BajaNomad

Wood for my pizza oven

The Poopers - 1-27-2023 at 04:36 PM

Well we just arrived and are taking up residence here. I had my builder put in a wood fired oven. Now I need firewood, help folks anyone know a supplier in La Paz or near by that will deliver. Jonesing for my homemade pizza now.

RFClark - 1-27-2023 at 06:06 PM

Hi,

I’d ask one of the Pizza places where they get their wood from. They all have big piles. When you find out please post the information here.

pacificobob - 1-28-2023 at 09:06 AM

We use mesquite in the pizza oven. I get it from rancheros. If i see a ranch truck in town with a load i talk with them, or just drive up in the sierras and ask around.. I have huge wood piles of other types of wood but that gets used in the fireplace.... nothing quite like cooking with mesquite.

AKgringo - 1-28-2023 at 09:40 AM

I don't know if Eucalyptus trees grow in Baja California, but it is an excellent wood for cooking!

pacificobob - 1-28-2023 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I don't know if Eucalyptus trees grow in Baja California, but it is an excellent wood for cooking!

A number of countries use eucalyptus almost exclusively for cooking. Grows fast burns hot. The peace corps did extensive plantings of eucalyptus for that reason.

wilderone - 1-29-2023 at 11:01 AM

A better alternative:

Wood pellets are perfect for pizza ovens. Pellets light easily, burn efficiently, are a great heat source that can reach high temperatures, produce very little ash waste and provide a light smoke to give that stone baked oven taste. To make the best pizza, though, you’ll need the best wood pellets. Wood pellets are a great fuel source and enhance the taste of your pizza. For example, you can make your pizza have a smokey flavor or a sweet flavor depending on your personal taste. Common tree materials used for wood pellets include wood chips, tree bark, and oak wood.