Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Early man Baja
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 4-28-2005 at 09:18 PM
There I go again

repeating hearsay I have been told by local people rather than foreign ideas and getting called on it by those in the know.
I have absolutely no idea of dates of anything nor do I particularly care. The one difference is, I have been to many of these sites and have the scars (and photos) to prove it, not that I care about that either!
If yall want to see and hear about them, phine. Otherwise, let's talk about Phuket!:lol:

And by the way Lera, did you know there is a site within about an hour of your house that would put your panties in a bunch if you saw it?:lol: You are still invited!

And as far as "pecked stuff", that's why I haven't posted any locations or ever will on a public tourist bored..

And for those interested, I have lot's of photos and GPs coordinates of all sites in Baja at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum

Well, photos and stories anyway. Hope you enjoy them and if you got a problem with them, tell someone who cares.:lol:
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 04:34 AM
Early Migrations

There is research being done in different parts of North America showing patterns of migration, for example on the coast of British Columbia. Suggests that early man migrated by boats along coastal areas. There are also sites in different parts of the Americas that give different dates for early occupation, and this is perhaps the most controversial part of the story.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 06:04 AM
Osprey:

thanks for the link to the web-site!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 11:31 PM

JR, there's rock art all over the place--one nice example of it done a dozen years ago by a rancher Steve knows who got tired of Gringos stopping by and asking if he knew of any sites.

Rock art is fascinating and impressive and all that, but I've never seen much point in trying to guess whether it was related to religion or hunting or warfare or whatever.

Like everybody else, however, I've got a theory: Those ancient people--whoever they were--just liked drawing things and thought their art added a little class to the setting. We appreciate art just for the look of it, so why should we assume that primitive people were always dead serious in their motives?

As theories go, this one will never sell.

Lee

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 03:21 AM
Rock Art

And rock art is found not only in Baja California, but throughout the southwestern United States and northern Mexico. During my trip to New Mexico I photographed rock art at El Moro National Monument which is located between Zuni and Grants. Also at a site near Albuquerque. One of the common images is that of the snake. Choral Peppeer took several nice shots of a snake image at one of the Baja California sites, and I took pics of a similar image at El Moro. The oldest that I have photographed are in the Big Bend area, and date back 4,000-6,000 years old. Stick figures of people, hands, and geometric figures. The most impressive are shamanic figures.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 07:04 AM

Bajalera...I have been to many, if not most, of the rock art locations throughout Baja, also many in SW USA, and northern Canada along Churchill River system bordering ancient game (caribou, mammoth, etc. migration routes.) We have camped next to the sites and imagined ourselves existing back in time at the moment those drawings were made.

One thing has always been tugging at my imagination about a certain feeling about all these drawings. I have noticed from Baja to the Far North that many drawings are overlapped..like a message on top of an earlier one...kind of an ancient Baja Nomad board! We did the same things ourselves at centuries-old campsites along the old river route acrosss Canada...these campsites had been used at portages continuously since man built his first bullboat or canoe. Our art placed next to old French voyaguers signatures and musings that were 250 years old... someting like: 'Jacques loves Bridget' or 'Take this canoe and shove it!'

I get the feeling the early Baja rock artists were every bit as strange as today's artists...some liked traditional art, some liked graffitti, some liked abstract, some were insane, some were giving hunt orders or how-to seminars, some were just doddling, some were forgers, and, of course, some were religious zealots.......

Of course we can't help but compare the similarity to our own modern day pre-hunt planning sessions or pep-talks. Imagine the head hunter, shaman or 'coach' explaining to the tribe (team) just what we are going after, how we kill it, and reverance to the spirit of this living thing. A kindred spirit we respect, but must kill for our existence.

[Edited on 4-30-2005 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 09:12 AM
Although rock art

is fascinating, it isn't a high priority on my list of things to do. I have been invited to many sites by the locals, mostly because there wasn't much else to do in these areas.

The sites I have been taken to are not so much paintings but carvings and actual kitchens where the metates? are carved into the rocks. There is usually an area with LOTS of evidence of point and tool making with obsidian and the chips of these tool stones laying about.

These guys in the hills have become my friends because of the many trips I have taken into the hills delivering the badly needed donations you guys have supplied.

I was looking for places with water for bamboo and no gringos, not trying to write another book from a foreigners perspective or be able to say I was the first gringo there. (Although, I can say that about a lot of places in those hills!):lol::lol: See www.confluence.org Mexico Baja

I also have a huge arrowhead collection because that's what they give me as gifts because that and cheese are about all they have.. The pedernales will be on display in the south somewhere. I ate the cheese!

So, I guess you could say that out of dumb luck looking for confluence points and other such nonsense, I have seen some very interesting things that probably wouldn't have been seen if you were looking for them on purpose......
Fairly typical from what I have seen in life!

Now, if anyones interested in seeing some of these places in person, I will put something together. Or you can see some of them at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum
Otherwise, happy trails:lol:
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 09:43 AM

Pompano, I'll buy your thoughtful interpretation--it allows for variations that make good sense [to me, anyway].

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Now, if anyones interested in seeing some of these places in person, I will put something together.

What ever happened to the nalgas tour?:biggrin:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 11:39 AM
They just pedaled by here Dave

You should be seeing them about now!!:lol::lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 02:40 PM
What do the petroglygphs mean? Who were these early rock artists??

Who painted this.....?? And why? Puzzles lost in time.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja

They just pedaled by here Dave

You should be seeing them about now!!:lol::lol:

Saw them butt:

I am interested in a much slower paced tour.;D

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 06:44 PM
Dave

I have been thinking about this for some time--so I will take advantage of messing up this nice thread with an observation/suggestion.
I really believe that you should change your handle to Senor Succinct. It really fits your terse responses.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 08:07 PM
Shamanic Figure

Could be a shamanic figure. The Jesuits reported stories of a race of giants painting the figures.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:21 AM
Mural Painters

The Jesuits were 7,000 years too late to know about the painters. When and if my book about the rock art and it's artists is published you'll have some interesting facts and speculations to ponder.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:48 AM
Rock Art from 5,000 years ago

This example of rock art from the Big Bend region of Texas is from an occupation site dated about 5,000 years ago.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:50 AM
Try again

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:52 AM
One from near Albuquerque

[Edited on 5-1-2005 by academicanarchist]
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:20 PM

Bernie, you're so right about Senor Succinct. Dave is the most succinct regular contributor to this board and also the cleverest. His witty comments often make me laugh out loud.

Lee

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:25 PM
Lera

I share you opinion and laughter AND am so glad that I have not stumbled into his sights,

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.