BajaNomad

Sun Clock "Reloj Solar" installation at La Cuesta, highway 2D

Maderita - 2-21-2024 at 04:19 PM

For once, I was in no hurry to hit the dirt roads to cross the Laguna Salada desert and had time to check out the unique Sun Clock installation. It is in the desert, at the foot of the mountains below (east) of La Rumorosa, at the "La Cuesta" (steep grade) gasoline/truck stop. The sun clock is in a parking lot traffic circle a few meters east of the gas pumps. This is not a destination side trip, but if driving by or getting gas, it's worth the few minutes to check it out.

I was there on February 17th, just 4 days ahead of the February 21st demarcation line. Arriving on the 21st would have made it easy to check the calibration of the shadow. I'm guessing that it is quite accurate.

If you find solar clocks interesting,see this link:
https://sunclock.net/

AKgringo - 2-21-2024 at 04:28 PM

It must be quite a challenge to change the numbers twice a year for daylight saving time! :rolleyes:

[Edited on 2-21-2024 by AKgringo]

surabi - 2-21-2024 at 05:06 PM

Mexico no longer goes on daylight savings time. So no clocks to change in Mexico.

David K - 2-21-2024 at 05:07 PM

Thanks John, that is such a cool post!

AKgringo - 2-21-2024 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Mexico no longer goes on daylight savings time. So no clocks to change in Mexico.

Baja Norte matches California time, and does change to match NOB. This year it will change on March 10. I am nor sure if Baja Sur will change, I think they prefer to match mainland Mexico time.

Personally, I think it is a crock, and wish it would go away!

surabi - 2-21-2024 at 05:50 PM

I didn't realize Baja Norte is coordinating with Calif. time. Baja Sur is for sure not- they are going by the "no daylight savings" time.

AKgringo - 2-21-2024 at 06:02 PM

At least for half of the year, Norte y Sur are in the same time zone!

David K - 2-21-2024 at 06:02 PM

The north state of Baja California matched U.S. California for Daylight Savings; and Sonora matched Arizona when the rest of Mexico changed their clocks.

mtgoat666 - 2-21-2024 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Personally, I think it is a crock, and wish it would go away!

What’s not to like about it? It’s a great tradition!

BornFisher - 2-21-2024 at 07:46 PM

My favorite day of the year is when the clock springs forward. Happy hour starts early!