BajaNomad

The newest Slow Baja Podcast: Camino-Real-Baja (backpackers/ mappers)

David K - 2-6-2023 at 04:27 PM

Hear the amazing couple who have been locating the original El Camino Real routes the past 22 years. The routes are shown on the Benchmark Baja California Atlas and on Google Earth, linked on their website www.caminorealbaja.com

This is such a joy to hear them after several years of email exchanges! Thanks Michael and Slow Baja!

https://anchor.fm/slow-baja/episodes/Backpacking-The-El-Cami...

Fatboy - 2-7-2023 at 09:14 PM

It was nice hearing their story, I enjoyed the podcast.

It was nice of them to give a shout to a couple of nomads.... DavidK and 4x4abc.

They have done, and continue to do, a lot of adventures around the world. They are quite a couple!

If I had done a QUARTER of what they have done I would feel that my life was very well lived.

David K - 2-8-2023 at 05:07 PM

Glad you saw it, FB... I know you had consults with them.
When you 'vanished' both Kevin and I were brainstorming where your body might be (kidding)!

advrider - 2-8-2023 at 06:43 PM

Thanks for posting, I'll check it out.

geoffff - 2-9-2023 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
And over 22 years of doing this, we have never, ever seen another hiker or backpacker. And I would imagine the number of people we've seen, which are the vaqueros, probably can be counted on two hands, and that's 22 years worth of work.

wow!

Quote:
I was by myself, and I had enough water to get me up northward on the trail to Yuba.

And it was in the afternoon, I started hiking as fast as I could.

I got quite a ways north, and I was running out of daylight.

It was getting quite dark, but the place I was at was very, very rocky.

There were just a couple of places that had sand, kind of like a platform, big enough for me to set up my little tent.

However, when I got to one of those, there was a big horned sheep laying there dead, killed by a mountain lion.

You can see the whole battle that took place in the sand.

You can see what had happened.

I was getting nervous, because there were very few places I could sleep that night in this general area, but I did not really want to sleep right next to a big horned sheep that had only been partially eaten.

I was able to find maybe 30 feet away another one that I could set up my tent, but that was a long night thinking about that big horned sheep just 30 feet away and the mountain lion that is probably really near watching what was going on.

I was by myself.