BajaNomad

Inflation in Baja?

AKgringo - 1-30-2024 at 11:58 AM

It's been a year and a half since my last visit, and I was wondering if prices have been fairly stable, or have jumped more than they have north of the border?

I don't use hotels very often, but the price of gasoline, food, and an occasional campground will have an impact on how far and long I travel.

stillnbaja - 1-30-2024 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It's been a year and a half since my last visit, and I was wondering if prices have been fairly stable, or have jumped more than they have north of the border?

I don't use hotels very often, but the price of gasoline, food, and an occasional campground will have an impact on how far and long I travel.

speaking only for rosarito/ensenada area expect to pay around five bucks a gallon for regular....:(

PaulW - 1-30-2024 at 12:28 PM

In San Felipe we see significant price increases for everything. Food seems to be the worst

matchless - 1-30-2024 at 02:21 PM

Everything is more expensive...we have just completed a driving trip down the peninsula....
Every year for many years we drive down and stay in the Cerritos area for a couple of months....
This year, most likely due to inflation and the exchange rate, we have found everything to be 20+% higher than ever before....gas for example, all over the peninsula is 22.5 to 23.5 pesos/liter (sometimes higher)....official exchange rate today 17.15 pesos/dollar....

AKgringo - 1-30-2024 at 05:07 PM

Not good news, but not surprising considering what the last couple of years has done to my disposable income level north of the border.

I travel like a homeless guy living in an SUV with his dog, so the gasoline price is my main concern.

JDCanuck - 1-30-2024 at 07:12 PM

AKGringo: Most impacted price increases in La Paz were the hotels up 35 to 100% from last year, food in restaurants up about 20%, gas as previously mentioned. Didn't check the campgrounds. Some few Airbnb were actually a bit cheaper, while others were up significantly. Best bet for accommodations as mentioned earlier is to carefully look through the Bed and Breakfast listings and get one that fits your needs.

[Edited on 1-31-2024 by JDCanuck]

towntaco - 1-30-2024 at 07:55 PM

Meals that were 85 pesos a few years ago are 185 pesos now.

mtgoat666 - 1-30-2024 at 08:44 PM

Not good news, but not surprising considering what the last couple of years has done to my disposable income level north of the border.

I travel like a homeless guy living in an SUV with his dog, so the gasoline price is my main concern.

Senior prices at mcdonalds are always a good deal. Me and my 50s age friends always ask for senior price, they never card us :lol::lol:

pacificobob - 1-31-2024 at 07:58 AM

My observation is that there is significant inflation in bcs.
Wages are high too, with workers from all over Mexico coming for the larger paydays.Los cabos is convinced it has become a world class destination. The French Riviera has more reasonable pricing.
It's mexico for heels sake. With many parts smelling of sewage. I think the biggest draw is proximity to population centers on the US west coast.
Other parts of mexico has fared much better. ( in terms of inflation) Just my 2 cents.

Alan - 1-31-2024 at 09:55 AM

I assume it is just as my Mexican friends often tell me, "When the US catches a cold, Baja catches pneumonia".

4x4abc - 1-31-2024 at 11:56 AM

La Paz/Los Cabos everything (everything) is on US price level

thebajarunner - 1-31-2024 at 04:26 PM

Five buck gas!! Ouch
I can remember when folks drove down south to gas up

Yuma is half that, so lots of border folks likely coming up this way for a fill up

Here in the Phoenix area we are under three dollars

stillnbaja - 1-31-2024 at 05:05 PM

these poor people.....:no:

pacificobob - 1-31-2024 at 06:44 PM

Personally, i feel the high gas prices in Mexico is entirely Joe Biden and the lib's fault.

mtgoat666 - 1-31-2024 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Personally, i feel the high gas prices in Mexico is entirely Joe Biden and the lib's fault.

You forgot to blame kamala and george soros as well

JDCanuck - 2-1-2024 at 09:05 PM

We havent seen the gas prices in Pesos vary much at all, thanks to the Mexican Government's decision to subsidize at the pump. The value of the USD relative to the peso is out of Mexico's control. Peso costs of hotels tho are increasing very rapidly, especially along the Malecon in La Paz. If you add in the destruction of the USD/MXN exchange rates its especially painful.

[Edited on 2-2-2024 by JDCanuck]

Ateo - 2-2-2024 at 08:41 AM

Regarding fuel.....................NOB article (but it is related)

"Our Chart of the Day shows that US oil production has surged to a new record high of 13.3 million barrels a day last week.

The prior record was 13.2 million barrels a day hit in November, and is above the pre-pandemic high of 13.1 million barrels reached in February 2020.

America's steady rise in US oil production has helped put a cap on prices, with the commodity down 8% year-to-date even amid a flare-up in geopolitical tensions in the Middle East, and as the US economy remains on solid footing.

That's been great news for drivers, with the average price of gas steadily falling to $3.12 a gallon, according to the most recent data from AAA.

The US is the largest oil producer in the world, surpassing Russia's 9.5 million barrel a day production rate, and well ahead of Saudi Arabia's daily production rate of 9.1 million barrels a day."

[Edited on 2-2-2024 by Ateo]

AKgringo - 2-2-2024 at 08:57 AM

My old Kia Sportage soft top runs better on premium, so yesterday I treated it to a tank of 91 octane. It was $4.65 a gallon, but I got a free 20 oz cup of coffee with it!

This was in Nevada County, northern CA.

surfhat - 2-2-2024 at 09:40 AM

Look for a Costco gas station if in your area. Often their Top Tier fuel is close to a dollar a gallon cheaper than any others.

I use their premium for my awd Volvo wagon. If they sold diesel I would buy their Top Tier diesel for my Sprinter van.

There are some local independents that come close to Costco's prices, but they are not Top Tier and Costco is ten minutes away.

I wonder if the Costco's in Baja offer the same advantage. I am sure they get their fuel from the US, in Baja specifically. Baja Sur, not so much.

Costco prices

AKgringo - 2-2-2024 at 09:45 AM

As I stated earlier, it has been a year and a half since I was in Baja, but the cheapest gas on that trip was at the Cabo Costco.

It is also the cheapest gas in my part of Northern CA, but for me that is a 30 mile drive.

surfhat - 2-2-2024 at 10:04 AM

30 miles would give me pause also, point of diminishing returns and all.

At 20mpg and 5 bucks per gallon, more or less, it would cost you three gallons round trip to fill up. $15 traveling charge. Ouch.

Timing is everything.

pacificobob - 2-2-2024 at 11:06 AM

Costco in CSL fuel prices are a bit lower than others...
Maybe a peso/liter? Don't quote me on this.

stillnbaja - 2-2-2024 at 11:46 AM

don't forget to factor in tip and short liters!:coolup:

AKgringo - 2-2-2024 at 12:23 PM

I'm curious about where that photo was taken? Are the prices close to that throughout the peninsula?

[Edited on 2-2-2024 by AKgringo]

stillnbaja - 2-2-2024 at 12:31 PM

I'm curious about where that photo was taken? Are the prices close to that throughout the peninsula?

[Edited on 2-2-2024 by AKgringo]

like I said I can only speak for rosarito area this station is by far the busiest station here, taxi's and busses gas up here. Energy next to 7/11 top of popotla.