BajaNomad

Steve McKay - 55Steve - passed away

BajaGringo - 1-27-2023 at 07:58 PM

Don't put too much off for another day, as life gives us no promise of tomorrow...

It is with great sadness I share with you that I learned earlier today, via his wife Debbie, that Steve passed on after being admitted to the ER last night. If you ever knew Steve, you would know what a special guy and a good friend he was as well as how much fun he was to be around. He was always willing to help out and did a lot of work supporting the cause of abandoned animals on both sides of the border - he had a HUGE heart!

I will never forget a very special dinner Cristina and I shared together with Steve, his brother Cliff, Ross Zoerhof (Rossman), Juan Cook and his wife Maricela, Daniel Powell and Shari Bondi. It was nearly 5 years ago to this day and 3 of them from this photo are no longer with us - Cliff, Ross and now Steve.

QEPD amigo, I'll see you on the other side.

From left to right:
Ross, Steve, me in the back, Cristina, Shari in front, Maricela and Cliff. Juan took the photo and Daniel would arrive late, just a short while later.

Dinner with good friends.jpg - 140kB

[Edited on 1-28-2023 by BajaGringo]

shari - 1-27-2023 at 10:04 PM

Oh my goodness...another good one has crossed over leaving us all behind. Steve will be missed but not forgotten. Cliff will be happy to have him up there by his side. DEP amigo.

David K - 1-28-2023 at 06:29 AM

Steve was always kind and a joy to chat with online. I believe we met at Camp Gecko, twenty years ago... Vaya Con Dios, amigo!

BajaBlanca - 1-28-2023 at 06:59 AM

Boy, always a shocker to hear of somone passing on that is around our age. Les and Stever worked at the same company in San Diego. RIP

Hook - 1-28-2023 at 07:55 AM

Rossman passed on? The guy from BA?

BajaGringo - 1-28-2023 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Rossman passed on? The guy from BA?

Yes, in the early morning hours of last November 29th. That was another very tough one for me - Ross and I were discussing plans to get the gang in the photo above all back together to remember Cliff who had already passed away.

boe4fun - 1-28-2023 at 10:36 AM

I never got to cross paths with Steve, but spent more than a few hours fishing with “The Rossman”. This post reminded me of my own mortality as I’m getting pretty long in the tooth myself. I hope they’re both hooking up with a big one way up yonder.

Don Jorge - 1-28-2023 at 10:45 AM

That's a bummer. Never met Steve but sure looks familiar. RIP

Ross I chatted up about fishing, of course, a few times while passing through BA. That dude was fishy, a veritable saltwater, crusty fisherman indeed.

His dedication to saltwater fishing was unparalleled. Launching the tin boat, retrieving it in the wind, fishing every chance he had, he attained legendary status in my Baja fishermen world.

Sorry to hear he passed on. RIP