BajaNomad

Fuel availability

1974elsinore250 - 8-7-2023 at 08:20 PM

New to this forum, thanks in advance for any help. I drive a diesel Ford van. How good is the availability of diesel on my way to Mulege??

chatolj - 8-8-2023 at 05:16 AM

Plenty of diesel in Baja. That being said, there is a gap between El Rosario and Jesus Maria on Mex 1 with no fuel stations. Fuel is available from barrels in a few locations in the gap.
Same as above from San Felipe (maybe Gonzaga Bay) to Jesus Maria if running on Mex 5.

Alan - 8-8-2023 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chatolj  
Plenty of diesel in Baja. That being said, there is a gap between El Rosario and Jesus Maria on Mex 1 with no fuel stations. Fuel is available from barrels in a few locations in the gap.
Same as above from San Felipe (maybe Gonzaga Bay) to Jesus Maria if running on Mex 5.
Definitely want to fill in El Rosario before the push to Jesus Maria or GN. Fuel is sold from cans around the BoLA turn off but I have only seen them selling gasoline, not diesel. On MX5 there is plenty of diesel, San Felipe, again on the highway at the turnoff to Gonzaga and the Jesus Maria or GN after you have tied back into MX1

David K - 8-8-2023 at 09:22 AM

A similar question was asked on Facebook by a Sprinter van owner about Mexicali to Loreto.

My reply:

Top the tank at San Felipe, then 100 miles south, top again at Gonzaga Bay (km 147). They may be out or closed, but the next fuel station is 150 miles+/-.
Can you get 250 miles in your tank to get to Guerrero Negro from San Felipe?
There also is fuel sold along the highway at the L.A. Bay junction.

South of Guerrero Negro to Loreto, each town has fuel stations that are usually open:
Vizcaino
San Ignacio
Santa Rosalia
Mulegé
Loreto

Distances?
Here is a Hwy. 1 mileage chart:

This chart is below the Kilometer Marker guide, at www.VivaBaja.com
https://vivabaja.com/kilometer-guide/

1974elsinore250 - 8-16-2023 at 07:16 PM

You guys have been a huge help. As far as the fuel at the turn off of Hwy 1 to Bola, they had gasoline only there in 2010 when I came thru but no diesel, that's why I asked. I do have about a 550-mile range in my E350 with my 36 gallon tank. I also have the ability to carry an extra 20 ga. on board so i think I'll be ok.... just wanted to make sure it was something that was being sold at most stations along the way. Thanks.

BajaMama - 8-17-2023 at 08:24 AM

With a 550 mile range you're golden. Just fill up at El Rosario (via 1) or San Felipe (via 5).

dravnx - 8-17-2023 at 08:28 AM

And do not carry fuel in your spare container when crossing southbound.