clearance. The steep descent down to the beach was a little rough but I met a 2wd beater, low clearance, overloaded, Toyota pickup coming up the hill. I would have no problem driving this in my Subaru Outback given the road condition and last February.
Hurricane damage and other recent weather damage causing washouts is always the wildcard when driving these roads. Clearly from observation a low clearance 2wd vehicle can drive this road when conditions are good.

I also have an 87' VW Vanagon (Weekender Wolfsberg series). I have taken it to Guadalupe Canyon twice but didn't want to risk the inevitable breakdown on such a long trip this year. Great clearance on this vehicle, but it lacks in power. Btw, a wise man once told me.... "Do you know what VW really stands for? Vacation Wrecker!"

dusty.rambler - 1-27-2023 at 04:11 PM

I've asked my wife if I can swap the VW engine with the Subaru and she refuses....

But in all seriousness.... "The Bus Lab" which is the local shop that specializes in VW vans will do this for me for $20K, which I do not really want to spend. I have neither the mechanical skills, tools or time to do this my self. I fix easy things on it like thermostat, cap and rotor, etc.... but when it needed new coolant pipes to run between radiator in front and engine in back, I though about doing it myself until I learned that I had to drop the gas tank and that seemed out of my league. But if I ever do the Subaru conversion, I might as well also do the Syncro conversion (4x4) for a total of $40K. Its cheaper than a new 4x4 camper van!