BajaNomad

Cutting the border line in Tecate--- don`t do it.

BornFisher - 2-15-2024 at 09:09 PM

So after being in line for about 15 minutes, crossing northbound in Tecate, a vehicle with Coroado or maybe Idaho plates cut in line 3 cars in front of me. A ruckus was created with much horn honking. It takes a dirty rotten gringo to do such a thing!! Anyway, the young couple with a dog got taken out of the line and the last I saw of them, they were following a motorcycle cop somewhere. Their dog was not wearing a seat belt, they had a container of propane on their trailer rack hitch, and who knows what other infractions were discovered! So have a great adventure and vacation in Baja, but at the last minute, don`t try to beat the border line by 15 minutes.

Lee - 2-15-2024 at 10:35 PM

Instant karma. Proof the universe hates jerks.

surabi - 2-15-2024 at 10:43 PM

What I really detest are the drivers in heavy traffic areas who use what is supposed to be a pull-over lane to speed past all the cars waiting patiently for the light to change, or the traffic to move, then budge their way in when they get to the point where that lane ends. As if it's far more important for them to get where they are going than it is for everyone else.

[Edited on 2-16-2024 by surabi]

mtgoat666 - 2-15-2024 at 11:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
What I really detest are the drivers in heavy traffic areas who use what is supposed to be a pull-over lane to speed past all the cars waiting patiently for the light to change, or the traffic to move, then budge their way in when they get to the point where that lane ends. As if it's far more important for them to get where they are going than it is for everyone else.

I think people should drive the legal lane until it ends, then merge over. People that merge over long before a lane ends are silly to think other travelers should likewise merge over long before necessary.

If cars are lined up and leave a large gap, nothing wrong with car filling the gap (cutting in line). There is no law that says a legal merge is “cutting” or somehow illegal.

surabi - 2-16-2024 at 12:55 AM

I don't think you understood what I was referring to. I was talking about using a not legal lane (meant for buses to stop and load or unload or people who need to stop for some reason) to speed past all the cars in the legal lanes and then expecting other drivers to let them back in the legal lane, where there is no gap, when the non-legal lane ends.

I actually saw a cop in Puerto Vallarta busting drivers for doing this one day when there was a construction holdup on the road.

greengoes - 2-16-2024 at 05:32 AM

In Tecate, if you try being a gaviota you will be taken out of line by the policia, possibly fined, and sent to the end.

They don't accept that type of behavior a bit and I agree.

Santiago - 2-16-2024 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by greengoes  
In Tecate, if you try being a gaviota you will be taken out of line by the policia, possibly fined, and sent to the end.

Seagull??

JZ - 2-16-2024 at 10:54 AM

Those of us with Sentri get to cut the line with government approval. It is very rewarding to drive past 1,000 cars on a busy day.

bajadogs - 2-16-2024 at 11:04 AM

There is no Sentri lane in Tecate. Also, keep in mind that motorcycles are encouraged to ride to the front of the line by Mexican and U.S. officials.

AKgringo - 2-16-2024 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Quote: Originally posted by greengoes  

Seagull??

I am going on something I learned as a kid, so accuracy is questionable. I believe that Gaviota could be a reference to the fertilizer that is processed from the white deposits built up over centuries of sea gulls crapping on rocks.

towntaco - 2-16-2024 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  
There is no Sentri lane in Tecate. Also, keep in mind that motorcycles are encouraged to ride to the front of the line by Mexican and U.S. officials.

Yup. Just don't all go to the same lane to cross, spread out between the lanes. Or so I was told the last time 3 friends and I rode back across and went through a single lane together.

[Edited on 2-16-2024 by towntaco]

surabi - 2-16-2024 at 01:41 PM

I've lived in Mexico over 20 years, speak Spanish,and have never heard anyone use "gaviota" to mean a line-cutter.

SFandH - 2-16-2024 at 01:54 PM

I've lived in Mexico over 20 years, speak Spanish,and have never heard anyone use "gaviota" to mean a line-cutter.

“Gaviotas” se meten a fila a Calexico y atacan a policía

https://www.elimparcial.com/mxl/mexicali/2022/02/20/gaviotas...

mtgoat666 - 2-16-2024 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

“Gaviotas” se meten a fila a Calexico y atacan a policía

https://www.elimparcial.com/mxl/mexicali/2022/02/20/gaviotas...

A crackdown on the ‘gaviotas’ who cut into the border line
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-califo...

surabi - 2-16-2024 at 02:56 PM

Interesting. It must be a fairly localized term?

pacificobob - 2-16-2024 at 03:06 PM

I have heard it used to describe a promiscuous female.

JZ - 2-16-2024 at 04:15 PM

Yes, I know.

Crossing at Tecate makes zero sense, especially when you have Sentri. You don't need to drive way out of the way. Plus the cops there pray on Gringo's a lot more. Avoid Tecate.

It is just common sense!

AKgringo - 2-16-2024 at 04:41 PM

Imagine a rider in a helmet and leathers on an air-cooled bike, working their way through a long line on a hundred degree day. Mechanical, and medical breakdowns will happen!

I don't ride, but it doesn't bother me a bit to see bikers go directly to the front of the line.

mtgoat666 - 2-16-2024 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Imagine a rider in a helmet and leathers on an air-cooled bike, working their way through a long line on a hundred degree day. Mechanical, and medical breakdowns will happen!

I don't ride, but it doesn't bother me a bit to see bikers go directly to the front of the line.

Same logic says cars w/o AC should be able to cut line on hot days…

Don Pisto - 2-16-2024 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Same logic says cars w/o AC should be able to cut line on hot days…

well they can do anything they want, remember a couple years ago they made motorcyclist's wait in line with cars at Otay? don't know how long that lasted.

[Edited on 2-17-2024 by Don Pisto]

pacificobob - 2-16-2024 at 06:39 PM

Crossed at Tecate on motorbikes multiple times. Super fast process.

windgrrl - 2-16-2024 at 08:18 PM

With motos excepted, going to the back of the line when driving north to cross at Tecate is the rule. People honk their horns at those who try to cut in and then police quickly appear. Passenger vehicles keep to the right while semis swoop past on the left and given space to cut across to get over to the right entry lane.

This past Monday, the line was almost 2 km long and finding the real end of it pulling a trailer was a bit of a puzzle. Winding past the usual turn to the border and on through the neighbourhoods below, we arrived at end of the line with help from kind people along the way.

We were through the border in an hour and I never mind the wait. It’s a time to enjoy the last moments of a vibrant culture in charming scenery to the south while contemplating the implications of the wall and land beyond to the north. There’s usually sunshine, a cool breeze, blossoms, food and entertainment along the way at this time of year.

Many cross the border by their own method and I value the privilege of being able to pass through international boundaries relatively quickly and effortlessly.

Thankfully, crossing at Tecate is not everybody’s cup of tea.

Udo - 2-18-2024 at 11:41 AM

In Tecate??

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Those of us with Sentri get to cut the line with government approval. It is very rewarding to drive past 1,000 cars on a busy day.

pacificobob - 2-18-2024 at 12:57 PM

JZ's absence is yet an additional reason to cross at Tecate.

stillnbaja - 2-18-2024 at 01:31 PM

you must be very proud! :lol:

JZ - 2-18-2024 at 06:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
In Tecate??

With Sentri yo don't need to drive an hour plus out of the way to get a shorter line.

JZ - 2-18-2024 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  

you must be very proud! :lol:

If you hadn't smoked all that MaryJane in the 70's you'd be able to get a Sentri pass. :light:

pacificobob - 2-19-2024 at 07:22 AM

What a charmer.

Don Jorge - 2-19-2024 at 10:16 AM

i cross at Tecate, no Sentri there, as often as I do TIJ/SY where I use the Sentri. Have seen the cops pounce on many a lane switcher in Tecate.

I suspect the Colorado plated vehicle mentioned by the OP found themselves in the right commercial truck lane, realized their mistake and switched lanes. Anyone unfamiliar with Tecate crossing could easily make that mistake. That switch rarely goes without notice by the local cops.

Tecate can work very well Tuesday thru Friday afternoons. The weekends and Monday forget it. You will wait.

Last Thursday returning north and pulling a trailer we arrived in Mexicali early afternoon. We pulled from GN to there. CBP app showed 90 minutes wait at both Mexicali crossings and Tecate with a 10 minute wait. I made the decision to use toll road and went west to Tecate. Crossed in less that 10 minutes and surprisingly no secondary even with the trailer. I always use my Sentri card at all land crossings. It seems to help facilitate the crossings.

Instead of waiting 90 minutes in Mexicali we used those 90 minutes to go west. We saved ourselves some idle windshield time and made progress towards our home in San Clemente. Tecate can work as a border crossing.

Sidenote, there was military checkpoint on the toll road, second booth. Also there was an immigration official there and he checked our visas. No problems there. Quick look at passports and visas and on our way. Also, The Tecate cops are still up to their tricks and preying upon gringos.

LancairDriver - 2-20-2024 at 12:55 AM

Gaviota, Spanish for seagull. Also an unincorporated town in Santa Barbara County.

surabi - 2-20-2024 at 09:11 AM

Reading comprehension? Am well aware that gaviota means seagull in Spanish. I said I had never heard it used as slang for line-cutter.

LancairDriver - 2-20-2024 at 09:33 AM

Reading comprehension? Am well aware that gaviota means seagull in Spanish. I said I had never heard it used as slang for line-cutter.

I believe the original poster using gaviota was a comparison to the common sight of seagulls fighting for position over food. Ya think?

Don Pisto - 2-26-2024 at 01:23 PM

well SY now has a dedicated bike lane.....