BajaNomad

Some really great trip photos with underwater shots...

David K - 4-13-2024 at 07:15 AM

Posted on Tacoma World Forums:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/baja-november-23.828394/

Russ - 4-13-2024 at 08:52 AM

Those are really fun and fantastic shots. The islands off Punta Chavato use to have an abundance of life like that before the netters came in.

mtgoat666 - 4-13-2024 at 09:07 AM

This quote from your linked article…. “Rented a boat to try and snap a pic of some whales. This was tough - they swim very fast so you gotta spot them surfacing to breathe and try to gauge their speed and direction, follow them, then dive in and SWIM the next time they surface. Spent an hour just to get this one pic.“

Worst kind of tourism, chasing down marine mammals to jump in water with them. It’s harassment of wildlife. In this case it sounds like they chased a whale for an hour to get their pic and experience. Can you imagine how unpleased you would be if a human chased you for an hour just to get/stay close and snap pics? The reason the whale or dolphin swims away from you is they dont want to be with you.
Many of the la paz and cabo tour operators are starting to do this, chasing down marine mammals,…
Very bad stuff!

[Edited on 4-13-2024 by mtgoat666]

JZ - 4-13-2024 at 09:50 AM

My experience is you just drift and the whales come to you. No panga captain would chase a whale.

Being on Zodiac can be a little intimidating.

[Edited on 4-13-2024 by JZ]

David K - 4-13-2024 at 10:43 AM

Whales go where they want... same thing with whale sharks... people swim with them all the time but no protests from our resident hater about that?

mtgoat666 - 4-13-2024 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
No panga captain would chase a whale.

That’s what some of the panga drivers are doing in baja sur…
They chase them down, try to get in front of their path, then swimmers jump in water in front of the whales.

AKgringo - 4-13-2024 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

They chase them down, try to get in front of their path, then swimmers jump in water in front of the whales.

I have witnessed that happening along the El Mogote peninsula across from La Paz.

In this case, it was a whale shark that snorkelers couldn't keep up with, so the panga did repeated shuttles to drop them off ahead of it.

I don't think that one or two drop offs would stress the creature much, but there comes a point where they need to leave it alone.

mtgoat666 - 4-13-2024 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I have witnessed that happening along the El Mogote peninsula across from La Paz.

In this case, it was a whale shark that snorkelers couldn't keep up with, so the panga did repeated shuttles to drop them off ahead of it.

I don't think that one or two drop offs would stress the creature much, but there comes a point where they need to leave it alone.

That is the reason a lot of whale sharks have prop scars… :thumbdown: