Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dengue
LaRibereņa
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 05:19 PM
Dengue

What's the word on dengue in Baja Sur, esp. the East Cape? How can you protect yourself? How long will this last? We are wondering if we should postpone our trip. Thanks for any info.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 06:20 PM

They've been spraying to kill the mosquitos. Don't postpone your trip. Wear mosquito repellant. Keep standing water in your yard cleaned up so mosquito larvae won't thrive there. Do a search on the symptoms and if you get them, head for San Lucas or La Paz hospital. This is very similar to West Nile Virus in California.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 06:27 PM

There's a lot of good info on Fred's board posted under Dengue on September 5th.
LaRibereņa
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 07:36 PM
Need address for Fred's board

Thought I had 'em all! E
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 08:23 PM

Fred's aka Baja California Travelers
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 04:38 PM

I've changed my opinion after talking to someone that came from the East Cape after hurricane Ignacio. He said the bugs were horrible and a phonecall from another on Sunday Sept. 21st saying the arroyo going out to the Punta Arena lighthouse is already full from just last night's rain. Now with Marty, (the hurricane) it's going to be peey for a while longer, so I WOULD delay a bit. Just my opinion.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 10:24 PM

I just spent 5 days in the cape. A friend said there were over a hundred people in the local hospital with Dengue. I used 100% Deet, never saw or heard a mosquito, and got bit all to hell. By the way, what is the incubation period? :O

For me, the most dangerous part of the trip was a store with a step down at the threshold. I walked in a fell flat on my face and sprained my right ankle. :(
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 10:36 PM

Jeans hows Leo ? Are you home and safe from Marty?
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reefrocket
Jeans hows Leo ? Are you home and safe from Marty?

Thanks, Reefrocket. Yes.. I am home. I didn't know about Marty until this morning at Cielito Lindo.

Leo is hangng in there. I will post more about that later.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 09:59 AM
Dengue

Get your major medical travel insurance from Armchair World

Dengue Fever
by
Alan Spira, M.D., DTM&H

Somewhere in Tanzania, maybe it was in Uganda, a lucky mosquito found its prey, zoomed in on its target and stole some blood from an unlucky human. This bite began innocently enough - happening during the day, not causing much of an itch - but several days later it lost all pretense of innocence. Lethargy, an unusual amount of tiredness, was the first sign that something was going awry. It was soon followed by a headache behind the eyes that throbbed and pounded, with a sensation of pressure like a kettle brewing and boiling. A fever, mild at first, but later intense with sweating, came bundled with ferocious muscle aches. These aches were rooted deep in the calves and back, and felt like being punched from the inside-out. The once-dinner-for-a-stray mosquito became apathetic and lost all appetite. What on earth could this be? Malaria? Typhoid? What, what, what?

A funny pink rash showed up soon after. It didn't itch, it didn't bleed, it didn't hurt. It just spread - over the chest, belly, and back. It, along with the fever, lightened after two days but just two days later returned with even greater dramatic force. Ah, I think we have enough clues and a diagnosis now...

Dengue Fever (pronounced 'Dhen Gey') is a viral infection common throughout the tropical regions of the world. It is spread by the day-biting Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus mosquitoes, and the poor sap above happens to be yours truly. Epidemics occur roughly every three to five years, and a worldwide pandemic is happening now. Among the areas most affected recently are India, Viet Nam and the Caribbean. Cases happen in Mexico often, and even in South Texas. This virus has four flavors, called serotypes, which are creatively named 1,2,3 and 4. Getting infected with one serotype does not protect you against the other serotypes; in fact, getting a second dengue infection, particularly with type 2, leads to an even worse infection. This manifests as either Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever or Dengue Shock Syndrome, which can be fatal. These are particularly dangerous in children, who suffer the most and who are at the greatest risk of dying from dengue. Still, most cases of dengue are benign (not-serious), ending after approximately 7 days.

Dengue has a short incubation period - often days, usually less than a week. The signs and symptoms of dengue include a sudden, rapidly climbing fever, a severe headache, nausea & vomiting, loss of appetite, rash and deep muscle and joint pains. The disease is nicknamed 'breakbone fever' for these last two symptoms. The rash usually shows up 3-4 days after the start of the symptoms and begins on the torso, spreading out to the face, arms and legs.

There can be a few days respite but the fever and rash often recur, and this is known as the 'saddleback pattern'. With Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever the blood cells are crippled and bleeding develops - in the gums, the skin, the intestinal tract. With the shock syndrome the blood vessels don't work quite right, and the blood pressure drops precipitously; as a result the blood fails to meet the metabolic demands of the cells in the body - which is the definition of shock.

Well then, what can we do about it? There is no vaccine and there is no cure, so if one contracts dengue, the treatment is 'supportive' - which means rest, plenty (and I mean plenty) of fluids, acetaminophen (Tylenol), and hospitalization if the hemorrhagic fever or shock forms develop.

This leaves us with prevention, the most sensible option (well, really the only option). To prevent contracting this nasty little virus, let's learn a little more about its flying harbinger of ill. The Aedes mosquito likes to bite in the morning and afternoons, often indoors or in the shade. The mosquito, Aedes species, is a day biter; so during daylight hours, in areas where mosquitoes are present, protect yourself by properly using anti-mosquito measures. These include wearing repellents, such as DEET (20-30% is safe and effective) and spraying clothing with permethrin (spraying mosquito nets and tents is important, too). Alternatives include Neem oil from India, which can be drunk as a tea or worn as a lotion. Avon's Skin-So-Soft is good, but wears off too quickly to be practical. Mosquito coils do work; Vitamin B and garlic, I am sorry to report, do not work. Wearing clothing is usually a good idea, especially long sleeves, long pants or skirts. To keep from over-heating and from aggressive mosquito punctures one should wear loose-fitting clothes.

Most cases happen in urban areas, and usually at altitudes less than 4,500 feet. Aedes mosquitoes like to breed in standing water such as may be found in empty tires, flower pots, artificial ponds, etc., especially after rains. These are quite common in tropical urban areas, even around hotels. The local authorities may try to eradicate the mosquito population with spraying but these pesky aviators just keep coming back for more. Protect yourself!

Should you travel to an area where dengue is possible? Absolutely. Just remember to pack common sense with you, and protect yourself against mosquito bites. While there is no guarantee against contracting it, the odds are definitely in your favor of escaping unharmed.

Healthy Travels!

? 1998 Alan Spira M.D., The Travel Medicine Center Beverly Hills, California.

Document Date: February 13, 1998

More Topics on Travel Medicine
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 12:23 PM
More Dengue

Dengue Fever Help Line (808) 586-8352

What is dengue fever?

Dengue fever is a virus spread by certain types of mosquitoes. The disease occurs mainly in tropical Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean. It is most common during the rainy season in areas infested with infected mosquitoes. Occasionally, persons arriving from other countries may enter the United States with dengue fever. Suspected and confirmed cases of dengue fever have been reported within the state of Hawaii.

How could someone get dengue fever?

People are infected with dengue after being bitten by infected Aedes mosquitoes.

Can I get dengue fever from another person?

Dengue fever cannot be directly transmitted from person to person.

What are the symptoms of dengue fever?

The symptoms of dengue fever include sudden onset of fever, painful headaches, eye, joint, and muscle pain, and rash. The rash typically begins on the arms or legs 3 to 4 days after the onset of fever.

I think I may have dengue fever. What should I do?

Contact your doctor as soon as possible.

Is it possible for my child to have dengue fever and not appear ill?

Yes. Eighty-five percent (85%) of children who have dengue fever, have no symptoms.

Are there any long-term health effects of dengue fever?

Most people feel better in one or two weeks. Some may feel tired and depressed for several weeks. If symptoms persist, contact your doctor.

Do people die from dengue fever?

Occasionally, individuals with dengue fever experience bleeding problems. When this occurs, the illness is called dengue hemorrhagic fever. Dengue hemorrhagic fever is a very serious illness with abnormal bleeding and very low blood pressure (shock). With good treatment, death from dengue hemorrhagic fever can be kept below 1%.

When do symptoms start?

Most people start getting ill 4 to 7 days after being bitten by infected Aedes mosquitoes, but the onset can range from 3 to 14 days.

What is the treatment for dengue fever?

Bed rest, fluids and common over-the counter pain and fever medications are recommended. The use of aspirin or Ibuprofen is not recommended because of possible bleeding complications. Vaccines against dengue fever are still in development.

If you get dengue fever once, can you get it again?

Yes. There are four major types of dengue viruses. Having dengue fever with one type of dengue virus will protect a person only from that type, not a different type.

What type of dengue virus is currently in Hawaii?

Dengue virus sero type 1 was isolated from residents in East Maui.

If I don?t know what type of dengue virus I was infected with before, can I now get tested to find out?

According to the CDC, although it is possible to determine the type of dengue virus a person was previously infected with, only active cases of dengue fever are currently being tested in Hawaii.

How can I keep from getting it?

Do not be bitten by mosquitoes. Aedes mosquitoes are usually most active in the early morning hours after daybreak, in the late afternoon before dark, and anytime during the day when indoors or in shady areas. Use mosquito netting over beds, and screens on windows and doorways. Use mosquito repellent and wear appropriate clothing such as light colored, long-sleeved shirts, long pants, socks and shoes to protect from mosquito bites.

What kind of insect repellent should I use?

Repellents containing DEET. The more DEET the repellent contains, the longer lasting the effects. If you have health concerns on the use of insect rellents, contact your doctor.

Is it safe to use an insect repellent with DEET on my child?

Yes. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the use of insect repellents containing up to 30% DEET for children above the age of two months. Repellents should not be applied over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin, and should not be applied to young children's hands or near eyes or mouth. Do not allow young children to apply repellents themselves, and always follow label directions.

How can I help control the spread of dengue fever?

Aedes mosquitoes breed in standing water. Remove, repair, or empty anything that collects water, such as roof gutters, flower pots, used tires, and plastic containers around your home and work areas.

Can my pet get dengue fever or become a carrier of dengue fever?

Dogs and cats cannot get dengue fever or become carriers of dengue fever.

I have a trip to Maui scheduled for next week. Should I cancel it?

At this time, there are no travel restrictions within or into the state of Hawaii.

How can I get updated information on dengue fever in Hawaii?

The state of Hawaii, Department of Health has a dengue information website on the Internet. Log onto http://www.hawaii.gov/doh/dengue for daily updates regarding the dengue fever outbreak in Hawaii.

Compiled by the State of Hawaii Department of Health

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact the Department of Health

Return to the Dengue Fever Information Center

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Home | About DOH | Resources |
| Environment | Statistics | Vital Records |
| Regulations | Permits | Search | [ BACK ]
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 02:20 PM

Union City Cancelling Trip to Santa Rosalia

UNION CITY -- After nearly two decades of goodwill missions to a sister city in Baja California, Union City officials and community members have canceled their annual visit to Santa Rosalia after an outbreak of dengue fever in the small fishing village.
Recreation Supervisor Larry Orozco, who has made the trip to Mexico for the past 16 years, said the fever outbreak -- caused by human contact with infected mosquitoes -- has resulted in at least five deaths in the town and the surrounding area near the Sea of Cortez.
"We are just going to wait and see what happens," he said.
Nearly 20 police officers, city officials and community members, including members of the "The Friends of Santa Rosalia/Union City Sister City" group, planned to travel in October to the former copper mining town of 15,000 residents.

During the nearly weeklong 2,200-mile round trip, the group planned to deliver police equipment, including leather gearand bullet-proof vests, and a small school bus donated by the county Head Start program. They also planned to participate in the town's 118th anniversary festival.
More than a dozen members of the police department, who planned to make the trip on their motorcycles, had been collecting donations after the mayor of Santa Rosalia and 13 city officials visited Union City six months ago, Police Chief Randy Ulibarri said.
"It's stuff for our purposes that was beyond its use life," he said. "Our sister city is poor in the poorest terms and could use it."
Union City has four sister cities. The others are in Russia, India and the Philippines.
Over the past 16 years, nearly 50 community members have made the trip, delivering fire-fighting equipment, two Union City fire trucks, police cars, school buses, a mammogram machine, an X-ray machine, medical supplies, computers, slides, swings, basketball uniforms and baseball gear.
"It's really neat seeing them driving (the donated buses) all over Santa Rosalia," Orozco said. "Seeing the kids going to school, sporting events."
City officials are arranging for the delivery of equipment to reduce the adult mosquito population in the town, known for its manmade harbor and church constructed by Gustave Eiffel, who built the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
The Alameda and Napa county mosquito abatement districts have agreed to find a machine that reduces adult mosquito populations, said John Rusmiseo, district manager of the Alameda County Mosquito Abatement District.
"We can try and put some instructions together for the equipment, but it would be really good to have people with experience down there," he said.
Union City officials and community members continue to collect donations for their sister city.
"Some have talked about taking some of the equipment to the border, maybe Tijuana, Rosarito, or Ensenada," Orozco said.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.