BajaNomad

Marine Research in the Sea of Cortez

pauldavidmena - 4-17-2024 at 07:17 AM

My employer currently has a research vessel, the Atlantis, conducting research at a sampling station in the Guaymas-Southern Trough in the Sea of Cortez. Here is an image from the ship's internal website.

pacificobob - 4-17-2024 at 07:54 AM

Excellent, I'd like to hear more about the nature of the research. Have you been aboard?

pauldavidmena - 4-17-2024 at 08:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Excellent, I'd like to hear more about the nature of the research. Have you been aboard?

I've only been aboard the research vessels when they were docked in Woods Hole. Non-crew is permitted onboard during a "cruise" (as we call it), but are expected to put in 12-hour shifts 6 days a week! I wouldn't mind that too much, but I tend to be needed for my IT duties, which essentially involve getting data off of the ships and into the data center.

The official research objective, per the Atlantis website, is "Microbial community structure and activity in hydrothermally-impacted sediments and hydrothermal plumes in the Gulf of California." It's quite literally hot stuff. :cool:

pauldavidmena - 4-17-2024 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
My employer currently has a research vessel, the Atlantis, conducting research at a sampling station in the Guaymas-Southern Trough in the Sea of Cortez.

I had no idea y'all work on the west side. Is that supported out of Mass., or do you have facilities on the West Coast?

Typically all 3 vessels in the WHOI fleet work in the Northern Atlantic, but the moving of a research array over the past year or so freed up one of them to participate in deep-sea exploration. Since the Atlantis is home to the Alvin sub (of Titanic fame), it was tapped to cross over to the Pacific via the Panama Canal about a year ago and has spent a lot of time near the Galapagos Islands researching thermal vents.

Cliffy - 4-17-2024 at 07:20 PM

Big "worms" live near thermal vents! :-)

pauldavidmena - 4-18-2024 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Big "worms" live near thermal vents! :-)

Here is an article from WHOI's "Oceanus" magazine describing the worms, which can grow over 6 feet long. :wow: