BajaNomad

Four US Citizens Kidnapped by armed men in Matamoros

rccali - 3-6-2023 at 11:36 AM

Not Baja but along the Mexican border with Texas. Still relevant IMO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/03/06/americans-ki...

mtgoat666 - 3-6-2023 at 04:06 PM

oops!

(CNN) Four US citizens were assaulted and kidnapped by gunmen in northeastern Mexico on Friday in a case of mistaken identity, a US official with knowledge of the investigation told CNN.

The Americans are believed to have been targeted by mistake and were not the intended victims, the official said. Investigators believe a Mexican cartel likely mistook them for Haitian drug smugglers, the official said, adding investigators have not identified any concerning criminal history on the part of the Americans.

The Americans had traveled to the border city of Matamoros for medical procedures, the official said,...

gnukid - 3-6-2023 at 04:46 PM

It's cool that the old Goat has inside knowledge about these cartels and that they were not the Haitian drug smugglers kidnapped but were another group of some friendlies? How Goat got to be so interconnected in cartels we'll never know, but it's great he is here posting accurate updates about cartels, identities, drug smugglers and kidnappers with his inside knowledge as a cartel member/informant.

[Edited on 3-6-2023 by gnukid]

mtgoat666 - 3-6-2023 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
It's cool that the old Goat has inside knowledge about these cartels and that they were not the Haitian drug smugglers kidnapped but were another group of some friendlies? How Goat got to be so interconnected in cartels we'll never know, but it's great he is here posting accurate updates about cartels, identities, drug smugglers and kidnappers with his inside knowledge as a cartel member/informant.

[Edited on 3-6-2023 by gnukid]

Oldkid,
What you talking about? Are you posting after doing bong hits? I just posted a news blurb from CNN. My knowledge of this event is no more than the news provided!

Don Pisto - 3-6-2023 at 06:30 PM

the video out there doesn't look too good:(

BajaBlanca - 3-6-2023 at 10:58 PM

This is absolutely awful.

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2023 at 07:00 AM

‘Mistakes” like this attack on medical tourists are what happens when Mexico tolerates cartels. Cartels won’t be stomped out until communities and politicians say no.

When Mexico allows cartels to operate with impunity, this is what happens.
The fault lies with citizens and government that allow cartels to run over Mexico.

Ateo - 3-7-2023 at 08:31 AM

Sounds like they have all been found. 2 dead. 2 alive.

LancairDriver - 3-7-2023 at 01:54 PM

Looks like we don’t have enough wars going presently so the usual suspects are putting Mexico on the agenda. Im sure the Mexican citizens will appreciate a foreign military invasion from the north.

Graham says he will introduce bill to ‘set the stage’ for US to use military force in Mexico
https://l.smartnews.com/YFg1N/yxoEFV

David K - 3-7-2023 at 02:39 PM

These four people, driving halfway across the United States (from North or South Carolina), to save money for a tummy tuck or get a perscrition filled cheaper, doesn't make much sense to me... How many hotel nights, round-trip, plus the cost of gasoline, meals, etc?

Lot's of photos and video now:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=four%20americans%20mis...

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2023 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Graham says he will introduce bill to ‘set the stage’ for US to use military force in Mexico
https://l.smartnews.com/YFg1N/yxoEFV

Here is a quote from news today

Quote:

​Sen. Lindsey Graham said Monday he will introduce a bill laying the groundwork ​for President Biden to use US military force against Mexican drug cartels.

“I’m going to introduce legislation,... to make certain Mexican drug cartels foreign terrorist organizations under US law and set the stage to use military force if necessary to protect America from being poisoned by things coming out of Mexico,”

Graham said he agrees with former Attorney General Bill Barr, who wrote in a Wall Street Journal op-ed last week that the US should designate the cartels as terrorist groups and confront them the same way past administrations confronted ISIS in the Middle East.

So, it seems Barr and Graham are saying they want to use cruise missiles to fight cartels on mexican soil.
Coming soon: air strikes on high value targets in tijuana and rosarito!

surabi - 3-7-2023 at 07:19 PM

Of course it's awful what happened to these folks, but perhaps if some didn't have their faces covered with piercings and visible tattoos all over, they wouldn't have attracted undue attention.

Lee - 3-7-2023 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Of course it's awful what happened to these folks, but perhaps if some didn't have their faces covered with piercings and visible tattoos all over, they wouldn't have attracted undue attention.

Blame the victims. Typical BS from you.

Don Pisto - 3-7-2023 at 08:18 PM

I hope someone needy and deserving is $50K richer!

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2023 at 08:34 PM

You sound like a religious zealot right winger, blaming the victims.

Don Pisto - 3-7-2023 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
I hope someone needy and deserving is $50K richer!

My bet is if those perps actually were cartel lackeys, they won't be around long enough to get caught; the jefes aren't going to be at all happy with a screw-up that brings down the kind of heat this is generating.

well so far they got one in custody and SOMEBODY led em to the shed holding the four.....that should be good for FBI 50K

surabi - 3-7-2023 at 10:43 PM

I wasn't blaming the victims and perhaps they were just were unlucky enough to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. But we all know that when you travel outside of your normal habitat, it's wise to do as much research as possible about where you are going to be travelling, take stock of your surroundings and not draw too much attention to yourself.

The woman's mother was worried about her going and apparently she told her everything would be fine, not to worry. While that is usually the case, Tamaulipas is one of the more dangerous places to be, and I would bet those folks didn't bother reading up about it.

[Edited on 3-8-2023 by surabi]

US 41 - 3-8-2023 at 11:22 AM

I'm pretty comfortable with traveling in Mexico alone by car, but I always tell everyone to stay out of the big border cities. If you need a list: Matamoros, Reynosa, Nuevo Laredo, Juarez, Nogales, Mexicali, and Tijuana.

David K - 3-8-2023 at 01:24 PM

Hard to get into the 'good' Mexico without going through border cities.

US 41 - 3-8-2023 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hard to get into the 'good' Mexico without going through border cities.

Those are just the seven border cities I avoid. The combination of the busy crossings and the cartel activity are enough to keep me away. When I go to / leave Mexico I use the crossings in small border towns, which seem to be just as safe as the interior of Mexico.

gnukid - 3-8-2023 at 04:10 PM

At least some of the group have previous criminal arrest history

Going across the border to "buy drugs" and "medical procedures"

Immediately intercepted and targeted by cartel due to perceived conflict

Goat declares:

""Mistakes” like this attack on medical tourists are what happens when Mexico tolerates cartels. Cartels won’t be stomped out until communities and politicians say no.

The fault lies with citizens and government that allow cartels to run over Mexico."

[Edited on 3-8-2023 by gnukid]

mtgoat666 - 3-8-2023 at 04:37 PM

Goat declares:

""Mistakes” like this attack on medical tourists are what happens when Mexico tolerates cartels. Cartels won’t be stomped out until communities and politicians say no.

The fault lies with citizens and government that allow cartels to run over Mexico."

I suppose it shouldn’t be surprising that you blame the victims and support the sicarios.

gnukid - 3-8-2023 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Goat declares:

I suppose it shouldn’t be surprising that you blame the victims and support the sicarios.

Goat, your comments suggest that you are aware of the individuals and their circumstances intimately? The FBI will be in contact with you.

surabi - 3-8-2023 at 06:40 PM

Gnukid, your comments suggest that you are aware of the individuals and their circumstances intimately? The FBI will be in contact with you.

mtgoat666 - 3-8-2023 at 07:36 PM

Goat declares:

Goat, your comments suggest that you are aware of the individuals and their circumstances intimately? The FBI will be in contact with you.

My neighbor is an FBI agent. I saw him this afternoon when I was out doing yard work, we talked for a while, he did not have any questions for me about this matter!

tomieharder - 3-9-2023 at 04:49 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/world/mexican-cartel-apologizes-letter-kidnap-murder-americans-turns-over-responsible-members

mtgoat666 - 3-9-2023 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tomieharder  
https://www.foxnews.com/world/mexican-cartel-apologizes-letter-kidnap-murder-americans-turns-over-responsible-members

So very thoughtful of those cartel boys offering an apology :lol:

gnukid - 3-9-2023 at 08:55 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11840579/Mexico-aut...

Mexico now says Gulf Cartel's kidnap of The Tummy Tuck Four 'could be directly linked to drug trafficking' - after DailyMail.com revealed the South Carolinians lengthy drugs rap sheets

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11836293/Two-Americ...

Cocaine cowboys: American man killed in Mexico border kidnap was jailed in 2015 for 'drugs manufacture' - while the other three ALL have lengthy drug raps

tomieharder - 3-9-2023 at 10:12 PM

Mexico now says Gulf Cartel's kidnap of The Tummy Tuck Four 'could be directly linked to drug trafficking' - after DailyMail.com revealed the South Carolinians lengthy drugs rap sheets

Cocaine cowboys: American man killed in Mexico border kidnap was jailed in 2015 for 'drugs manufacture' - while the other three ALL have lengthy drug raps

They were driving into Mexico. Nobody smuggles drugs into Mexico.

mtgoat666 - 3-9-2023 at 10:44 PM

Newkid, when did you go to the dark side and become fanboy/booster for Mexican organized crime?

gnukid - 3-10-2023 at 08:11 AM

When I read about criminal gangs, cartel, victims of shootings, and the people are named, I sometimes take a moment to do a quick search to look for criminal background history, relationships to to see who is connected and has a known history of being associated to criminal charges. Takes about 5 seconds when this happened I immediately saw the criminal drug history of the people involved.

I want to know about patterns of crime, cartels etc. for my own safety and be aware of risk.

This case is unfortunate in that people were murdered, though it seems there is a pattern of criminal behavior leading up to the conflict, which is often the case, so it is not an entirely random event.

Once someone is involved in any criminal cartels they are identified in a physical book, the cartel will be aware of their movements and continue to make demands and require payouts for criminal activities in a controlled region.

Anyone who is associated to crime, continues criminal activity in a region controlled yet outside of the $$$ cartel will be confronted by the cartel often resulting in injury or death.

Takeaways include, be aware who you associate with... Goat is uncomfortable with this story...

[Edited on 3-10-2023 by gnukid]

surabi - 3-10-2023 at 09:23 AM

Oh, and you don't think anyone drives into Mexico, buys drugs and smuggles them into the US?

surabi - 3-10-2023 at 12:24 PM

While the tummy-tuck group's prior criminal history and intentions re coming into Mexico may have had nothing at all to do with their kidnapping and murders (and as far as I'm concerned, a prior conviction for marijuana possession hardly makes someone a danger to society or a "bad" guy), and certainly innocent people sometimes get targeted, seems like half the time there are reports of so-called tourists getting murdered in Mexico, some back-story comes out that proves it wasn't just some random event in which the victim just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

[Edited on 3-10-2023 by surabi]

tomieharder - 3-10-2023 at 05:03 PM

Oh, and you don't think anyone drives into Mexico, buys drugs and smuggles them into the US?

Don't you think they should wait until AFTER they buy the drugs to kill them? Are you really that hard up to find a cogent argument.

surabi - 3-10-2023 at 05:57 PM

Poor tomie, you still don't understand anything. If a cartel has information that someone is buying drugs in Mexico and smuggling them back across the border, they would want to snuff out that competition ASAP. Why would they wait, follow them around to see who they are buying drugs from, and only then try to get rid of them?

Perhaps you should let the cartels know what you think they "should" do. I'm sure they'll take your advice on the best practices for criminal behavior.

[Edited on 3-11-2023 by surabi]

mtgoat666 - 3-10-2023 at 09:30 PM

Me observes that several nomads are blaming the victims because they were black, had tats, and were a bit rough around the edges. I think we should do a study in racial stereotyping here!

Gnukid says the tummy-tuck-4 are drug dealers or thugs that got what they deserved because they had a few old misdemeanors on their record, had dreadlocks and tats, and did not attend prep schools in palo alto like he and his upper middle class peers. TomieM0ron and surabi are in the same (or similar) camp... hhhhmmmmmmm.....

surabi - 3-10-2023 at 10:29 PM

Me observes that several nomads are blaming the victims because they were black, had tats, and were a bit rough around the edges. I think we should do a study in racial stereotyping here!

Gnukid says the tummy-tuck-4 are drug dealers or thugs that got what they deserved because they had a few old misdemeanors on their record, had dreadlocks and tats, and did not attend prep schools in palo alto like he and his upper middle class peers. TomieM0ron and surabi are in the same (or similar) camp... hhhhmmmmmmm.....

No goat, I said they may have drawn undue attention to themselves by not realizing that driving around in Texas or South Carolina, or wherever they are from, is not like driving through a rough Mexican border town. Nothing to do with the color of their skin- a white guy or gal would also be well-advised to remove all their facial piercings and cover their tats when entering unfamiliar territory. I certainly try to make myself inconspicuous when crossing borders and being in new places where I don't know how my sometimes hippyish look might be received.

When my daughter first came down to Mexico when she was 19, she was a messy-haired kid who wore layers of colorful rags. Within days she traded in that look for brushed hair, and clean white t-shirts and jeans, as she realized that was the way to be welcome anywhere, without giving strangers in a different culture any fodder for coming up with preconceived notions about her.

tomieharder - 3-10-2023 at 11:58 PM

Poor tomie, you still don't understand anything. If a cartel has information that someone is buying drugs in Mexico and smuggling them back across the border, they would want to snuff out that competition ASAP. Why would they wait, follow them around to see who they are buying drugs from, and only then try to get rid of them?

Perhaps you should let the cartels know what you think they "should" do. I'm sure they'll take your advice on the best practices for criminal behavior.

Were you on the planet yesterday when the cartel announced their people killed these innocent people and they have taken care of the jerks who did it? And yes, they used the word "ïnnocent."

surabi - 3-11-2023 at 12:04 AM

Sure, tomie, the cartel did that because they're such honest guys and care about killing innocent people. It was a huge internationally publicized incident and if they want to keep operating, that was a strategic move. You're the one who was born yesterday.

mtgoat666 - 3-11-2023 at 05:54 AM

The letter shows you the warped sense of civic duty which cartels claim to possess. Despite the widespread fear they sow through extortion, murder and kidnapping, cartel crime groups profess a twisted code of ethics under which they believe they are looking out for the the poor and vulnerable.

That warped altruism does not extend to undocumented migrants, who are kidnapped, raped and murdered by cartels. Nor are local businesses exempt from paying extortion for merely existing in their territory.

In bcs the cartel is deep into the fishing coops, dictating that the coops or fishermen must sell to the cartel wholesalers, at prices dictated by cartel. The cartel then supports the rural people by providing medicine for the sick, etc.

The result is that some Mexicans ignore the cartel violence and like the cartel because they provide some social services to community.

flocking twisted world!

soulpatch - 3-11-2023 at 11:35 AM

cartel crime groups profess a twisted code of ethics under which they believe they are looking out for the the poor and vulnerable.

flocking twisted world!

Pretty sure they don't believe it, they just know public relations for the uneducated or poor.

surabi - 3-11-2023 at 04:21 PM

Some questions being raised now about what this group was doing in the 3 hrs between when they crossed the border and when they were actually kidnapped, as geolocation data showing they were driving around in neighborhoods nowhere near the clinic they had the appointment at. Possibly just lost due to confusing Mexican roads, or sightseeing, but they had GPS showing them where the clinic was, yet were driving in the opposite direction at one point.

This case has some big questions, the answers to which we may never know, but there's likely to be some further investigation beyond simply accepting the "innocent tourists, sorry we screwed up, here's your perpetrators, let's forget about this now."

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/10/us/matamoros-mexico-ameri...

mtgoat666 - 3-11-2023 at 06:39 PM

You still victim blaming?
Crikey!

JZ - 3-11-2023 at 06:45 PM

Seems fishy to me.

surabi - 3-11-2023 at 07:23 PM

You still victim blaming?
Crikey!

Discussing new information that has been reported has nothing to do with victim blaming. It's no more a fact at this point that they were innocent victims than that they weren't. Or that it was a random act of violence or that they were mistaken for someone else.

The only established facts at this point are that four Americans were violently kidnapped and two of them murdered. And that the cartel turned over 5 people to the cops. It's also a fact that some of them had criminal records, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything at all here- a person could have been responsible for a car accident 5 years ago, but that doesn't mean that they must be at fault in a future car accident. None of us here knew these people, all we know is what is being reported. I don't make any assumptions, nor have "suspicions" either way. I'm just following it, as many people are.

And you'd certainly make a lousy detective if you simply assumed that everyone was innocent (or guilty) before there had been a thorough investigation.

[Edited on 3-12-2023 by surabi]

bajaric - 3-12-2023 at 12:01 PM

Elementary my dear Watson, the Brazilian butt lift was only a ruse. Who would think to look under the bandages?