BajaNomad

BOLA to animas and San Francisquito

CarneAsada - 7-26-2023 at 08:16 PM

Time for another family Baja trip. Does any one have a recent update on the road conditions from BOLA south to Bahia de las animas and San Fancisquito?

advrider - 7-26-2023 at 10:21 PM

Rode it in February, rocky but not too bad. One of my favorite rides in Baja. Do report back on your trip.
We came in from El Arco and there were many areas where the road is now in the wash for long stretches, sandy but not bad at all.

larryC - 7-27-2023 at 08:35 AM

I drove Bola to Squito in June and it was no problem and the Animas road gets lots of traffic so you won't have a problem there either.

JZ - 7-27-2023 at 04:53 PM

Have done the trip about a dozen times. It is always pretty easy.

Air down to make the ride more comfortable.

David K - 7-27-2023 at 05:01 PM

Dittos to the above replies. After all, bad roads bring good people but this good road brings all kinds of people!*
That's why many of us don't mind a bad road. You just drive slower and air down as all professional off road drivers do.
*Mama Espinoza, 1973 (when pavement came to El Rosario).

AKgringo - 7-27-2023 at 05:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Have done the trip about a dozen times. It is always pretty easy.

If you had said usually pretty easy, I would agree with you. I drove it right after hurricane Kay last year, and there were more than a couple of tough spots. I had to leave the road a couple of times to get around obstacles or washouts.

The worst damage was south of the Las Animas road which wasn't all that bad.

larry - 1-6-2024 at 10:57 AM

Any recent updates on this? I am in BOLA and hoping to head south on this road tomorrow. Thanks, Larry

4x4abc - 1-6-2024 at 11:22 AM

that road is a major Baja (dirt) highway - it is always passable
don't like rocks on the road?
Baja might not be for you.

larry - 1-6-2024 at 12:52 PM

Thanks for your philosophy. Looking for any recent firsthand info

JZ - 1-6-2024 at 03:56 PM

This was one of the first long rides my kids did by themselves.

They were about 12 and 14. We followed a good ways behind in the truck. Made it all the way to Beto's place at San Francisquito.

towntaco - 1-11-2024 at 10:57 PM

As of a couple days ago the road is in typical shape. El Arco to Vizcaino is in much worse shape than normal on the Vizcaino side.