BajaNomad

Fruit trees

ztunamann11 - 4-21-2023 at 08:27 AM

Hola anyone know if I am allowed to bring in a small(18"-24") lemon tree? Driving down next week in my truck crossing southbound at Mexicali. Gracias! :cool:

David K - 4-21-2023 at 08:36 AM

Let us know how successful you are! Hope they don't turn you back to the U.S. to dispose it! They are sure to have lemon trees for sale in Mexicali... maybe even in San Felipe?

4x4abc - 4-21-2023 at 10:51 AM

can't bring any kind of plant into Mexico.

thebajarunner - 4-21-2023 at 03:51 PM

We built a 14 acre fresh fruit orchard at the Rancho Santa Marta orphanage and school 4 miles south of San Vicente
You can see the orchard from the highway
We did the first phases in coop with the local Rotary Clubs, they met us at the border and we got all the trees across (At about 100 per acre that is a lot of trees)
All deciduous fruit trees, which struggle in Baja since they need winter chilling, but it has been a real boon for the folks there and the people in the area who can buy the fruit.
And, each year I have brought them a few dozen replants (how I got them there I will never tell)

But, having said this, a single citrus can easily be purchased at various local nurseries, etc. in Ensenada and likely any big city.
Why go through all the effort and stress we have gone through for one lousy tree?

gnukid - 4-21-2023 at 08:32 PM

I have been stopped in both directions with one piece of fruit and it can be considered a huge offense by some, you get written up and can be fined or lose some of your privilege like Sentri. Sometimes when you enter Mexico, if you are in the wrong place for your type of vehicle and gear they turn you back for some odd reason, then you are in the return line to go back into USA secondary and it is a major offense to have fruit, even though there was no option to get rid of it and it came from USA obviously, its a 2-3 hour ordeal. The fruit trees in mexico sold near where you live are generally suited for the weather and soil and can be purchased inexpensively.