Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: From The Shameless Self Promotion Department
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:05 AM
From The Shameless Self Promotion Department

This is the web site for the publisher of my next book on missions in northern Mexico and South America:

http://www.pentacle-press.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?pro...

The book will be published both as a hard copy and e-book on cd. There is also a companion cd with seven powerpoint and high resolution copies of the maps used in the book. I used several maps from the Library of Congress, including a detailed 1769 maps of the north Mexican frontier (does not include the Californias) and an 1823 map of northwestern Mexico that does include both Baja California and California. The 1823 map is interesting, because it not only lists all settlements, missions, etc, but also the political jurisdictions. The hard copy reeproduces the 170 photos in B & W, while the cd has the photos in color. The book compares the development of missions in northern Mexico and South America, and relies heavily on the cases of the Baja California and California missions. For those who want signed copies, which of course brings the value of the book down, I can make arrangements for that. I also am going to try to get to the Baja book signing next year. The book will also be distributed by the University of New Mexico Press. The pretensious and totally over the top title is: Missions and Frontiers of Spanish America: A Comparative Study of the Impact of Environmental, Economic, Political, and Socio-Cultural Variations on the Missions in the Rio de la Plata Region and on the Northern Frontier of New Spain.
On another note, if you have not visited my WebShots web site lately, I have added new mission photos to it. I revisited the New Mexico missions in March, and have added some of the shots from that trip to the web site. The url is:
http://community.webshots.com/user/aanarchist
There are photos of missions in northern Mexico, and also from South America.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:14 AM
Next Project

Again from the shameless self promotion department. My next project will be a book that will bring together quantitative data on the California and Baja California missions that I collected during the course of my research for my new book. This includes not only population data, but information on crop production and numbers of livestock. There probably will also be two sets of illustrations from the 1850s for the California missions. One is a set of drawing done by Miller of most of the California missions in 1856. They were previously published by Bellerophon Press in Santa Barbara, but I want to republish them to go along with the other set, that I recently obtained digital copies of from the Bancroft Library. After the conquest of California during the United States wat against Mexico, the U.S. set up a land court commission in San Francisco, essentially to make it as difficult as possible for Mexican landowners in California to reconfirm title to their lands. The Catholic church applied for an eventually received title to the mission sites and some surrounding lands. In 1854, surveys were done of all 21 missions, and the plat maps, which are in color, have never been published together as a complete set. Engelhardt adapted some of the maps, but only in B & W. My plan is to reproduce all 21 plat maps in color, and the Miller drawings from two years later will show what the missions looked like at about the same time.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:43 AM
1854 California Mission Plat Map

I am attaching an example of one of the 1854 plat maps, the one for Santa Clara mission. This one is interesting, because it not only shows the complex built in the early 1820s, but also the older complex that dated to the 1780s, and was in ruins by the 1850s.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:44 AM
Edited version

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 07:51 AM
Great News and Great Work!!!

thanks AA. I will look forward to you very interesting books. I will want a signed copy.

Skeet/Loreto
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 08:30 AM
Skeet

No Problema
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 08:34 AM
Population graph

Neal. My printer is out of ink. Perhaps somebody else can print it out, scan it, and post it. Sorry.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 08:55 AM

AA
A nice little program called Windom-soft ScreenhHunter 4.0 Free allows you to select a portion of the screen in front of you and produce a Jpeg file that you can post etc. Saves the printiong/scanning process. a free download from http://www.wisdom-soft.com/

Saves me a lot of paper!!

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 09:47 AM

I too look forward to your books.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.