BajaNomad

remote construction west of El Gato

baja-chris - 6-27-2023 at 02:37 PM

I see heavy equipment and road building in a very remote area west of El Gato in NE BCS and I don't see much in the way of access to get there.
I've driven past El Gato (old corral) on way to coast (aka no whimps trail).
Here are the coordinates I'm asking about. Anyone know what's up there?
I see roughly the same on both Bing and Google maps.
27.830003, -113.018499

AKgringo - 6-27-2023 at 03:37 PM

That general area has seen mining in the past, maybe they found some fresh pay dirt?

mtgoat666 - 6-27-2023 at 03:45 PM

google sat images shows scars typical of mineral exploration (roads and drill pads).

AKgringo - 6-27-2023 at 08:03 PM

I can't get those files to open with the options given to me by Edge. It sounds like the possible mining sites Goat mentioned might just be where they are getting fill material for the road.

JZ - 6-27-2023 at 11:14 PM

Area of discussion. Green pin is the location from the OP.

[Edited on 6-28-2023 by JZ]

baja-chris - 6-28-2023 at 03:29 AM

Harald, it seems you have access to much newer images than I see with either GE or Google maps. What am I doing wrong?

Also where exactly is Playa La Palmita? Years ago the owner of San Ignacio Rice & Beans told me he had purchased a large parcel of beachfront that backed up to the BC/BCS border (his parcel being in BCS). Wondering if this is where the development is going in?

BTW, this new road might make for a nice loop, going south from El Gato. Just for exploration.

David K - 6-28-2023 at 08:20 AM

Any chance this road is for the new power lines coming across the gulf from Sonora to near El Barril then south to the Tres Virgenes power plant/ Santa Rosalía lines?

4x4abc - 6-28-2023 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Any chance this road is for the new power lines coming across the gulf from Sonora to near El Barril then south to the Tres Virgenes power plant/ Santa Rosalía lines?

could be

bajaric - 6-28-2023 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

could be

Southern Copper (a subsidiary of Grupo Mexico) could be behind it. They have proposed installing a transmission line to El Arco for copper mining / smelting. Just speculation.

[Edited on 6-29-2023 by bajaric]