BajaNomad

Alfonsinas Beach Without Staying There

BeachSeeker - 5-6-2024 at 12:58 PM

Does anyone have any info on accessing the beach near Alfonsinas without staying at the hotel or owning one of the houses? Although I've been to Gonzaga a thousand times, only once have we ever been to Alfonsinas, and only for a few minutes.

I'd really like to shore fish for an hour or two on that beach trying to get some schooly yellows or corvina. Can I just tell the guard we want to go to the beach? If we go have lunch, will they hassle us if we fish for a bit by the houses? Thanks!

Tioloco - 5-6-2024 at 01:05 PM

If you stay on Hwy 5 just a bit south of the Alfonsinas turnoff, you can turn off the highway toward Punta Final and find a place to cut down to the beach and fish til your hearts content.

Otherwise, I believe you will be fine buying lunch at Alfonsinas and using their beach to fish from.

David K - 5-6-2024 at 02:26 PM

The beach is public in Mexico. Fish your heart out! Park by the east end of the Rancho Grande runway or near the first home, unless you want to fish by the hotel. There are a couple of Gonzaga Bay Facebook groups you can ask on.
Next time I am on them, I will ask for you!

BeachSeeker - 5-6-2024 at 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I've fished a lot of the beach from Rancho Grande to Punta Final. The fishing is best between Rancho Grande and Alfonsinas. I'm not bringing my kayak this trip, so I wanted to get to the better beach by land.

I'm thinking I'll just tell the guard we're going for lunch, then stop to fish before getting to Alfonsinas.

stillnbaja - 5-6-2024 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
Thanks for the info guys. I've fished a lot of the beach from Rancho Grande to Punta Final. The fishing is best between Rancho Grande and Alfonsinas. I'm not bringing my kayak this trip, so I wanted to get to the better beach by land.

I'm thinking I'll just tell the guard we're going for lunch, then stop to fish before getting to Alfonsinas.

yup you know the drill...hammer that buoy line!

David K - 5-7-2024 at 08:48 AM

Been getting replies on the Gonzaga Facebook pages. Yes, tell the guard near the gas station that you are going to the restaurant and then go fishing. Another said you could go to Rancho Grande and pay a day use fee.

BeachSeeker - 5-7-2024 at 02:37 PM

Thanks David. I’m trying to get further North along the beach than Rancho Grande, and if I’m remembering correctly, there are rocks or something blocking the beach at the end of RG. I’ve made my way past that guard before. I’ll likely just go that route. Thanks.

David K - 5-7-2024 at 04:52 PM

Thanks David. I’m trying to get further North along the beach than Rancho Grande, and if I’m remembering correctly, there are rocks or something blocking the beach at the end of RG. I’ve made my way past that guard before. I’ll likely just go that route. Thanks.

Where you hoping to park, near or on the beach?
Here is a photo from 2011 that shows the rock seawall at the end of the Rancho Grande runway, looking towards Alfonsina's:

BeachSeeker - 5-7-2024 at 10:43 PM

Yeah those are the rocks I was talking about that will keep me from driving North from RG.

Ideally I would drive along the beach seaward of the houses and just park wherever I want to fish. However, if that doesn't look like a good idea, I'll just park behind Alfonsinas and walk to fish.

mtgoat666 - 5-8-2024 at 09:07 AM

Yeah those are the rocks I was talking about that will keep me from driving North from RG.

Ideally I would drive along the beach seaward of the houses and just park wherever I want to fish. However, if that doesn't look like a good idea, I'll just park behind Alfonsinas and walk to fish.

Is that a beach people drive on? I cant imagine all those houses along the beach encourage people driving up/down the beach when 100 ft inland is a fine road that parallels the beach…
Walking is good for cardiovascular health. If you got too much stuff to carry, do like many people that visit public beaches and pull a beach cart with your beach junk.
Better yet, take a paddle board and fish from a SUP (paddling is also good for health).

David K - 5-8-2024 at 09:30 AM

No, it isn't fun anymore with so many people now there... lol.
There was a sign asking to not drive on the beach several years ago.
No such sign in 1986 when I took this photo from the trail up the island and my Subaru down below. Gonzaga was never like San Felipe and the 'South Campos' where the beach is a regular route of travel. Just so much less populated. A car or buggy here or there was never a big deal.

BeachSeeker - 5-8-2024 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Is that a beach people drive on? I cant imagine all those houses along the beach encourage people driving up/down the beach when 100 ft inland is a fine road that parallels the beach…
Walking is good for cardiovascular health. If you got too much stuff to carry, do like many people that visit public beaches and pull a beach cart with your beach junk.
Better yet, take a paddle board and fish from a SUP (paddling is also good for health).

I appreciate your concern for my health. I can assure you that you can rest easy tonight, I'm very healthy.