BajaNomad

Free FMM on Website?

Lobsterman - 5-19-2023 at 12:42 PM

I just downloaded and printed my FMM from the Official website for our 5-day trip to LA Bay. The site says the FMM is free if you spend 7 days or less. However, last year when the same group went south to fish the same area, they had to pay. I noticed the FMM says the date you enter but not the date you plan to return.

Are the FMMs free or not?

David K - 5-19-2023 at 01:24 PM

If for less than 7 nights, yes. Free or not, you still have to stop at the border INM desk to have it validated.

sancho - 5-19-2023 at 05:42 PM

Are you saying Mex Immigration at the border did not honor
your pre printed 6 nt 7 day free fmm? I've read that happening
on occasion. There also have been visitors being told after
asking for the free fmm at the border and
being told they don't issue them, you have to pay the $34
which is valid up to 180 days. Mexicali West Immigration, for 1, at times acting on their own, making up there own regs

4x4abc - 5-19-2023 at 07:13 PM

you can print whatever you like on the internet - you still have to deal with the guy at the border
he might or might not honor what you printed

important is that you get your passport stamped - without that, any paper is invalid

7 days free or not depends on the mood of the border officials
in a country where a red traffic light is a mere suggestion, don't expect the border guys to follow any rules

chatolj - 5-19-2023 at 08:05 PM

Experiences : I have printed the free seven day FMM numerous times.
I have used one at every crossing from San Ysidro to San Luis.
I have never had an issue when using one.
Note, always print the second page on the file. It is supposed to be used for returning the seven day FMM which is never done. They sometimes want to see it when stamping the FMM. That could give the INS guys a reason not to accept the preprinted version.
The filling out of the form is very easy, but with attention to details.

Also, a FMM can be obtained using a Passport Card, no book stamping necessary. But now your limited to land and water travel in case of an emergency. Saludos

mtgoat666 - 5-19-2023 at 08:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
you can print whatever you like on the internet - you still have to deal with the guy at the border

important is that you get your passport stamped - without that, any paper is invalid

in a country where a red traffic light is a mere suggestion, don't expect the border guys to follow any rules

Actually, the immigration guys at the border most of the time follow the law and uniformly enforce the rules. Customs is another matter… where most crossers are shifty and trying to avoid the law, and the customs guys are just trying to intercept/tax what they can and keep the traffic flowing

BajaMama - 5-25-2023 at 08:10 AM

Yes you can get a free FMM on the website, must be no more than 6 nights, 7 days. Get it stamped at the border to validate it. Bring both copies and your passport, too.

gnukid - 5-25-2023 at 08:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Actually, the immigration guys at the border most of the time follow the law and uniformly enforce the rules. Customs is another matter… where most crossers are shifty and trying to avoid the law, and the customs guys are just trying to intercept/tax what they can and keep the traffic flowing

Caveat Goat is always misinformed and wrong about everything, but other than that, yes, you can have a free fem for less than 7 (6) days. Be clear about dates when you enter.