BajaNomad

Lures question

Tommy A - 3-10-2023 at 02:11 PM

Best lures when targeting Cabria and Pargo?
Thx!

bajarich - 3-10-2023 at 09:33 PM

I always had luck with a large jointed Repala, green, yellow and orange.

willardguy - 3-11-2023 at 01:08 AM

if you're going after big snappers get up early and bring a speargun!

Skipjack Joe - 3-11-2023 at 08:11 AM

swimbaits

soulpatch - 3-11-2023 at 11:30 AM

I always had luck with cabrilla on split tail scampis.

Pargo I nailed a few on pretty much anything but crocs were the best.

Don Jorge - 3-13-2023 at 07:57 AM

If you are trolling use rapala type lures choosing which to target the depth you desire to place the trolled lure. So many different ones available nowadays which troll from surface to 15 ft or more in depth. Figure out the highest spot you will be trolling over and choose accordingly.

Fishing structure on the drift or on the hook use as mentioned previously the swim baits ie rubber "scampi" type lures, crocodiles, spoons or my still go to favorite Salas irons.

The rubber tails work well but if there are trigger fish around forget it, they destroy those very quickly.

watizname - 3-14-2023 at 08:43 AM

The "Silver" model Rapala is what I have had great luck with behind a Kayak. It's a long thin jointed lure. Sounds like the same one bajarich was using only a different color. Crocks, white scampies, and Kastmasters work too. Good luck.

Don Pisto - 3-14-2023 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by watizname  
The "Silver" model Rapala is what I have had great luck with behind a Kayak. It's a long thin jointed lure. Sounds like the same one bajarich was using only a different color. Crocks, white scampies, and Kastmasters work too. Good luck.

caught hundreds of fish with em, actually they're called "Slivers"

BajaBruno - 3-14-2023 at 12:43 PM

As the Dons say, those silver Rebel or Rapala jointed minnows are irresistible to the nearshore fish. The Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow is also deadly.

fishmaster - 3-14-2023 at 08:13 PM

My favorite way of catching those fish is jigging the reefs. Rapalas are good if the fish are in 20' or shallower, but those depths get fished pretty hard (not many big ones around anymore). Better to go out in 30-60 and jig 2-4 ounce irons on the reefs. You can also try Yo-Yo-ing, which can be really productive at times.
Plastics (swimbaits and scampi's) can work well, but trigger fish and other toothy critters can tear those up pretty quickly!
Of course bait it always a good way to go too!
Good luck!