BajaNomad

A ridiculous ride for Baja?

AKgringo - 5-14-2023 at 09:15 AM

I saw this this morning, and it put a smile on my face; https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/the-vw-beetle-that-s-al...

surabi - 5-14-2023 at 09:28 AM

That is super cute.

JZ - 5-14-2023 at 11:24 AM

Here is one for sale. $27K.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/06/23/good-for-small-t...

PaulW - 5-15-2023 at 08:02 AM

As mentioned in the writeup. Built from plans in Popular Mechanics magazine. That means there are lots of them out there.

BajaMama - 5-15-2023 at 01:12 PM

I bet she runs like a mother downhill :bounce:

pauldavidmena - 5-15-2023 at 02:57 PM

Given that a VW Beetle engine is in the back, one can only hope that this ride has something more substantial powering it. Having had 3 Bugs in my life - none in the past 35 years - they are fun and economical, but frequently harrowing during winters in the Northeast U.S. The defroster is non-existent, and heat is temperamental at best. With virtually no weight in the front of the vehicle, hitting a patch of ice can be a life-affirming experience. I felt lucky to have survived driving one - and I once owned a Ford Pinto!

stillnbaja - 5-15-2023 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Given that a VW Beetle engine is in the back, one can only hope that this ride has something more substantial powering it. Having had 3 Bugs in my life - none in the past 35 years - they are fun and economical, but frequently harrowing during winters in the Northeast U.S. The defroster is non-existent, and heat is temperamental at best. With virtually no weight in the front of the vehicle, hitting a patch of ice can be a life-affirming experience. I felt lucky to have survived driving one - and I once owned a Ford Pinto!

I bet it has a middle finger in the rear view mirror!:lol:

AKgringo - 5-15-2023 at 03:08 PM

I wonder what driving that little VW RV is like with a stiff cross wind? I had a VW bus years ago, and it wasn't too pleasant when the wind blew.

[Edited on 5-15-2023 by AKgringo]

pauldavidmena - 5-16-2023 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I wonder what driving that little VW RV is like with a stiff cross wind? I had a VW bus years ago, and it wasn't too pleasant when the wind blew.

[Edited on 5-15-2023 by AKgringo]

I remember driving one of my VW Beetles on the Throgs Neck Bridge from Long Island to the Bronx during strong winds. I feel very lucky that I didn't become airborne.