BajaNomad

El Hongo mess

stillnbaja - 7-15-2023 at 10:12 AM

A strong crash in the El Hongo booth, on the section from Mexicali to Tecate caused the booth and the roof to collapse. Unfortunately, the accident left one person dead. Immediately, emergency bodies were able to help different corporations to help in the area. Well, derived from the accident. A fire broke out. In addition, the fuel spill is reported, so the fire department is already working in the area. For now, traffic is closed in both directions.

[Edited on 7-15-2023 by stillnbaja]

AKgringo - 7-15-2023 at 10:16 AM

Tell me more please!

elgatoloco - 7-15-2023 at 10:22 AM

Yikes :thumbdown:

surabi - 7-15-2023 at 11:18 AM

Wow. Sure looks like that structure didn't have nearly enough foundational supports to be able to topple over like that from a vehicle impact.

Vehicle impact

AKgringo - 7-15-2023 at 01:14 PM

Is that what happened? It appears to be a toll plaza with a whole lot of rebar all around it. It may have been under construction, or got hit by a truck load of steel.

It would be hard to design supports that could withstand a hit like that.

surabi - 7-15-2023 at 01:34 PM

I thought all that rebar might have been a load on the vehicle that crashed into the building, because the building looks like it was complete. I'm sure they'll be a story about what actually happened somewhere.

bajaric - 7-15-2023 at 02:45 PM

I think free road will be a better option than the toll road for a while. The free road eastbound from Tecate is really quite nice, with passing lanes on the grades, a couple of OXXO's, and a place that sells rustic furniture.

RFClark - 7-15-2023 at 03:42 PM

Can you say build things with alternate stress pathways? None for me thanks!

Maderita - 7-15-2023 at 05:17 PM

Westbound lanes of Mex 2D. There is a downhill grade approaching the toll booth. The hill is long, though not particularly steep. I'm guessing a semirremolque lost its brakes on that grade.

Also guessing, I think the truck driver bravely steered into the right hand lane which loops around onto the free highway 2. The 2 lanes on the left continue westbound on the 2D and are usually backed up with cars at the toll booths.
I say "bravely" because he knew that he would not make the exit curve at speed. But he chose to avoid stopped traffic at the toll booths, thus preventing more deaths.
https://www.elimparcial.com/mexicali/mexicali/Fuerte-choque-...

[Edited on 7-16-2023 by Maderita]

Tool Booth

PaulW - 7-16-2023 at 12:25 PM

Tool booth damage.jpg - 136kB

SFandH - 7-16-2023 at 04:12 PM

Those flatbed semis carrying rebar have to be the heaviest trucks on the road. No wonder the structure fell down.

thebajarunner - 7-17-2023 at 10:18 AM

My son's pastor was just a few cars behind when the truck full of rebar lost its brakes and knocked down the structure
He said it was brutal to see!