BajaNomad

Looks like Southern Baja is going to get wet.

wiltonh - 7-1-2023 at 11:10 AM

Hurricane Beatriz is headed for Cabo but it looks like it will be a depression as it get there. You can find the map as the second one on eebmike.com.

The first storm shown is Adrian which is headed West and will not gets near Baja.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/EP02/refresh/EP02202...

[Edited on 7-1-2023 by wiltonh]

AKgringo - 7-1-2023 at 02:56 PM

It looks like Beatriz fell apart completely and won't be going anywhere!

surabi - 7-1-2023 at 03:43 PM

We were supposed to get tons of rain and wind here in Sayulita and never did. A few hours of light rain yesterday and today is all that happened.

RFClark - 7-1-2023 at 03:58 PM

AK,

It died about where windy said it would yesterday. Berg was the forecaster I don’t recognize the name.

IMG_2608.jpeg - 82kB

[Edited on 7-2-2023 by RFClark]

AKgringo - 7-1-2023 at 06:41 PM

The forecaster probably looked at all the computer models, then flipped a coin!

I have watched Windy have the opposite luck when they were still forecasting a storm traveling up the length of Baja California while it was already onshore on the mainland.

I do like their graphics though!

shari - 7-3-2023 at 02:14 PM

big fat nothing burger all right. But I am a bit wary of the El Nino threat warming up the water alot this summer and what the effects of that will be!

surabi - 7-3-2023 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
big fat nothing burger all right. But I am a bit wary of the El Nino threat warming up the water alot this summer and what the effects of that will be!

I've been reading that sea birds are dying of starvation in many places as the fish are moving deeper to cooler water.

[Edited on 7-3-2023 by surabi]

AKgringo - 7-3-2023 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by shari  

I've been reading that sea birds are dying of starvation in many places as the fish are moving deeper to cooler water.

[Edited on 7-3-2023 by surabi]

A red tide is also contributing to a higher mortality rate among birds and sea mammals.

surabi - 7-3-2023 at 02:47 PM

Yes, and red tide algae bloom thrives in warmer water.

AKgringo - 7-3-2023 at 03:08 PM

Red tides also occur in Alaskan waters which at their warmest point are still colder than southern seas, but yes, temperature is a factor.

surabi - 7-3-2023 at 03:34 PM

Yes, the water doesn't have to be tropical warm. In Canada, it is advised not to eat shellfish in the summer months because of the red tide that can often be present. And the water is far from warm, it 's just warmer than it is the rest of the year.